Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: License plate blocks trunk latch

Post Thanks / Like

License plate blocks trunk latch

So - I got my antique tag today and of course quickly realized that after you mount that you can't access the trunk latch (very easily). There has to be a way to put a hinge on the plater so you can lift it up and access the trunk?

Can someone point me to that mod - I'm sure it's out there somewhere???

Don
    Stafford, VA

Post Thanks / Like
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. Welcome to the Mk4. More authentic body shape and trunk lid takes it back to its British roots with a narrow license plate. The link DaleG provided has a good solution. Did this mod to my build last weekend: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post167622
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roger that - thanks - I searched the FFCars forum after posting this and found that - I need to start searching both. I don't mind it blocking the trunk but think a flip up design would be cool, like some of the older cars where you had to flip the license plate up / down to access the gas cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonva View Post
    Roger that - thanks - I searched the FFCars forum after posting this and found that - I need to start searching both. I don't mind it blocking the trunk but think a flip up design would be cool, like some of the older cars where you had to flip the license plate up / down to access the gas cap.
    Yea, I've heard some guys talking about that approach, but haven't seen it in action. Just a couple thoughts. Seems it would put the license plate at an unacceptable angle since the handle sticks out quite a bit compared to the location point and potential hinge location at the light. Also, don't know about the geometry if you're using a rear bumper hoop. Would it interfere with that?

In general, based on my experience the last few seasons with the Mk3, I find that I'm in/out of the trunk a lot since there's basically no storage in the cockpit. IMO, just don't make it too inconvenient.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Backdraft has a flip up plate mount.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonva View Post
    So - I got my antique tag today and of course quickly realized that after you mount that you can't access the trunk latch (very easily). There has to be a way to put a hinge on the plater so you can lift it up and access the trunk?

Can someone point me to that mod - I'm sure it's out there somewhere???

Don
    Stafford, VA
    Is your antique tag larger than the standard size of today or are all tags too large?

Post Thanks / Like
    For the NY plates, I cut off the bottom where it says The Empire State. image.jpg
    Carefully block sanded and rounded the corners.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that modifying your license plate (especially in a way that's as noticeable at Tocoti's) will get you a ticket in most states. I'd check your local state laws before doing that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post
    I believe that modifying your license plate (especially in a way that's as noticeable at Tocoti's) will get you a ticket in most states. I'd check your local state laws before doing that.
    Thinking the same thing... I suspect it's not technically allowed in any state. But wonder how aggressively enforced. I don't plan to test though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I modified my plate and a friend, who is a police officer, said there was no problem with it. Some of the covers/borders people use cover more of the plate. Local laws may vary, so check with the authorities first.

Good Luck
    Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the suggestions - the antique black plate is defintely bigger. I am going to see if I can find an adapter before cutting the plate. I found one online that pushes the plate out about an inch and flips up, I think that would clear the trunck latch. I'll ask my PO buddy if modding the plate will get me in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much of an issue here in Florida. Ive seen about everything you could do to a tag done.
    Ask to officer friends they said don't mess with the numbers or the decal.

Joe

Joe
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...d-finally.html
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...rts-build.html
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/final...roject.645071/
    MK4 complete kit.
    351 Dart based 427, 4'' stroke by 4.125 bore.
    Twisted Wedge 11R heads Dual quad EFItech efi

Post Thanks / Like
    To correct my error about the Backdraft I emailed my friend. He sent back this link
    http://www.backdraftparts.com/rear-tag-bracket.html
    The pic he sent me of his shows the plate pretty much covers the latch handle. He has that mount plate bent so the bottom of the tag is about an inch out from the handle allowing plenty of room to grab and turn it. Simple as heck even if not too elegant.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as my modification. We have many local car dealerships that have a license plate frames that covers the part that I cut off. So, I will keep one of those frames in the trunk and screw it on if there is a problem. I was told if i get pulled over for what I did to the plate, I have done something else wrong. My Dad was a cop and I have a very close friend that is a cop. They have better things to do. Oh, and in NY we don't have a sticker on the plate so that might be a concern. On that I would go to the nearest Trooper Station and just walk in and ask. They are really nice guys!
    Last edited by Tocoti; 09-04-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's Jeff's solution, simple and clean:
    Mk4 rear license plate holder & "t" handle

(long version and some original CSX's)
    MK4 Licence plate issue?

I added this frame because my vintage plates were not clean around the edges (little rusty):

I really like the finished project, simple and clean. Actually no one would ever know that it was modified unless you told them.

Good Luck with your modification.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks but I don't think that would work because the plate is too big. I'd have to cut it so it fits between the plate mount and trunk latch...