Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: My 818R Project has arrived

Post Thanks / Like
    looking great ! Looks slower than the white gel coat though
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!! I hope mine comes out as shiny with buffing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! I'm seriously jealous over your shop. Out here, nobody seems to build things like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks Great!
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Looks very nice Mitch.
    Have you moved the intake air temp sensor to after the intercooler?
    Wayne,
    If you relocate the sensor. Is a retune required?
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne, I have a AEM ATS 30-2014 in the intercooler. My plan is to log air temp through my AIM MXL dash, I am on hold until I hear back from AIM to verify what I need to do to hook it up. If you have a suggestion I am all ears.

Tony, might be but it looks BAD FAST. LOL

Thanks Zack, I actually have the car at my work place. The shop I was in just got sold, the good news is we have our eye on a place we are looking to buy that has a beautiful shop. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Gator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! Will you be doing rear wheel fender liners? I like how you have the side vent opening pretty well maximized for opening size. What function will they serve?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going back and forth on the pros and cons of installing inner fenders. I have a set of Kevlar/carbon inner fenders from a GTD car or Install a plastic inner fender. Not in a big hurry right now as it is much easier to make changes as I am sorting the car.
    The RS vent is the cold air intake Air Box inlet.JPGAir Box top.JPG Air box back 2.JPGthe LS is just open.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 01-09-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    I am going back and forth on the pros and cons of installing inner fenders. I have a set of Kevlar/carbon inner fenders from a GTD car or Install a plastic inner fender. Not in a big hurry right now as it is much easier to make changes as I am sorting the car.
    The RS vent is the cold air intake Air Box inlet.JPGAir Box top.JPG Air box back 2.JPGthe LS is just open.
    So if you use the side vents with any tubing for cooling then you have to shield the hose somehow so either fender liner or hose liner as the Dragonfly team was eating up hoses because of the tires and crap that comes off it. I went with the fender liner, need to invent a better finder liner someday
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I would install the rears for sure- Keeps everything a lot cleaner back there- You dont want crap being thrown around in the back.. I just used the front and the side triangle piece in the front. I left the front rear piece out for more airflow.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am with Chad on this one. I am amazed at the amount of rubber I find, all over the car, even with the inner fenders he describes above.

I also had an issue with the AWIC radiator getting pelted. Before I bought the car, Chad had installed some expanded metal in the openings on the front of the car. I added some nomex honeycomb right on the face of the radiator. Even the nomex has taken a few "hits" through the expanded metal. The nomex had no measureable impact on cooling efficiency either. I did a day at 104 ambient with +10 on the AWIC and 195 on the engine coolant. I'd rather have that than bent fins. I also get a fair bit of rubber in the pan behind the radiator - likely from a round the front wheel. No biggie. Just a little shop vac work.

The rear inners seem to work well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Odd. We have no inner fender wells, and found little if any build up in the pan, BUT, we are full flat/tunnel underbody with very little space between the tires and tray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    Odd. We have no inner fender wells, and found little if any build up in the pan, BUT, we are full flat/tunnel underbody with very little space between the tires and tray.
    You are also running your designed splitter ! The FFR one has a lip and it attracts all the rocks and tire crap.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    The rears are a must. Without them rocks and other road debris will get thrown all over the engine bay. I've wanted to find some cheap plastic liners (probably from a high production volume car) that would fit. The aluminum tubs in the rear don't seem to fit properly as designed.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, you blocked off the area between the side sail and frame at the elbow joint on the coolant line. Does it prevent any air flow or it's actually beneficial for something?
    Maybe cuz you had no inner fenders so you wanted to prevent rocks from going in there?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Those panels are to prevent debris out of the rockers. Don't see a need for air flow through the rocker, I am running a OEM radiator so far the hottest the car has gotten on track is 185 on a 90* day. I am also just running the OEM oil-water heat exchanger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too cold to get out on track so took my 818 to the Louisville Auto Show in the NCM Motorsports Park and National Corvette Museum display.
    Louisville Auto Show 1.jpgLouisville Auto Show 2.jpg
    Jimi Day's really well prepared and really cool USCC LS Powered 69 AMX "What is That"louisville Autoshow 3.jpg
    All 4 generations of ZO6 Corvettes C2 (1 of 6 factory race cars) C5, C6 and C7 louisville Autoshow 4.jpg
    Louisville Autoshow 5.jpg
    Louisville Autoshow 6.jpg
    As others have experienced got a ton of questions "What is that??" which was fun. What was interesting a fair number of under 35 guys had read about the 818 and knew what it was.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 01-24-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is cool Mitch!
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mitch,
    Looks great.
    Did you spend time at the show explaining to everyone what it was?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome pics!!! Looks great with the aero bits and decals and polish job you did on the gel-coat. Shame to get it all dirty on the track now haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, yes I was there all 3 days and we made up reader boards for all the cars with details.

Thanks Hindsight, the cars looks fantastic from 10', its far from perfect but a 90 point car for a race car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, really great pix. It also makes the car look so small besides those big American cars.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a while since I have posted, my R is running great. Next project on the car is making a front sway bar which I hope to get started on soon now that we are 60% moved in to our new home/shop.
    Anyway I have been thinking about my next project which I have been thinking about for years actually. Well this just landed on my door step 3-4 front.jpgFalcon Front.jpgFalcon side.jpg 64 Falcon that is in really good shape. The plan is a Pro Touring car build using a 3.5L Ecoboost, T56 trans. It runs and drives with its current 200ci 6 for now while I gather parts for a winter(s) project start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a while since I have posted, my R is running great. Next project on the car is making a front sway bar which I hope to get started on soon now that we are 60% moved in to our new home/shop.
    Anyway I have been thinking about my next project which I have been thinking about for years actually. Well this just landed on my door step 3-4 front.jpgFalcon Front.jpgFalcon side.jpg 64 Falcon that is in really good shape. The plan is a Pro Touring car build using a 3.5L Ecoboost, T56 trans. It runs and drives with its current 200ci 6 for now while I gather parts for a winter(s) project start.
    Very nice, we have a 64 Falcon here in SOVREN Racing league that has a 302 that runs about 600HP and spools to 8500 RPM its a screamer
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats cool, I have gone back and forth between old school 302, LS and 5.0 Coyote which would be fun, then I drove a buddies F150 with a 3.5 Ecoboost. I was impressed plus its lighter and different. Got a ton of planning to do but looking forward getting in to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had the 818R out Saturday for our Trackcross event, 1) This car is fun to drive and responds well to chassis changes. 2) No I have gotten my front sway bar built yet, I have the shop sorta sorted out at the house so I will take the car home this week. 3) I have moved to the IAT sensor close to the throttle body on the bottom tank of the TMIC, happy to report the highest intake temp I saw while on track was 94* the ambient temp was 88* 3) Sorry no video, I promise I will get the camera put on the car next time out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got around to finishing mocking up my front sway bar today. Need to find the front links now, they have gone missing in the move. But it fits, time to make the real thing.IMG_0432.JPGIMG_0430.JPG

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Can't wait to see this working. I'm curious as to how well those welds hold up. That has been my biggest concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never had an issue and have made bars from 3/4-2" from solid to .065 wall.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mitch, have you finalized the front bar setup yet? If so, would love to see pics of the finished product.

Are you planning on having the whole bar heat-treated after you've welded it up? Did you use 4130, 4140, or something else for the bar?

I'm getting ready to start on mine. I'd really like to have it ready before my next track day in September.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jeff, don't bug him on his birthday!!!
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh, happy belated birthday Mitch!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the birthday wishes.
    Yes I have one bar done, only have 6 laps on it. Pleased with the change so far but really need more time to evaluate A/B testing. I have been crazy busy at work but did get a chance to take 4 days off to run up to Indy to run the Global MX5 races.
    As soon as a have time I will get some pictures and A/B report.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG-0709.JPGIMG-0711.JPG
    Since I have the fenders off while preping the car thought I would show off the front sway bar I installed last fall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! That is almost exactly what I want to do. What are the parts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I have the fenders off while preping the car thought I would show off the front sway bar I installed last fall.
    Such nice stuff all around and that ugly adapter to the UCA and that gawd-awful heavy spindle.

Post Thanks / Like
    BBJones,
    The sliders and pillow blocks can from Merlin Racing In the UK, they are pretty inexpensive. I am traveling back on Wednesday night, when home I will get you the web address and part numbers. The links are the units supplied with the kit that I shorten up with a 3/8 to 5/16 rod end for the slider.

Scargo,
    Up but the good news is with fenders and wheels on you can’t see them. Maybe I should paint them aluminum ��
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 03-05-2018 at 08:18 PM.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scargo,
    Up but the good news is with fenders and wheels on you can’t see them. Maybe I should paint them aluminum ��
    Eh, Just get the Mooresport billet uprights all around what's another 12k at this point?

you'd still need the steel adapters... best just to have them made custom... What's another 20k at this point?
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 03-06-2018 at 06:37 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the link to Merlin Motorsports as a source for sway bar parts that I used.
    https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s...bar-components

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Eh, Just get the Mooresport billet uprights all around what's another 12k at this point?

you'd still need the steel adapters... best just to have them made custom... What's another 20k at this point?
    I bought Billet Uprights upgrade for the NP01- it was $2500 total for 4. These things house Cadillac CTS hubs and are big. $12k for Mooresport Billet uprights is crazy talk.

Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast