Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coupe body differences

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe body differences

Can someone tell/show me body shape differences between the coupes? When I compare photos of a Superpeformance body and a FF Coupe, the SP's rear carries the body panel further under the rear allowing the stripe detail to be carried underneath the car. Is the FF body the same way?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it is not. If the donor tank is used, you will even likely have to trim more of the rear underbody away. If you use a fuel cell, depending on size, you could build up that are to look more like the SP if you wanted. Keep in mind these two are not an apple to apple comparison thanks to the huge price difference between the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate the way the superformance one looks. In person, it looks weird.

The car is low enough that you won't ever even notice this small detail.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13
    Build thread: HERE

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    I hate the way the superformance one looks. In person, it looks weird.

The car is low enough that you won't ever even notice this small detail.

You know, that's what they said about the original coupe back in 1964! Here's a comparison with Peter Brock's commentary:

We don’t often get to see a direct comparison of the correct Daytona Coupe shape with a real Daytona Coupe that was “interpreted” by the Italians. CSX 2299, the real Daytona Coupe, that won the GT class at Le Mans, on the right was built with a “Ferrari roof line” in Modena in 1964 by Carrozzeria Grand Sport. The car on the left, a recent copy of the Daytona was built by HiTech/Superformance in South Africa and has the correct roof line as used on CSX2299 (the first Daytona coupe, which was the only one built in the USA) That car is in the Simeone Museum in Philadelphia. The slight difference in size for the two cars is due to the FIA rules that mandated zero changes in chassis dimensions for the original Daytona when it was built back in 1964. I extended the wheelbase by 3” on the copy to better accommodate its use as a comfortable GT car for the street. Otherwise the proportions are the same. All the rest of the four original race cars built in Italy have a “more correct” roofline. Peter Brock

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Orrin,

I stopped by BRE in Henderson, NV on my way out to California back in 2012. I parked my FFR coupe next to one of the Brock's coupes for some side by side comparison photos.

I sat in the Superformance Coupe and found it to be a little tighter fit. My left shoulder brushed up against the door ... I think the FFR version is a little roomier, also a 95" wheelbase vs. the Superformance 93" wheelbase. The Superformance is a factory car and the lovely interior certainly outdoes my FFR, though some very talented builders have done FFR interiors that equal or exceed the Superformance Coupes.

The Superformance Coupe replicates the original Daytona Coupe very closely, while the Factory Five coupe is more of an approximate replica. That being said, I LOVE the shape of the FFR Coupe and it draws huge amounts of attention wherever I take it.

Hope this helps answer your questions..

Garry
    Last edited by Garry Bopp; 08-24-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    I sure miss my coupe!

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry Gary, but I think we all know that this comparison was never a "fair fight"... While Brock's coupe is certainly a beautiful car, yours absolutely oozes coolness. And no matter how you look at your car, it just looks wicked fast. How do you ever catch up with it in order to get into it? I mean it's always going 100+ while it's sitting still...

Maybe be it's just me... Naaaahhhh!!!!!!!

Once again, Gorgeous car Gary!

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Mike. I've found that on the racetrack ... the car is faster than me ... but I'm catching up to it, slowly ...

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!