Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The state of Michigan requires bumpers...?

Post Thanks / Like

The state of Michigan requires bumpers...?

The state of Michigan requires bumpers on their inspection that will be done by the state police. How have my fellow Michigander coupe builders dealt with this? It is the only thing that I am really worried about when it comes inspection time. Will they just overlook it or should I come up with some cheesy little bumper looking things just to get past the inspection?

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Missouri and before I ordered my coupe I had several questions about licensing so I went to the guy's that do the inspecting. I wasn't sure about emisions and safety equipment so I asked. They said... That's manufacture's s#$& and your the manufacture we don't care. Go to the source.
    Chaz...

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to recall a post from someone in NY who had to install internal ones behind the bodywork

Post Thanks / Like
    Every state is different, NY told me I needed bumpers, period

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't respond about a Coupe specifically, but can respond with direct experience with the Michigan inspection process. The SOS safety form can be completed by any law enforcement officer. Not only the MI state police. In my case, an Oakland County sheriff came to my house and inspected my Mk3 Roadster. When it came to the "bumper" checkbox, he did look at my car to see if it had bumpers. It has quickjacks, pretty common for Roadsters. He asked what they were and if they were really bumpers. I said they were authentic to the original (which they are) and that's what they had for bumpers then. He signed off the form. Not sure what he would have done if there was nothing there, although a local club member had a Mk3 Roadster with no bumpers. Somehow he was able to get it signed off. Bottom line, I expect there is some variation depending on the officer. Good luck.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I got lucky in Maine, no inspection by state, town office just called state office and said "Shelby coupe" what's the excise tax? State said, let's see, they sold for $5595 new, tax him $23 excise tax. I paid the excise tax, sales tax 5% (in Maine) on the kit price and paid for plates, no questions asked and was good to go. Even brought the car back to the young gal that registered it and gave her a ride. She took a bunch of cell phone photos to show her boyfriend. I then took it to my local repair shop where they issued an inspection sticker after a cursory inspection. Easiest registration/inspection I ever did, albeit this was the fourth attempt.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is one example I had seen on another site of using 3.5" x 1.5" sections forward and aft, not sure what State or to what code they were built for. Hope it helps..

Cheers

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Cris

That should more than satisfy any inspector. Wish I had seen that. Purely on a safety basis I would have added that. The curious get to close to the rear to get a look. Sometimes I'll pull over just to let them by.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Chris View Post
    Here is one example I had seen on another site of using 3.5" x 1.5" sections forward and aft, not sure what State or to what code they were built for. Hope it helps..

Cheers

Chris
    That is Oxide's car. New Brunswick, I believe. www.mycoupe.ca