Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wilwood Rear Brake Installation Issues

Post Thanks / Like

Wilwood Rear Brake Installation Issues

Folks,

I have searched the forums and don't see anything on the following two issues I am having:

1) The get the rotor into the center of the caliper and pads, I need to move the calipers out ,or away from the car just a tad. However, the only way to adjust them is to add shims which move the caliper further in. Any ideas? There are some bolts on the caliper but they don't look like adjustments.
    2) The e-brake connection on the caliper is bumping right up against the head of the bolt that connects the spindle to the upper control arm....it's right on top of it...so no way to run the cable.

Could I swap right to left ? does it matter on the rears?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the centering issue. I went through getting a new set of brackets form Wilwood. They were a tiny bit better, but still had the issue. I actually filed mine and then sanded to ensure they were square. Machining would probably be the best way to do it.

Do you have the calipers in the correct orientation? Correct, doesn't look very normal. They sit WAAAAY down low. 5 or 7 o'clock depending on side. The Wilwood logo is pretty much upside down. You even have to remove the calipers to bleed them. The cables are way down at the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    My calipers are at the 10 o'clock position...which is where I have seen them in most pictures and its where the mounting holes are on the spindles. Weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmcole92 View Post

2) The e-brake connection on the caliper is bumping right up against the head of the bolt that connects the spindle to the upper control arm....it's right on top of it...so no way to run the cable.
    I had a machinist friend counterbore those two bolts. No way mine was going to fit.

I tried to find a past post on the other forum but could not. PM me and I'll send you some pictures.

I'm away from my computer and punching one letter at a time on my wife's iPad.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    My calipers are at the 10 o'clock position...which is where I have seen them in most pictures and its where the mounting holes are on the spindles. Weird.
    If you have the Factory Five Wilwood upgrade, Avalanche325 is correct regarding the position of the rear calipers. That's how I installed mine as well. At roughly the 5:00 position.

Here's the Factory Five produced video confirming this location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHA_...VS-CVcPoK4x6lB
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb - thanks for the response. That video is with the standard rear end...not the IRS. Any reference to the IRS (including the FFR and Wilwood manuals) shows the rear calipers at the 10 or 11. Same with Smith's Cobra building book. I'll talk to FFR on Tuesday...but they said it's the right position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some pics.

1) shows my rear spindles and where the mounting holes are located
    2) shows the caliper sitting on the mount
    3) a top down view of where the e-brake lever is right up against the spindle bolt

Rear PS IRS Spindle.JPG
    Rear PS Brake Caliper.JPG
    Caliper mount brushing up against spindle bolt.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb - thanks for the response. That video is with the standard rear end...not the IRS. Any reference to the IRS (including the FFR and Wilwood manuals) shows the rear calipers at the 10 or 11. Same with Smith's Cobra building book. I'll talk to FFR on Tuesday...but they said it's the right position.
    Of course you're right. My experience is solid axle and the FFR video is solid axle. IRS obviously makes a big difference. Good luck getting it sorted out.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm working on an IRS/Wilwood car currently but am out of town until Friday. I can get you some photos then if you need them.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be awesome...I also PMed you about this. I'm wondering if there is a different Wilwood bracket that will offset it a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally found those pictures.

The interference I believe you are talking about although my brakes are different from yours.

Counterbored

I did cut done the diameter of the bolt head just a bit to fit the Counterbored hole.

Problem solved

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, GWL...still trying to figure out how those relate to mine. I appreciate the help.