Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: STI Seats

Post Thanks / Like

STI Seats

Does anyone on the forum have an STI so that they could measure the width and height of the stock seats?
    Better yet, has anyone tried the STI seats in an 818?

I tried my 08 WRX seats in the 818 but they were too wide and were higher than the roll bar on the S. Its really too bad because they are a great seat and can be had relatively inexpensively.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to discourage your search, I hope you find what you want. This is my experience so far. My 07 wrx seats were tight too, but the real problem was how high and how forward those seats put you inside the 818. For my 5'11" frame with 32" inseam, it was a no-go, especially with the FFR fuel tank. Then the roll bar was right there too messing up any chances of track events. One of the other builders worked on modding the stock seats with some success, and I considered following his path, but in the end went with a pair of recaro's that put me much lower and further back giving me a comfortable fit and low enough that the roll bar will actually protect me in a rollover. A pair of much cheaper sportsman pro seats from Summit made my short list too. The Recaro speed s (I think it was?) seats won out for comfort and because they had me lower with the top of the head rest sitting a little higher in a safer position for me in case of a wreck. I fit both seats in the car with sliders to be sure. I wanted the stock seats to work since mine were very nice seats. But I have to fit too, lol.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I should have clarified that I was thinking STI seats pre-2006. It seems like they are different as far as I can tell.

I'll check out the recaros maybe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stock seats lift you up and force you forward, they are "thick" compared to aftermarket seats. I'm using them but at 5' 8" I'm vertically challenged... They barely fit in the tunnel too

I'm thinking about going aftermarket depending on how these feel... I think they are too big/wide for me.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I should also mention on my seats, the recline adjuster knobs are too wide to both be in place. I had to remove the knob on one side, trim the steel piece underneath, and install a block out plate (used for the electric models). It's a Recaro made piece my dealer gave me for free. I liked the high mounted seat release as compared to the floor mounted release on the other seat I considered. Due to the tight fit, all recline adjustments are made with the seat released to the forward position.

Check out the video in post 73 of this thread. The video showed what Brian did to get his stock seats to work: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ome-Help/page2

If you are average or smaller in size, stock seats can work with some modding. If you are on the taller side, I might suggest budgeting seats and/or a thinner fuel tank like the Boyd tank.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2005 WRK came with the same high back seats that come in the STI. The leather upholstery kit I bought for them was actually for an STI and it fit perfectly.

Just like everyone else, my seats just barely fit, but they do fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like these? I believe these were just sitting as is without the mounting and rails cut down for height. Ill have to take another photo later tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get them quite a bit lower. Here is where my 05 stock seat sits including a pair of low profile sliders

P1120142.JPG
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    Like these?
    Yup