Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First test drive of my 818

Post Thanks / Like

First test drive of my 818

Did my first test drive of my 818 yesterday. Other than a complete loss of brakes, it went pretty well. The brakes were bad right from the start. found lots of air in the system when I got it back home. I took it to a large parking lot near my house and just drove it back and forth. The parking lot is large enough for me to get it up to about 45 miles an hour. Seemed to run ad perform pretty good. Never overheated. Turning radius is horrible. Need to work on that. Overall I am pretty happy. Still not the "kick in the pants" of my Z06 but pretty fast.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Mike, that is an achievement! How long have you been working on it? I just bought a donor 2004 WRX and ordered my kit today, so my journey is just beginning.

Is your engine stock or modified? Will you modify it to surpass your Z06 experience.... ?

Good luck with your continued build. Do you have a build log? I couldnt find one on the forum.

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Mike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Did my first test drive of my 818 yesterday. Other than a complete loss of brakes, it went pretty well. The brakes were bad right from the start. found lots of air in the system when I got it back home. I took it to a large parking lot near my house and just drove it back and forth. The parking lot is large enough for me to get it up to about 45 miles an hour. Seemed to run ad perform pretty good. Never overheated. Turning radius is horrible. Need to work on that. Overall I am pretty happy. Still not the "kick in the pants" of my Z06 but pretty fast.
    Mike
    Great news Mike,
    Time to start playing with the new toy.

Do you think the air in the brake lines was caused by leaking flare fittings?
    Why is your turning radius so bad?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben. Here is a link to my build site. My engine is stock but could use a tune

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-build-thread

I have had the car for about 1.5 years and have been working on it when I have time.
    Bob. I didn't find any leaks so I am not sure. Could have been there all along or could have been trapped in the hoses going to the master cylinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! You're right, it's no Z06 but still a fun ride.

The turn radius is truly terrible - even worse than my Evo, which used to be the worst turn radius car I'd ever driven. Is there really anything that can be done to improve it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Buzz. Narrower tires is the only way I can see to fix it.
    Mike

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats! glad you got the brakes worked out before you got it up to speed.

I miss my 87 rx7, it could U-turn even the narrowest of streets.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Mike. The turning radius will always be an issue on the 818 IMO. I think the frame should be modified to allow proper tire clearance. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    No I just kept pumping them until is stopped. They work good now that they are bled.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone measured the turning radius? I'm bummed to hear that! I just bought my donor and paid kit deposit...I hope it is not as bad as you all say! I guess it really is a track car first and street car second.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember driving my wife's evo and that thing had a pretty bad turning radius so if the 818 is worse, it's not the best news but at the same time not a deal breaker. I think it's a small sacrifice.

Post Thanks / Like
    How bad of a turning radius are we talking? I have owned a z06 as well and thought that turning radius was bad. Is it worse than the vette?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 225's on the front, and it's much worse than my Evo. I hate to go much narrower than that. I will try to measure the turning radius the next time I have the car out.

I have some 175's on my Impreza wagon that I plan to throw on my 818 in a few days just to make moving it around a little easier as I work on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its way worse than my Z06 but then I never really thought the Vette was that bad. Please understand this not all Factory Fives fault. I have wider than recommended tires on mine.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I running 225's in front and have the same turning radius as the OEM 06 Subaru,
    Full lock to lock with no rubbing.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My front tires are 215/45/17s
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, sorry to have hijacked your thread. We should start a new turn radius thread. I'm glad your first drive went well (although 45 mph without brakes sounds pretty scary to me).

Post Thanks / Like
    Any video of the first drive? We want to see!

And I really can't imagine turning radius being a deal breaker... at least not imo. I haven't noticed anything particularly weird in our 818's turning radius. We are running 235's for street tires (rub slightly at full lock) and 245's for race tires (don't rub because they are 15's).

And the 818 is no Z06? That's an easy fix with a few upgrades Quick google search tells me that the 2015 Z06 weighs 3524lbs and dyno'd at 585 RWHP (i'm using WHP because that's what I can compare to our 818 dyno results), which is a lbs per whp of 6.02. Our 818 dyno'd at 310whp for break in, and assuming 1800lbs, gives it a ratio of 5.8. Plus that's just our break in tune....
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    Any video of the first drive? We want to see!

And I really can't imagine turning radius being a deal breaker... at least not imo. I haven't noticed anything particularly weird in our 818's turning radius. We are running 235's for street tires (rub slightly at full lock) and 245's for race tires (don't rub because they are 15's).

And the 818 is no Z06? That's an easy fix with a few upgrades Quick google search tells me that the 2015 Z06 weighs 3524lbs and dyno'd at 585 RWHP (i'm using WHP because that's what I can compare to our 818 dyno results), which is a lbs per whp of 6.02. Our 818 dyno'd at 310whp for break in, and assuming 1800lbs, gives it a ratio of 5.8. Plus that's just our break in tune....
    Mike, No Video, no happened.

Tamra, You know what the scary comparison is.
    Tire patch per lbs of car. Running 245s on 818 is like running 495s on the vet.
    This car should eat the vet's lunch in the twisties.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I will take video next time. I am hoping there wont be a next time before I get it on the road. Just waiting to hear back from the State police for my inspection.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    If the turning radius is too wide for you, just add throttle!!

Congrats on the first drive, I hope mine goes so well.
    Kit #295 Picked up 11/26/2014!