Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Race Seat for R

Post Thanks / Like

Race Seat for R

Hey guys,

I know that there is a small seat thread in the interior section, but I wanted to create a R specific thread that is just related to race seats.
    For people that have their seat installed, can you share, what issues could be on specific areas of the seat dimensions. What you did, what you wouldn't do again, how much room is left there, etc...
    I'm trying to decide on seats (I know it's early, I don't even have the car yet , 3 more weeks to wait! ) but I like to look into things in advance.
    Also if somebody can remind us on what the regulations are in NASA and SCCA regarding the seats (I know, I could just look it up, but if somebody knows already that'd be quicker).

I'm most likely getting a full containment seat, especially because the roll bar is right there, FIA. Being a fat ***, I need to check what my *** fits in. I never measured my seats in my old race car. I just don't know how much room is there in the 818 for the seats.
    I've been looking at a couple places in Europe that sells race seats. I's pretty incredible that brand like Sparco are about half price there... so even with $200 shipping, it's still a lot cheaper....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doowop View Post
    Hey guys,

I know that there is a small seat thread in the interior section, but I wanted to create a R specific thread that is just related to race seats.
    I use UltraShield seats, have them in my Challenge car, I got the Rally Sport Seat, 16" with 10 degree layback so as not to take up room (as it saves about 4" over a 20 degree layback). http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/catal...Sport-Seat/160
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Doowop on the regs: If you use a Kirkey or Ulltrashield you are required to add a back brace that connects to to the cage. I'm sure Tony can chime in here on how he did his.

If you use a Sparco or other typical seat and you DON'T want to use a back brace you must get an FIA rated seat. If it's not FIA rated you will need a back brace. Back braces are very controversial with fiberglass/CF race seats. The manufacturers say the seats are designed structurally to bend and absorb energy, and putting a back brace on can cause the seat to fail. But some clubs require the brace anyway. An example of technology getting ahead of rules I think.

"NASA reg: 15.6.21 Seat Back Support
    A seatback support must be made to hold the seat from going back in the event of a crash. A plate should be used to distribute the load. No bolts, corners, or sharp objects should be placed in such a manner that could lead to a possible puncture of the driver in a high impact crash. Seat back support need not be attached to the seat itself. Proper design and installation is crucial to safety and it is recommended that the driver employ the services of a professional race car builder for this, as well as all other vehicle safety items. An exception may be made for those seats homologated to, and mounted in accordance with, FIA 8855-1999 or 8862-2009 standards. Those seats that qualify for the aforementioned exception must conform to the entire FIA 8855-1999 or 8862-2009 set of regulations, as applicable. This includes a mandatory seat replacement, or use of a seat back brace, for any seat more than five (5) years old (8855-1999) or more than ten (10) years old (8862-2009).
    Please reference the FIA regulations. http://www.fia.com/."

Other things to think about: It's an open car so arm restraints will be required.

If you have a full containment seat this doesn't apply, but for others who don't: "NASA requires a right side net. All vehicles, except formula cars, must be outfitted with a right-side impact head restraint system. A seat with a “bolster” to keep the head from moving to the right side in an impact is acceptable. A side-impact head-net restraint system, such as shown in picture 15.17.9-2 below, is also acceptable.
    Note-*‐ all side-impact head-net restraint systems must have a quick-release mechanism to aid the driver in case of egress if necessary via the passenger side.
    Note- it is recommended that a side net wrap around the seat and function to help stop the shoulders, head bolster (if applicable), and seat from moving sideways in an impact. It is best to follow the manufacturer’s
    recommendations for installation of any safety device. However, in lieu of such recommendations, or in addition to, it is recommend that the lower strap of the side net run parallel with the fore/aft center line of the car and be low enough to support the shoulder area as well. Furthermore, it is suggested that the top strap follow a path through the center of the helmet, when viewed from the side. Reference Diagram 15.17.9-1
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gator.
    It's weird that the back brace does not have to be attached to the seat. I have always seen them attached which in a fiberglass seat seems super weird. In that case, It's not bad.
    I really wanted to see fitting issues/option for people that already have FIA mounted in the cars with info on space between seat and cage, etc... I'd like to order seats but don't want to get them from Europe and find out they don't fit....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Racetech in mine, fits great. It's FIA. Seat back brace will be easy. That will be the last thing I do. I have an IO Port adjustable one on my 911.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Chad, which Racetech model do you have? I was looking at seat brace, and those are design for the aluminum seats so you can bolt them on there. I guess since it doesn't have to be bolted to the seat that will be better, but I really do not like the size of that little plate that goes in the back of the seat especially since it is located right in your neck. I think my solution will just be to make a much bigger plate against the back of the seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    "NASA requires a right side net. All vehicles, except formula cars, must be outfitted with a right-side impact head restraint system. A seat with a “bolster” to keep the head from moving to the right side in an impact is acceptable. A side-impact head-net restraint system, such as shown in picture 15.17.9-2 below, is also acceptable.
    I don't use a net with my challenge car but use these http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/catal...Head-Supports/ and will use these with my 818. The seat brace also just has to be anchored to the roll cage, on the 818 it will go to the back hoop just below the harness bar.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Racetech RT4009HR model. Non-Fatty size
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    that's my problem, I need to see if a fat *** seat fits well..... gonna go to a local race store to try out seats tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the first things I'm doing while the frame is still uncoated is fitting the seats and making any needed frame modifcations for comfort/position. Step 1 is finding a seat. I sat in the Kirkey installed in the blue car at FFR when I picked up the kit. I liked it, but that's pretty much the only containment-type seat I've ever sat in. There are not a lot of places anywhere nearby that stocks seats I could try.

Any recommendations?

Anybody have any pictures of the back brace required for a non-FIA seat? If I understand correctly, it would be required with the Kirkey installed in the blue car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the tech inspectors, we may not need a seat back brace. Some racing Orgs don't require one if the seat is 2" or less from firewall. NASA may look the other way of your seat is against the firewall. I will have a good argument with them about it if they require it.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    I need every millimeter of legroom I can get, so I'll be installing my seat directly against the firewall if at all possible. Does attaching the seat-back to the frame count as a back brace?

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you guys be more specific in what seat model and what size you are using? Give your waist, height, weight, physique or something so that it is meaningful to us as to why the seat works for you.
    Example: I have a Sparco Pro 2000 seat in my STi. I will upgrade to a Kirkley or similar for the 818. I am six foot tall, with a 32 inch waist and an average to leanish build. I weight 163. The Sparcos are a good fit, if not just a hair loose. They say it is for a medium size. Sparco's site has lots of seat dimensions...
    A friend who's a big guy, 6-2 and big hips, was barely able to squeeze into it and take my car out for a session, but he was not very comfortable and said he could not have stayed in the seat much longer. An instructor who was similar to me but has thirty pounds on me, and is in better shape/more muscular, had no issues with my seat.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    I need every millimeter of legroom I can get, so I'll be installing my seat directly against the firewall if at all possible. Does attaching the seat-back to the frame count as a back brace?
    yes, if it the seatback is bolted to structure with no gap you are fine.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    yes, if it the seatback is bolted to structure with no gap you are fine.
    That is superb news, thank you much! Now to find a race shop within reasonable driving distance that might have some seats to try.... anybody know of one in the Virginia/Maryland/North Carolina area? Got to be one in NASCAR country (NC).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Could you guys be more specific in what seat model and what size you are using? Give your waist, height, weight, physique or something so that it is meaningful to us as to why the seat works for you.
    Example: I have a Sparco Pro 2000 seat in my STi. I will upgrade to a Kirkley or similar for the 818. I am six foot tall, with a 32 inch waist and an average to leanish build. I weight 163. The Sparcos are a good fit, if not just a hair loose. They say it is for a medium size. Sparco's site has lots of seat dimensions...
    A friend who's a big guy, 6-2 and big hips, was barely able to squeeze into it and take my car out for a session, but he was not very comfortable and said he could not have stayed in the seat much longer. An instructor who was similar to me but has thirty pounds on me, and is in better shape/more muscular, had no issues with my seat.
    Zach and Scargo
    Have you seen this post I made.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post176816
    I can take some more pictures if you want.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Now to find a race shop within reasonable driving distance that might have some seats to try.... anybody know of one in the Virginia/Maryland/North Carolina area?
    OG Racing near DC. It is out by Dulles Airport. I bought my Sparco's there. They have about 12-15 different seats you can sit in. I'm sure there must be something closer to you though if your in Norfolk. Perhaps in the Richmond area. Look on the web sites of some of the manufacturers and see where their dealers are.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends, you should read the CCR for the league you will be racing in and the particular classes (some classes have specific rules that trump CCR) that you will run in and make sure you talk to the leagues tech inspection folks, I run in NASA, SCCA and ICSCC and what these folks are looking for is to make sure the seat can't go back in case of an accident, so it may depend on how strong your rear firewall is, my gut says that with the fuel tank there and the flimsy firewall it will not pass, but I'm not sure I would want to take a chance on a setup like that anyway. I have been in some severe accidents on the track before and I take no risks with the safety of the cars I drive
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 11-18-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to add that the Aluminum firewall is in no way flimsy. In fact, it is thicker/stronger than any firewall I have seen in any other car.

Yes, it does depend on the tech person inspecting your car.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 11-18-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    I want to add that the Aluminum firewall is in no way flimsy. In fact, it is thicker/stronger than any firewall I have seen in any other car.

Yes, it does depend on the tech person inspecting your car.
    It may be thick (1/8th) but it can be very flimsy since it's 2 pieces and it all depends on how it is mounted and the 2 pieces are attached. I will definitely not be using the one supplied by FFR.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Bob I checked out your post. Those seats look great, but I'm leaning more towards a seat with some sort of halo structure and more containment.

What I'm visualizing is attaching the rear of the seat to the frame that the firewall panels attach to. Modification of the firewall and fuel tank may be in order (thinking fuel cell anyway). I don't think just attaching the seat to the firewall aluminum, even as thick as it is, would provide much of a safety benefit. I would like to make my firewall somewhat removable for engine work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Bob I checked out your post. Those seats look great, but I'm leaning more towards a seat with some sort of halo structure and more containment.

What I'm visualizing is attaching the rear of the seat to the frame that the firewall panels attach to. Modification of the firewall and fuel tank may be in order (thinking fuel cell anyway). I don't think just attaching the seat to the firewall aluminum, even as thick as it is, would provide much of a safety benefit. I would like to make my firewall somewhat removable for engine work.
    I have 5/16" bolts through the bottom of the seat into the x bars.
    I also have 5/16" bolts through the back of the seat into the 1 1/2" square tube at the top of the fire wall.
    My firewall is flat against the frame. I have to remove the seat and then the firewall to access the engine.

If I was doing and R, I would split the side sale into 2 pieces so you could take off the whole back of the car for easy engine access.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 11-18-2014 at 06:03 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    the rear seat brace is really easy to install and would be a lot easier than screwing with the firewall, IMO. there are a couple but here is one:
    http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...Category_Code=

i really don't like that it has a small plate right behind your neck, so I'll make a much bigger one and weld it on there.
    Last edited by Doowop; 11-18-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Racer Parts Wholesale is having a seat sale.
    15% OFF In-Stock
    RACING SEATS
    (Over $400.00)!
    1-800-397-7815
    This deal is available only today and when you call to place your order today before 5pm EST.
    They have OMP and Sabelt. I have no affiliation... I have bought from them before.

Post Thanks / Like

No Window Net and No Arm Restraint

No Window Net and No Arm Restraint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfWjXzvVoL0

"Not the ending I wanted to my first race in my MX5. I was very lucky just to end up with a broken right arm, considering how bad the crash was it could have been alot worse."

This video probably deserves it's own thread just to remind us....but since we were already discussing these rule I posted it here.
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 12-01-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch! I couldn't watch the video without cringing
    I've broken my wrist 3 times (motorcycles) but was saved by an arm restraint in an offroad racing rollover

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I cringe too! I try to envision what this would look like if they were 818Rs.......It helped me decide I want a full halo roll cage over my head, not just a single roll bar.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    NASA and SCCA both require arm restraints. I'll be doing that. Makes me think I need a window net in my STi. That looked nasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bringing this seat thread back to life...

Has anyone tried fitting one of the kirkey containment seats in an R? I don't have my car yet, but that side down tube looks mighty close and might interfere with the upper part of the containment.

I see people using the intermediates and even they look pretty close.

Any install pictures?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have the room to get a Kirkey containment seat in your R
    Seat pic2.JPGSeat-steering wheel front.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't FFR's grey mule running a Kirkey containment?
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Santiago, I think your right I believe FFR running on in the gray car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture of the seat.
    CAM10327-694x413.jpg

I am running 2 of the biggest intermediate Road Race seats. Kirkey# 47900

570-47seriesdimensions.jpg

The shoulder supports touch each other in the middle of the car.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 03-26-2016 at 12:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give it a shot.

Skip

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like it fits. I just have it sitting on the bare frame now. Once I put the seat in mounts, that will raise it a little and put the shoulder wing b/w the down tubes where it won't rub. It looks like it will be a pretty tight fit once everything else is installed.

IMG_1858 sml.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you are golden. I really like that seat, had one in a car I drove a while back. My Kirkey seat bottom is 1/4" off the X tubes on the floor and have plenty of broom stick test head clearance. then again I am only 5'8".

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I plan on mounting it as low and as far back as I can to get the head clearance under the broomstick.