Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mount Scoop or Hood first?

Post Thanks / Like

Mount Scoop or Hood first?

Should I cut out and mount the scoop, then mount the hood. Or should I mount the hood, then cut out and mount the scoop? Or does it matter.
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not using a scoop, but it seems to me it would be much easier to cut/mount the scoop with hood off the body.

The Manual (page 339) shows it done with the hood off.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not done this yet but I would think you would want to mount and fit the hood to the car. Then remove hood and center scoop on hood, mark scoop outline and hood cutout, then cutout hood. Again no experience, I would think your biggest concern is getting the scoop centered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did this on my Mk4 build a few weeks ago. My sequence:

1. Trim hood so it's centered in the body opening. (Note: Use bumpers so the hood is held up flush with the surrounding body/fenders. Very important. Don't trim it to the bottom of the opening or you will trim too much. The sides have a slight draft angle.)

2. Strike a center line on the hood.

3. Trim the hood scoop.

4. Layout and drill holes around the perimeter of the scoop. I used 10-32 button head screws. Some use 3/16 rivets. Similar size holes.

5. Place the scoop in the proper position. Centered side-to-side, front-to-back per the FFR dimensions.

6. Transfer the hole locations to the hood. Drill and mount.

7. Now flip the hood over and use the bolt hole locations to lay out the hood cutout. Start with the FFR dimensions, but modify if needed.

8. Cut out the hood opening.

Sequence and pictures here in my Mk4 build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post167623
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-27-2014 at 02:38 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the hood off several times. Measure and cut with the hood off (you will have the engine in by this time). This will save you getting a lot of fiberglass in the engine bay. The hood is a two layer system, the cut in the top layer was made to fit the scoop, and the lower layer was cut to allow the scoop to overlap and gives a surface to support the scoop. No bolts or rivets. The hood and scoop were then glassed together, no seams. My painter took the hood off for painting and the finished hood looks one piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do it a little diff but "edwardb"s directions will get you where you need to be............now as far as centering the scoop. DO NOT CENTER IT IN THE CENTER OF THE HOOD. Center it "on" the hood using the body to get the center of the car. Set the hood in the hole and tape the deck lid in place then pull a tapeline from the center of the plate mount to the center of the mouth( I like to use 1/8th inch fine line). If you are doing stripes it will keep you from driving your painter nuts...da Bat