FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear Tire not centered in the fender

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Tire not centered in the fender

I'm looking for options and ideas! I think this screams bad kit car!

My rear tires both fit to far to the rear in the fender well. There is 2" to the rear of the tire to the fender and 4 1/4" to the front of the tire to fender. Looks like it needs to shift about an inch.

I have completed the IRS alignment with 1/2 degree camber and 1/8" total toe. I first did the alignment with the rear lower heim joint to the rear with two spacers (per Richard Oben) and adjusted the others. After seeing where the tire fit I redid the alignment with the front lower heim joint all the way to the front and then adjusted everything else to fit. That moved things forward about 1/2" but not quite enough. The front tires are centered almost perfectly in the fenders and my wheel base is 89.5" (both sides) after moving the IRS alignment forward.

The body was aligned by Ken Pike (not that that means it is right) and has the hidden mounts on the sides and front so not sure how much adjustment I have. I moved my dash brace forward 3/4" so that doesn't help tell me if the body is correct but does have the correct spacing. The rear cockpit wall looks like it has some room to move back but only about 1/4 to 1/2".
    Thanks for any input
    Rod
    FFR 3749 MkII, 428PI, TKO-600, IRS, Pin-Drive, Tri-States body, Under Car Exhaust
    Rod's BB Street Cobra Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately that is the way it is. I can't believe FFR messed this up so badly when they did the new MkIV body but they did. Look at any of their advertising pics and you see the same thing. BTW, the one MkIV I have helped put the body on, it fights pretty tightly between the rear cockpit and the dash so no real way to move it. And, if you did move it, then you would need to move the door latches too.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this a function of the body, or is it the irs mounting location? I'm currently working on a MkIV with a three link setup. I'm hoping it centers up better than that!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got the body on my Mk4 build a few weeks ago. Solid axle rear, so maybe slightly different conditions. I would say mine looks slightly different, but still not exactly centered. I agreed with Craig. Not sure what you can do about it since the body can only go in one place front to back without affecting a bunch of other things. The angle of your picture (looking down slightly) make it look maybe a little worse than it looks in person. Here's how mine turned out.

In a "normal" street view, doesn't jump out that it's way off center.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies so far. Not really what I wanted to hear. Still looking for options. I see that most of the comparisons here are MK4's. Note mine is a MKII, don't let the red paint throw you off. I have searched and the only posts I have see with this issue, to this extreme, where with 3 links that where able to make it better with adjusting the 3 link. Wondering if anyone with an IRS has found this or not had this issue?
    Rod
    FFR 3749 MkII, 428PI, TKO-600, IRS, Pin-Drive, Tri-States body, Under Car Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rlampman View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. Not really what I wanted to hear. Still looking for options. I see that most of the comparisons here are MK4's. Note mine is a MKII, don't let the red paint throw you off. I have searched and the only posts I have see with this issue, to this extreme, where with 3 links that where able to make it better with adjusting the 3 link. Wondering if anyone with an IRS has found this or not had this issue?
    Rod
    How big a deal is this really. After I saw this post I went back through all of the pictures on the FFR site and the ones that I had from London. It is there but it did not seem that bad to me. COmments please on how noticeable is this. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rod,

Your signature says that the body is a Tri-States. Is that the body that is in the pictures?

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Olli caught the problem; it's a Tri-States body on a MK II frame. http://www.tristatemotorsports.com/ Don't blame FFR for this problem. Maybe for license plate interference with the trunk latch, but not this issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You had me wondering, so I went out in the garage and checked my MK4 w/IRS. My wheels/tires are pretty well centered (if anything they are just a hair forward).
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Olli, you are correct, Yes, this is a TriStates body. I don't know if that is the issue by itself or maybe makes it look worse. The few pictures of TriState bodies I did not notice this. If the tire was off center to the front I wouldn't mind as much but shifted to the rear bugs me. I have also heard that the clearance issues with a MKII is the cross brace in front of the rear tire. Mine is not hitting that brace unless the tire goes higher than it can with the suspension. Just trying to see if anyone has ideas or if anyone with an IRS has this issue?
    Rod
    Last edited by rlampman; 09-03-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to have to get in contact with others that have used the Tri-States body to determine if what you have is normal. Member "Jolsen" built a beautiful 427 street roadster using a Tri-States body. Search for his posts as he has posted many pictures.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    My MK4 is perfect with the 3 link.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent a PM to "Jolson" who had a TriState body on his MKII. He sent me the best side shot he had.

Said that at first he had the same problem but after adjusting the 3 link about an inch forward it was "somewhat" corrected. I think it looks good. Sounds the same as everyone else with 3 links, FFR or TriState body, so probably not a "design" issue with TriState just my setup. Looks like I may have to work on seeing if I can get some rear movement of the body. If that works I will have to do something with the doors as the PS is already at the limits of the hinge. Maybe make spacers to go in front of the hinge.
    Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Well back at it this week and today I finally made some progress. I removed the doors, bumpers, windshield, and unbolted the sides of the body. Pushed on the front and moved the whole body back about 3/8-1/2".

The Good: (first 4 are improvements, last two are to clarify they are not a problem)
    1- Now the rear wheel is not centered but visually it is better and I could live with it.
    2- This also fixed the angle of the windshield. Before it was about 58 degrees from the doors and is now 53 degrees as it should be for side windows if I ended up doing a soft top (not sure if I will but want the option).
    3- The front end of the body now sits correctly by itself. Before I had to lift up the body over 1/2" and hold with the front bumper.
    4- The rear cockpit roll of the body is now against the rear wall, it had a gap and is now flush.
    5- The hood and trunk are no problems because I have SRP's hidden hinges and they attach to the body not the frame.
    6- I have under car exhaust so no issues with the side pipes.

The Bad:
    1- The side body mounts are hidden and bonded to the body.

I moved the body back enough that opening the holes will not work. I would either need to modify the frame to make the rear tabs longer and may need some clearancing of the support tubes for the front bolts. The other, and probably correct, option would be to relocate the mounts. I didn't install them but would assume I need to grind out and bond them back in the right location with something. Really want advice on this...

2- Not sure how well the doors will fit. If needed I could put spacers in front of the hinges to move back if there isn't enough adjustment. I am more concerned if the rear latches are OK.

The edge of the drivers side mount is 1/4" past the edge of the body door frame. Not sure if this is a problem or not? The passenger side is just flush with the body.

Any suggestions on the two bad issues or should I go back to the old position and work out the other things?
    Thanks Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems to me that the 15 inch wheels look like they fit better then 17's Looks more centered to me
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker