Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Guy from Oklahoma

Post Thanks / Like

New Guy from Oklahoma

Greetings All,

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Doug DeGraves from Tulsa. Someday I hope to have a FFR Mk4 and have lots of questions and I've been told this is the place to get answers and advice, technical support, instructions, nothing but good stuff. I'm just going to jump right in. I want the Mk4 to be a daily driver adn to taek on trip, but as you can see by the weather guessers, Oklahoma can get quite warm so I'd like to have air conditioning, even with the top down. My wife and I are not as young as we once were so we want the smoothest ride and the most comfortable seats as possible. And has anyone buildt one with an automatic transmission? And paddle shifters? I figure we don't need monster horsepower, so a 302 will do jsut fine. At first I thought that the Coyote might be too high performance but I hear it gets decent gas mileage, so that will probably be my engine choice. And an independant reas suspension. And NO low profile tires. Is this a viable set up for two 60 somethings? I look forward to all y'alls feedback and being a member of this community.

Best regards,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Doug. The IRS option will give you the smoothest ride. I have seen several builds with automatic transmissions, everything from a C-4 to an AODE. I have never seen one with paddle shifters, but if that is what you want anything can be done.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Doug,

I'm another new guy (introduced myself earlier this week). My only input here (because I'm no further along than you...) is that I believe this is definitely viable for "sixty-somethings". I'm 62 and I'm jumping in...

Al C.

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 Daily Driver

Doug and Al, thanks for tihe welcome and info.

So, looking around this forum, ask general questions here, get advice, visit, etc and then when the build starts, jump to the other more specific threads? I'm new to forums...

Concerning the automatic transmission, what would mate up to the Coyote the best? Or do I have to abandon the Coyote to use an auto? I also understand some frame (yikes!) & and tunnel modifications have to be done to accomadate the automatic? I paddle shifters really puts a wrench in the work? But as our knee joints get older, I don't know how we are going to fare in traffic with a standard. I figured teh paddle shifter would translate teh most fun from the standard with out having to push the clutch. Is there a Ford product that has paddles? Is it heresy to consider a corvette setup in Mk4? You'll have to excuse me, what is a C-4 and a AODE?

Later!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug, welcome and glad you are considering a Mk4

I will share my perspective (I am sure everyone's perspective is slightly different) - bought a Mk4 in 2011 and completed last year (I turned 50 when I completed the car) - now over 6000mi. I went with a modern mild performance set up (coyote, tko 600, solid axel Moser 3 link, 17 Hladibrand's, manual steering, manual brakes, expanded foot boxes, stereo etc). The end result the car is amazing and exceeds my expectations. This is a race car that you build in your spare time and I really, really enjoy driving the car (not so big on the attention the car gets). The ride is stiff and I feel every bump in the road but that is how the car is designed. My wife likes the car but she is not so keen on the stiff ride. I need to make sure that when my wife is in the car that I pick only the smoothest roads to drive down. For me this could be a daily driver but there is little in the way of creature comforts. I am not too sure how many Mk4's are used as daily drivers however I suspect very few (lack of space, loud, stiff ride etc.) - to be honest, in my opinion these cars are not daily drivers - they get your adrenalin pumping and you need to be alert when driving these cars or you may find yourself in an unpleasant situation where someone may get hurt. If you are expecting modern comfort and conveniences this is not the car. If you have not already done so, I recommend you find someone in your area with a Mk4 and ask them for a ride - you can decide for your self. Perhaps 15 inch tires and IRS will completely transform the ride however I suspect the ride will be similar.

The reason for me to take on the Mk4 project was the build - I wanted a project to take my mind off a very high pressure job - which it did. These are serious projects that are time consuming (require patience and persistence to complete) and you will be lucky if you can stick to your original budget (scope creep - may be luck to complete for under $40-50k with paint). For me, I always wanted a C_bra however I new the FFR roadster would drive and handle better than the original with a stiff ride. I don't think there are any comparable production cars with a similar stiff ride - these are race cars - I enjoy the ride and driving experience.

I am sure everyone's expectations and reasons for building a roadster are different - and as Dave Smith (CEO of FFR) puts it, these cars are not for everyone.

Many enjoy the build part of the experience and I would have to agree. Would I build another - yes. Would I sell my current Mk4 - yes (some day), however I know that I would be upside down on the basic costs (you don't build these cars to make money).

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Last edited by Jester; 08-31-2014 at 10:22 AM.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 Daily Driver?

Jester,

That just the kind of feedback I'm looking for. So let me re-pose the question. If I want the most comfortable ride and an automatic transmission, which kit the the right one for me?

And the more I think about it, the MK4 would have to have a Ford V8. Coyote sound like the correct choice too. But would that be too much power for a daily driver? There would definately be a learning curve on how to handle it! But if I'm understanding it right the Coyote is a prime candidate for power upgrades? what is the HP on the stock Coyote? I need to get a ride, or more importantly, my wife need to get a ride in one to see if it will work for us. How would you suggest finding and contacting Factory Five builders and owners in my area?

But still, the Mk4 is a classic! And I've always wanted one.....

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug

Only you will know what is right for you - you can't go wrong with the roadster - I know I luv mine and I also always wanted one. Now I am among the few that have the satisfaction of building to my spec's. You may want to put a notice out on this forum with a request for owners in your area - for contact and requesting a ride along - most owners will be more than willing to share there experience with you. Also attend local car shows and there is likely to be one you can sit in and possibly ride in.

I believe all of the FFR cars will be on the "racing" side of the ride quality so you may want to visit the FFR show room - I am sure Dave Smith will let you ride along to give you the flavor of these cars.

The Coyote is a great choice and you can add a blower if you want more. Out of the box the Coyote is rated at 426ish FWHP but with a tune, custom exhaust and custom intake you should get more than 400 rwhp - which is more than enough for these cars.

I know many car guys and FFR Mk(x) builders really admiring the Coyote. It al depends on what you are going for - I would not change a thing regarding the drive line.

Note: this combo takes some time to get comfortable with but after 6000 mi - driving this car is like breathing for me - got to get my fix as often as I can!

Go for it!
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 Daily Driver

Jester,

Thanks for the info! Where would be the best place here to reach out to local buidlers and owners, here or in the regional section, or both? Start a new thread?

On another subject, how strong is the Challenge Car presence in this area? We have the Hallet Race Track just 35 miles west of Tulsa. I'll drop a query in the Challenge Car forum.

Thanks!

Doug