Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  15
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: My 818R Project has arrived

Post Thanks / Like
    Jerome, is correct, the AIM would interfere with trying to flash the ECU. I do have a switch for the AIM that was installed by Iwire. For some reason even with the dash off we had the problem. Currently investigating, disconnect the K line wire and ran it directly to the ECU and we were golden.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wayne, it is killing me that I don't have time this week/weekend to run the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    I asked Corbin for 2 maps one for NASA and one to play with just because. The low boost map is 14lb 257.71hp, 227.80 torque, the high boost is 17lb 283.77 hp, 257.57 torque.
    Hi Mitch,
    great to see that your tuning experienced was successful.

We probably need to get retuned with the changes we made in the engine swap.
    TGV deletes and relocating the AIT sensor to post AWIC.

I haven't checked the NCM schedule, but I'd like to get down there in 3 or 4 weeks.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wayne, it is killing me that I don't have time this week/weekend to run the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,
    We have our event this weekend, Bluegrass BMW 9/24-25, 10/10ths 10/8-9, NASA Midwest 10/22-23 Chin Motorsports 10/29-30. I look forward to seeing you guys and my car should be out. Dropped off at the shop this morning to bolt the splitter, wing, under tray, diffuser back on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well my 818R has been let out of shop once again, this time fully clothed. It is a different and enjoyable car to drive with the front and rear bump steer dialed in and sending the time to get the alignment to the numbers I wanted to start with. Along with the tune on the engine this car has come alive, BIG SMILE. Going out again on my lunch hour tomorrow and burn a few more laps and look at the logs, plan to run a few sessions with 10/10th Saturday and Sunday and hope to tune on the chassis some. If I can find our goPro I will share a few laps.
    IMG_0036.JPGIMG_0037.JPGIMG_0038.JPGIMG_0039.JPGIMG_0041.JPGIMG_0042.JPGIMG_0043.JPGIMG_0045.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 10-06-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Mitch!! It looks great. I hope it performs well for you this weekend. I am interested to see what you think of it on the track after the alignment and bump steer changes. That is on my to-do list as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had it out today, it is a completely different car compared to when I go karted. The car no longer darts around and unpredictable, it now really comfortable with good seat of the pants feel and feed back and really fun.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    These cars are very alignment sensitive but very fun when you get the alignment right.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mitch,
    I wish we could be out there with you.
    We are still waiting on some dry sump parts before we track it again.
    Good luck
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mitch, looking really nice, will be interested in your final alignment numbers and your track data on all the sensors.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do Tony, plan to run the car again later today a bit more aggressively than yesterday and down load the data.
    Current baseline alignment specs on the car:
    Front
    .062 total toe in
    +6* caster
    -2.6 camber
    3.5" ride height
    Bump steer (from memory) from static ride height 1" drupe 2" compression .010 max change.
    350lb front springs
    Dampeners set on softest setting

Rear:
    -3* camber
    .1875 total toe in
    3.75 rear ride height
    Bump steer from static ride height 1" drupe 2" compression .015 max change.
    500lb rear springs
    dampeners on softest setting.

Tires BFG R1S

The car is comfortable to drive so for me it is a good place to start. I am getting some tire rub on the RF so far not a big concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, understand but look forward to seeing you guys when you are ready to roll.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would bump the rebound up 50% on the shocks. That helped the car alot.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    I would bump the rebound up 50% on the shocks. That helped the car alot.

I agree with how smooth the surface is at NCM track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got in 2 sessions short shakedown sessions Friday then back to the shop to address the front fender tire rub (running 235/40X17 BFG R1S fronts). Was able to play with both fenders and gained a 1/2" of additional clearance on both fenders. Got in 3 sessions Sunday and happy to report the car feels really good and have a great starting point to tune on the chassis.
    I did park the car due to loss of clutch hydraulics, found that slave actuating rod/piston was lying between the salve and bellhouse. I am going to look first to see if I need to add a pedal stop to limit the travel of the Wilwood clutch pedal.
    Any additional ideas on the cause I would love to hear them. I have ordered a new slave so hope to have the car back out late in the week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got in 2 sessions short shakedown sessions Friday then back to the shop to address the front fender tire rub (running 235/40X17 BFG R1S fronts). Was able to play with both fenders and gained a 1/2" of additional clearance on both fenders. Got in 3 sessions Sunday and happy to report the car feels really good and have a great starting point to tune on the chassis.
    I did park the car due to loss of clutch hydraulics, found that slave actuating rod/piston was lying between the salve and bellhouse. I am going to look first to see if I need to add a pedal stop to limit the travel of the Wilwood clutch pedal.
    Any additional ideas on the cause I would love to hear them. I have ordered a new slave so hope to have the car back out late in the week.
    That is good news. Just a few minor problems.
    I can't wait to get back down there.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a screen shot from my AIM dash, I neglected to start the data collection on Access Port. Darn still much to learn. Anyway here is a screen shot from the data collected the third session out in the car starting to pick up the pace. Next time out I will have lap times and the oil temp reading corrected, it is not 400+ degrees it is reading that when the car is cold. I am running a wet sump. Screenshot (1).png

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a screen shot from my AIM dash, I neglected to start the data collection on Access Port. Darn still much to learn. Anyway here is a screen shot from the data collected the third session out in the car starting to pick up the pace. Next time out I will have lap times and the oil temp reading corrected, it is not 400+ degrees it is reading that when the car is cold. I am running a wet sump. Screenshot (1).png
    Great to see you got some run time in.
    It will be good to see some more data once you have that all sorted.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob do you have your car up and running? Chin Motorsports is here this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch wright View Post
    bob do you have your car up and running? Chin motorsports is here this weekend.
    maybe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mitch, the data is looking good, looking forward to more data
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too, the page I posted was my third session in the car and running about 7/10ths. So I know the G loads I will be seeing will be higher. If I can make some time to get down to the shop this week to fix the clutch slave and add some rebound I will get the car out this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    car looks good on track mitch car.jpg
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 11-09-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    car look good on track
    Driver looks too short !
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    Driver looks too short !
    Better for aerodynamics
    bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like he will actually pass the broomstick test, with the front end of the stick resting on the cage and not the plexiglass wind deflector.
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony I am a massive 5'8" I did want to sit as low as I could in the car to keep the CG as low as possible and to make sure I could pass the broom stick test, I do with room to spare. I was worried when I first sat in the car with body completely installed that I might have a visibility problem but it is not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks great, Mitch! I like the red. I think I'll vinyl mine. Saw the exhaust/rear.
    Are you running without heating issues and are you happy with the top-mount intercooler?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Glyn, I like the red too. I think it will pop with a little more shine once I get a chance to buff the gelcoat. Yes so far with the limited on track testing (5 sessions) I have done the TMIC seems to be doing the job. I just took off the intercooler to weld in a bung to log temp the after the IC. No heat issues at all water temp has not been hotter than 180* on track and got the oil temp sender working and haven't seen over 220 I am only running the OEM heat exchanger 5 on track sessions so far. I am also running a wet sump, so far the oil pressure logs look really good but with only limited laps (1.5 G so far) and know the car has a lot more in it. SO data will tell as the speed comes up.
    Had a clutch issue last time out, got the trans out today and as suspected the TO bearing has come apart. I believe I broke my own rule and used an aftermarket release bearing.
    Also had Wayne send me a Radium fuel catch can for my cell, so I will put that in while waiting for the TO bearing. We have 2 long fast RH corners at NCM and could get a fuel bobble/starvation with 4 gals in the cell.

Have a long list of things to test when I get the car back together, just added rebound to the shocks. Then start playing with spring rates (currently 300Frt, 500Rear) have 350-450# and 550-600# to try.

Anyway I am having fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a chance to get some work done on my car with the hope of getting out and enjoying the 70+ weather. Well got carried away on taking care of some things to improve serviceability and stuff I just wasn't 100% happy with. I was also lucky enough to have Wayne stop by on his way to PRI to look the car over and make some suggestions and comments.
    Anyway didn't get out to burn some laps but did move, change or improve a number of items. Like moving my data port to make it easier to get to, replace the leaking cheap plastic coolant recovery tank with a Canton tank (Something I cheeped out on while building), rethinking the front and rear belly pan mounts for ease of service and reroute some of my Iwire engine harness. Never did make it out on track yesterday but I have been thinking about this stuff for a while and feels great to get them done.
    Front Belly Pan Mount.jpgRear Belly pan.jpgFront bellypan.jpg

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the splitter mounting pics. I'm going to be mounting mine in a couple weeks and those will come in handy.

Post Thanks / Like
    To cold to play on track today so spent the day polishing, buffing and waxing the gelcoat. Looks pretty good if I do say myself.IMG_0130.JPGIMG_0131.JPGIMG_0132.JPGIMG_0133.JPG
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 12-30-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Billy Ray, now sit back and admire your work.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow looks good. I need to do that as well. What polishing compounds did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.
    Used some Mothers Polishing compound and Mothers wax that was laying around the shop.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 12-30-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Love The Color!

Post Thanks / Like
    Purdyyyyyyyy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it is been so cold figured I should get the car ready for our booth at the Louisville Auto Show the 20th-22nd. And I guess the car is now officially a race car.

IMG_0150.JPGIMG_0152.JPGIMG_0153.JPGIMG_0154.JPG

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks very nice Mitch.
    Have you moved the intake air temp sensor to after the intercooler?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast