Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alberta, Canada Registration/inspection pass? Or even Canada in general

Post Thanks / Like

Alberta, Canada Registration/inspection pass? Or even Canada in general

I want to build a 818 but I have a feeling that it wont pass am inspection witin Alberta. I was wondering if anyone has done this in Alberta and if so which company they got to inspect the car and which insurance provider they are with.

The reason I am doubting this car will pass inspection is because when I got the 1965 FFR AC Cobra kit it almost didn't pass because the shop was trying to inspect it with 2014 standards and not back date it to replica status of 1965. So the 818 is not based off a replica and so would it have to pass 2014 standards? (airbags, ABS brakes etc).

Please let me know if anyone has any experience in inspecting and registering these cars. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    There's three of us building 818's in alberta, but none registered that I'm aware of. You need to find a shop that actually understands the rules. Your not building a kit car, you purchased a starter kit to build a home built car. The rules are actually quite loose, but basically it needs to be safe. Technically you don't need seatbelts, but you need a window defroster, but each inspector will be different on what they're willing to sign off on.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay good to know. I talked to the out of province inspection agency for Alberta and he mentioned that there are a lot of small details that may not make it pass. The ones he told me specifically were side marker lights, and AS1 approved front glass. He also mentioned a window defroster but there were ways around it. How do you plan on installing a window defroster? I have thought of ordering the one used in the AC Cobra kit and routing the front radiator through it. Any other implications you have come across?

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need an OOP, your not importing a car, your importing parts to build your own. You can use a suction cup 12v heater fan for a defroster. The windshield is from a mr2, so that's good enough.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question for you. What company or companies did you get to ship your kit into canada? How much did it cost as well? The recommended Stewart transport doesn't ship into canada, did you pick up your kit yourself from the border? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Did everything through Al at western canada customs, he took care of everything. Shipping cost $500 more to edmonton than Stewart wanted to meet me in Montana.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, so he made sure all the parts were split up in order for it to cross the border? Did you ship yours in a crate or does he have a closed box transport?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to get the crate, customs thing. Just call Al, he'll answer all your questions.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay will do. Do you also have a specific shop that you are going to use for the inspection in order to get it registered? Thanks for the advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Itching to buy but still walking the fence. Just moved to Canada 2 yrs ago from the States and been through tons of forms and paperwork related to my move, done the RIV and OOP inspections. I've read how to import the kit and that seems straight forward but I guess I'm not clear on the rules about building a home built car. Where can I find the details?

I really need a project...

Frank in Carstairs

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still looking into that myself, seems like it shouldn't be a problem. But I'll keep this updated on what happens

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks iblackwe

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    The way I see it is that I know the Cobras, hot rods and GTMs have all been registered here. It shouldn't be a problem to get the 818 registered. I decided rather than tackling all that and building the kit at the same time, I'll build the kit and figure out the red tape later.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like your thinking, I am at the same. Its hard to get a hold of someone who will give you a straight answer. If you go and talk to the guy doing the inspection prior to the inspection and let him know the situation I am sure it will be fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Off the fence, I'm committed... Bought the donor and brought it home today! Monday I'm calling FFR!

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey congrats! I look forward to seeing your build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Ghiblicup in Calgary has his 818 at the roller stage already. He had his first inspection and got the Alberta VIN with no real issues. I didn't hear anything about a defroster being required - only wipers to pass an out of province inspection. My 818 is getting very close to go-cart stage, so I will be doing an inspection soon as well. I will post any updates and learnings.

Cheers,

Dave
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    You can go through Al Beix and he will take care of everything for you, or you can do it yourself with ease.
    AL Beix
    www.westerncanadacobras.com
    Toll Free 866 853-5835

Although I didn't go through Al, he was quite helpful. Part of the FFR family.
    I imported mine myself, but I'm in Vancouver and the border is an hour away.

Here is the process:
    You need to apply to Transport Canada with a Declaration to Import Motor Vehicle Kit Parts. (see attached scanned document).
    You need to submit:
    · A signed Declaration to import Motor Vehicle Kit Parts
    · A copy of my invoice #123538 from Factory Five Racing showing I have paid in full.
    · A certificate of origin
    · packing list

Joe Scott at Factory Five has the forms, and provides you with all the paperwork for the invoice, C of O, and packing list.
    you just fill out the Declaration and send it in. There is a specific guy Patrick Bazinet at transport Canada....Al has the contact info.
    It takes about 5 - 6 weeks to get it back. Its that simple.

HOWEVER..... you are not allowed to import a complete Kit car to Canada.
    So, you purchase most of the items from FFR, and the rest on your own or from another company. You aren't allowed to import fuel tank, suspension components or powertrain in the kit. You will have the powertrain from your donor, some suspension from your donor, and FFR will tell you where to get the rest.
    It is very easy.

I rented a trailer, went to the border, met Stewart transport in a parking lot, they have a nice crane in the truck.... just lowered the kit into my trailer and I went to the border.
    The CDN border gaurd was more interested in the kit and what I was doing, but he did ask me to go inside and pay the tax on the value of the kit.
    Took 10 mins to pay the tax and I was on my way home. EASY.

If you have any other questions PM me.
    Harley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Harley this helps a LOT. I think Ill talk to Al and then decide whether it is worth doing the border cross myself.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    registered my 818 today!! went to Service Ontario in Brantford and had the manager threaten to call the cops on me because I insisted that I had everything I needed when he wouldn't process my registration. Went to Paris and they helped me no problem and had an ownership within half an hour. It's a pretty straightforward process as long as the rep at Service Ontario isn't a complete *****

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by theburner9 View Post
    registered my 818 today!! went to Service Ontario in Brantford and had the manager threaten to call the cops on me because I insisted that I had everything I needed when he wouldn't process my registration. Went to Paris and they helped me no problem and had an ownership within half an hour. It's a pretty straightforward process as long as the rep at Service Ontario isn't a complete *****
    Too bad about the less than helpful person in Brantford, but congrats on getting it fully registered! I just hope it goes smoothly here in Alberta. I applied for my VIN today, so I should have that soon. I have all receipts for the donor, the kit, and all added parts purchased (headers, wiper kit, intake setup, Etc.) so it should be really simple. Fingers crossed...
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    All I needed was the affidavit signed by my Lawyer, the FFR invoice, the title of my donor, certificate of origin from FFR, and the proof of payment of taxes on the kit and donor car. In Ontario, they seem only to be concerned with the major components not all the small add ons.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should be getting my VIN tomorrow, as the Alberta Government agent is coming over tomorrow morning to look at the car, my receipts, and the bulk of the parts. I expect everything to go smoothly as I have all of the original receipts and registration from the donor. I'll post an update if I learn anything from him about the process.
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my VIN on Saturday, and have made contact with a qualified inspector to come over and do a 'pre-inspection' inspection to help me get everything properly in order.

Getting the VIN was easy, as I had all of my receipts and cancelled registration and insurance on the donor car as well. He just wanted to see the serial no. on the engine and tranny, plus the FFR frame. The rest was simply a matter of skimming the receipts. It turns out that I only have a photocopy of the Certificate of Origin, so I need to contact FFR to get an original copy printed.

Once the pre-inspection is done, I plan to finish off any identified tasks, issues, upgrades, Etc. and then get the final inspection(if possible) before I start on body panels.
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen many posts and threads on registration and inspection, but very little on the insurance aspect. I just found out that Competition Insurance in Canada (Hagerty) will not insure the car.

Anyone else in Canada found a decent insurance company that will insure the 818?
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathletedave View Post
    I have seen many posts and threads on registration and inspection, but very little on the insurance aspect. I just found out that Competition Insurance in Canada (Hagerty) will not insure the car.

Anyone else in Canada found a decent insurance company that will insure the 818?
    Hi Dave,

I have stumbled across a gold mine with insurance due to Al Beix and his "import to canada" factory five book.

Talk to Roy Howerton with Western General direct, I am also in Calgary and have gotten my car fully insured under their kitcar/classic car insurance policy. It is an amazing price and I have no complaints as of yet. His email is [email protected] I believe he is on holiday's right now but will be back soon.

How is your car coming along Dave? I am getting mine inspected this friday and if it passes it will be officially road ready. By any chance do you have any inspection agencies you would recommend? I am currently scheduled for one in Edmonton as a Referral from Bob Ireland from the transport Bureau of Alberta but if this fails I may need a second option.

Thanks,
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Ian:

I am ready for final inspection as well. I may be able to do it this Friday with a local inspector who owns a cobra himself. I'll send you his email in a separate message. Good luck with the inspection!

By the way, how are you getting your car to the inspection? Do you have a transit insurance certificate? That's what I'm trying to arrange right now.

Regards,

Dave
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I am going to use a transit sticker, very easy to get but unfortunately you must have insurance first.

Thanks you too, I'll let you know how it goes. We will have to meet up sometime I would like to see your build

Thanks,
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see you guys are so far along. Keep the thread updated on how your inspections go.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I finally got the insurance sorted out. Competition insurance won't cover it because the 818 is not a true replica of anything ( I don' understand their logic), but I got great service and prices through Western General Insurance here in Calgary. My inspection is set for tomorrow, so I hope to be fully roadworthy by the end of the day tomorrow. I'll post details of the inspection when I get them.
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my GTM registered in Alberta. I first talked to Bob at Alberta transportation, I had to send him pictures showing that I had installed side marker lights that were luminating (light up). I went with marker from Aston Martin they are not cheep $85 each. He would not allow the stick on reflectors. I told him that the marker lights were from Aston Martin but they did not have DOT on them. He was fine with recept and they were bought from the dealer. He said that alot of the new marker lights don't come with the markings on. I did all the paper work to import into Canada. Follow the steps on the Factory Five web site very easy. I picked my kit up at Sweet grass border crossing, south of lethbridge. Show them the paper work importing car parts, all good.
    The inspection was for home built:
    Needed, seat belts with a red release button, wiper with spray, low beams, hi beams on with out low, driving lights not on with hi beams, reverse lights, horn, defrost heater and that the car would not start in gear.
    Insurance was from SGI - Intact collector car - 5000 km a year.
    Last edited by Edgeman; 09-21-2015 at 07:12 PM.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys,

Great news! I am officially registered and licensed to be road worthy! It was a fairly straight forward process, with only a couple hiccups. I went through an inspector in Edmonton that Bob Ireland from the transportation bureau recommended, "Auto Infinity". Prior to the inspection I went through the Out of Province requirements form on the Transport Alberta web page (PM me if you need this I have a copy). On there it lists all the picky things you will need: Amber front clearance lights, Red rear clearance lights, Window defrost, muffler, license plate light etc. The reflectors provided by FFR are not good enough in Alberta and must be illuminated as Edgeman mentioned^. The other tricky thing was window defrost which was solved by a trip to princess auto. I bought a 12v auxiliary powered fan with a heater element and used velcro to adhere it to the dash directed at the windshield, this was good enough to pass inspection. Another tricky thing was clearance lights that do not come on with the DRLs. Apparently they need to be independent with the wiring.

One thing I would mention is that you need a request for Out Of Province inspection from AMA or whoever does your registration. I almost forgot about this until last minute so hopefully this will help those in the future ($9 from AMA and they register your car into the system with your stamped VIN number)

Insurance: Once again I cannot recommend Western General insurance enough. I do not have 10+ years driving experience as required by "Silver wheels" insurance bureau (Which is the other company recommended to me) and yet Western General were perfectly fine without the addition road experience, and they have cheaper rates than Silver Wheels. Peace Hills Group is the underlying insurance provider if anyone was wondering.
    Rktship.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot about the request for Out of Province inspection from the motor vehicle branch before you go to the inspection. Also a must is getting your VIN number from applying at the http://www.ibc.ca/ab/auto/branding/assigned-vin-program.
    Any questions call Bob Ireland, he was great to work with getting my GTM registered. He answered all my questions.
    I also used a transit sticker to get it to the inspection place and you need your insurance. I took it out for a week and snuck in a few test drives.
    When getting insurance they requested that I get a appraisal done and they wanted a copy. $100. It was all good.

iblackwe - I like the side marker lights. lol
    Great news on getting it registered. Congrats.
    Last edited by Edgeman; 09-21-2015 at 07:18 PM.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea they worked great for inspection... I wasn't disappointed when they accidentally fell off haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I got my final inspection and got the car fully registered to make it completely street legal. Lots of messing around at the AMA registry since most of the staff had no idea what to do. They wanted a 'form 1' for an imported car, and did not understand that I imported a kit, not a car. Once they dragged out the office supervisor, he was able to sort it out. With my COO, insurance, Alberta assigned VIN, and the completed Inspection form I was able to get it registered!

image.jpg
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Dave
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey thats awesome dave! Great feeling eh? I think next summer we will have to have a meet up

Post Thanks / Like

Ontario Registration

Hello to theburner9,

I hope to be picking up my 818C in March 2016. My question to you is: " Does it matter whether or not the ABS system is installed? ". I would like to delete the entire ABS system. I'm asking you, since you have some Province of Ontario experience. Any info on that subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE FURNACE View Post
    Hello to theburner9,

I hope to be picking up my 818C in March 2016. My question to you is: " Does it matter whether or not the ABS system is installed? ". I would like to delete the entire ABS system. I'm asking you, since you have some Province of Ontario experience. Any info on that subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Sorry, I missed your post. ABS is not required.