BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gearing up for a new Build

Post Thanks / Like

Gearing up for a new Build

Good morning everyone. I made the decision to purchase a coupe and working to get my wife to endorse and support the build. I've spent the last few years saving for the project and the last few months reading through the forums to get a sense of what I'm about to get involved with in terms time, cost, and complexity. I've also watched many of the Factory Five Videos on You Tube. What I need help with is how to configure my car. There is no plan to use a donor car. I don't expect to ever race the car, but I want a project that results in a safe, fun-to-drive, well handling, relatively comfortable car and I have questions and hope you guys can help:

1. There is an option for IRS. Is this important? What would it give me over the standard configuration?

2. I love the look and sound of a carbureted car and have seen pictures of an 8-stack set-up.

Is that an option that's readily available? Which motors will accomodate it? What should I expect to pay for it?

3. How do I know which transmission and rear end to select?

This is all I have for now and look forward participating in this forum as I'm sure there will be many other questions.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Orrin,

Good questions. I'll address the IRS question ... it is more expensive but gives a better ride quality. Where are you located and what are the roads like where you live? If you live where the roads are generally smooth you may not need IRS. Best idea would be to find out if there are Factory Five cars in your area and see if you can get a ride in the 3 link rear suspension and also the IRS for comparison purposes.

I'll let the experts advise you on engine/transmission packages. There are multiple vendors on this website that can give you the best advice based on your stated usage of the car. Check the "Vendors" link in the tool bar at the top of the page.

You mention "relatively comfortable" ... these cars can be made to be somewhat civilized but they are in reality, thinly-disguised race cars. They will never be as comfortable as a Corvette or Porsche but they are totally unique in appearance and feel. I've got 17,000 miles on my coupe and love driving it, on the road as well as occasional track days.

I highly recommend the Mott Community Build School. They are a great resource and will be a great investment in the long run.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Garry, Thanks for your response. I live in Phoenix and the roads are exceptional (smooth). I want to avoid being penny-wise and pound foolish and hope to make smart choices. Ride quality is important to me. So, IRS is probably a box that I will check. Look forwward to other responses related to to the engine/transmission options.

I plan to attend the school and look forward to ordering my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Orrin,
    I have seen (and heard) the 8-stack on many engines. They look killer and are a LOT easier to keep running than a set of Webbers. They are available for all of the small block engine configurations on the market. I have seen a coupe with a big block, but it took a lot of modifications to get it to work.Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 3 link in mine and the ride is better than I expected, it is fairly pleasant.
    I believe that the eight stack setup's your seeing are EFI not carb. $2K+
    I bought A rebuilt long block (90, 302) from Oreily for $1300. with A warranty, fine for A street car. With carb.
    A 92 or older T5 trans the 93,94 are longer and will cause you drive shaft problems.
    I used A 98 mustang rear, slightly wider than the Fox rear but fit's better under the coupe. And I still say 3.27 is the best all around gear.
    Chaz...

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with that Chaz, mine are 3.55 and I wish I had 3.27. Seems like you run out of first gear right of the bat.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to give you some options on the engine packages we offer.
    www.fordcobraengines.com

Post Thanks / Like
    IRS is the better suspension. Also it's cost will be, at least partially, recovered at sale time. I am a strong advocate of 351Windsor engines. They give a few extra cubes which makes getting 400-450 hp easy to do in a mildly built very streetable state of tune. A TKO 500 trans has the same ratios as a mustang T5 but handles more torque while still being a nice smooth shifter. I agree on the 327 or 331 rear gear.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.