Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Congrats to Paul Arnold 2014 NASA East National Champion

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats to Paul Arnold 2014 NASA East National Champion

The crew is slammed but I got an email from Jim letting me know that Paul Arnold scored the win in today's NASA Roadracing East Coast Championship held at Road Atlanta. Former national Champion John George scored second with a salvage engine put in overnight as he lost a cylinder in qualifying and Paul Kaiser scored a close third in a very exciting race.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait to see the video's. Hopefully we get three views! Congrats guys!
    FFR Spec Racer

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to Paul A., John and Paul K.

Kudos to Joe Camire for an overnight engine rebuild and reinstall in John's car. We are blessed to have Joe "the Cobra Whisperer" here in the Atlanta area. He helps so many people with their cars and is an incredible resource with his knowledge of Factory Five cars.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.johngeorgeracing.com/word...ug-29-31-2014/
    Race Report – NASA Nationals East Aug 29-31, 2014

The inaugural NASA Nationals East Coast was held at Road Atlanta August 29-31, 2014. In attendance competing in the Factory Five Challenge class were Paul Arnold, David Evans, Roger Fusse, Paul Kaiser, Eric Kostamaa, Mike Tuck, and I John George. The weekend predicted to be great weather a little on the hot and humid side, with two 30min qualifying races on Friday/Saturday setting the grid for the 45min Nationals race. FFRs were in Group B along with SU/ST1/2/3 cars but with our own start. Thursday was an optional Test/Tune day.

I arrived early to do final prep on FFR#48 at Joe Camire’s house Tuesday changing front brake lines, and a sticky rear caliper. #48′s engine knocks a little at idle, sounding like possible piston slap, and there is a little blowby smoking out of the breather, the engine, a borrowed shortblock from Wayne Patterson’s well used parts depot hoping it would last through Nationals. Tuesday PM packed the car back in the RV headed to get a good spot in line for Wednesday’s track loadin day. We were lucky to get our paddock near the fuel pumps all FFR’s together with exception of Dave Evens who also running TT parked with the TT guys.

Thursday test day saw a couple of competitors utilizing the extra track time to work on car setup/etc, with me staying parked not wanting to put extra time on the engine. Paul A. kept chasing issues all day as his car not running right seemed to be electrical/fuel related kept plugging along at it, Mike found a lower balljoint had loosened up with help from Brian Casella’s mechanic got it welded up and was ready for Friday’s qualifier race, Roger and Eric also tinkered with their cars fighting minor issues.

Friday schedule had warmup early, qualifying and Quali Race #1. Qualifying saw me on pole, followed by Paul A, Paul K, Mike, Dave, Eric, and Roger. Paul Arnold was still diagnosing his FFR#5 not running for the start of the race, Roger generously offered his car for Paul A. to use in Fridays race. Because of this Paul A was gridded at the back, so Paul K. took his spot in P2 for the start of the race. The race itself was a blast, Paul K and I battled a fair amount until my engine overheated and had to back off to cool the car finishing 2nd, Paul K. with the win, Mike 3rd, followed by David, Paul A. and Eric (who also fighting rpm brake-up issues.)

Friday after the race with FFR#48 not running good at all Joe Camire, Jim Schenck and I decided the best course of action is to get another Ford Mustang shortblock from a local junk yard, and put it in the car. Joe still at work Jim, my dad and I went to the junkyard and purchased for $550 a 1995 Mustang shortblock with alleged 70K miles. The engine itself looked good, so spirits up, trucked it to Joe’s house. With my RV already situated, I put my street license plates on FFR#48 and off to Joe’s house I went.

Joe, Jim and I worked from the time Joe got home from work – 5pm, until 6:30am when we left to take the car back to the track. For those who have never done this before, it takes a while to take the old engine out, strip all of the parts off the shortblock (accessories, heads, intake, flywheel, clutch, etc.) rebuild with a different shortblock, reinstall back in car, fill back with fluids, start the new engine, set timing.. lets just say a LOT of work was done during the night.

I cannot thank Joe and Jim enough for their help in this, without them I could not have done it period!

As Joe, Jim and I were swapping out an engine, Paul Arnold and crew drove to Summit Racing’s warehouse in Atlanta twice looking for replacement parts including new injectors, and other ignition related items to get Paul’s car running.

Saturday morning had a warmup session at 8ish, followed by the race around 10am. I took #48 out in warmup and immediately got showered by oil leaking from the engine. I came in and found the 90deg oil filter adapter leaking from the outer rubber o-ring. RTV saves the day after cleaning it and re-installing it leak on drivers side fixed. The passenger side was oil soaked as well, looking like maybe a valve cover gasket was leaking. Off comes the valve cover, RTV the gasket real good, reinstall back on the car hoping that would fix my oil leak for qualifying race 2. Started 2nd as our grid was the finishing order of Friday’s race #1. quickly finding out my oil leak is not fixed at all. The ‘meatball’ flag along with #48 sign was thrown as I drive past start/finish calling me into the pits as there is something wrong with my car. The race saw Paul Arnold win, followed by Paul K, Mike, David, Roger, Eric (still having electrical issues), and me with a DNF.

Having all day left to diagnose the oil leak the nose came off the car allowing easier access to the engine bay for closer analysis. As it turns out the oilpan bolts on the passenger side, and up front were not fully tightened (I take full blame as during the Friday night thrash it was my responsibility to tighten these.) On top of the leak the blowby on this junkyard block was much worse then the old engine, so we got ‘creative’ finding a solution to minimize the blowby. with PCV valve hooked up recycling most of the fumes back into the engine a catch can (a 5qt oil jug) was ziptied/duct taped in place and a 1″ hose run from the front of the car to the trunk carrying the blowby fumes into the trunk along with the oil which may spray out. On top of all of this stop smoke additive was added to the 20w50 oil, and pb blaster was sprayed on all of the pistons through the sparkplug holes in hope of loosening up the piston rings. Joe, Mike, Jim and I finally went out to dinner hoping our Saturday thrash would hold up for the Nationals 45min race Sunday.

Sunday race order set by points from both races has Paul K. on pole, followed by Paul A., Mike, Dave, me, Eric, and Roger. The race started fast and furious with lead changes through the field eventually settling with Paul A, closely followed by Paul K, me a ways back, Mike, David, Eric, and Roger until a double yellow caused the field to bunch back up. Paul A, Paul K, and I were nose to tail for the restart with me getting a good jump on Paul K attacking until finally getting past him. Paul A. used lapped traffic and the fact Paul K and I were battling to his advantage able stretch out a lead the length of the front straight till the race finish.

Congratulations to Paul Arnold for a great win! I came in 2nd with Paul Kaiser 3rd, Mike Tuck 4th, Roger Fusse 5th, David Evans 6th, and Eric Kostamaa 7th.
    Last edited by johngeorge; 09-03-2014 at 09:21 AM.
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    And the ice cream bars after the races

More Pictures here: http://johngeorgeracing.com/gallery/...nals-East-2014
    Incar Videos:
    Last edited by johngeorge; 09-03-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent race! Thanks for posting the video. What data acquisition and camera set up are you using?

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    two GoPro 3 Black edition, datalogger is a Racepak G2X, and Im using software dashware to do video overlay

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to all the folks that raced, and congrats to Paul, John and Paul for the top 3 finishes. Looks like you all had a great support team on hand that went the extra mile.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johngeorge View Post
    two GoPro 3 Black edition, datalogger is a Racepak G2X, and Im using software dashware to do video overlay
    So what was wrong with your oil temp ? as it was stuck at 164 and if you can run like you did and stay at 164 then I want to know your secret
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    the wires got ripped out of the sender as we were removing the engine.. didnt have time to fix it

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow....epic story! Too cool.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.