Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: mass air meter mount

Post Thanks / Like

mass air meter mount

anybody have a good source for a simple mass air meter and filter that I can mount in my 818? Right now I have nothing to work with.
    Thanks Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got a Cobb; haven't installed yet, but those that have say it fits well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Part number?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is what I got:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-SF-...t-p/712100.htm

You'll may need a tube to go between it and the turbo inlet to get it in the right spot in the engine compartment. As I mentioned I haven't got mine in yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, I've been using the Cobb Tuning Short Ram SF Intake (# 712100) on my 2006 WRX 2.5. The OE mass air sensor mounts in the Cobb intake tube and I used the OE rubber tube to connect it to the engine intake. I don't have many miles but I've run the engine a lot with no problems. I hope this helps.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Cobb as well. I picked it up second hand so I didn't get any filter or brackets, but seemed to run fine with a K&N I found to fit after some digging. I played around today with extending the tubing to the area between the wheel well vent and the wheel well. I used a 3" 45 aluminum tube and a 90 silicone coupler. I'm a little concerned about the added length of intake hose messing with the tuning. Anyone have any insight on whether or not added intake length (post MAF) is an issue? I suppose FMIC people deal with it if it is an issue. I'll have to fashion a cold air box after the aluminum splash panels are in and set up a splash guard to keep water from splashing on the filter.

Otherwise, I think Spectre or some name like that had something that looked like it would work in a similar way at Advance Auto and probably others.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a little insight from the subaru world, the only Intakes with extensive testing that work on a stock tune are the Cobb and spt short rams, most others are use at your own risk as far as needing to tune for it. Most will run ok cruising and what not, but they tend to run very lean in a couple spots, like going from closed to open loop and in between shifts. Wouldn't hurt to do some quick data logging if you throw and intake on without changing the tune. I think a lot of it has to do with how close in size as well as maf location the spt and Cobb have in relation to stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    You want the post MAF length as short as possible. And you want to make sure that the tubing is straight as possible pre and post MAF.

You also want the MAF to sit as close to perfectly level as possible. Otherwise it will sag and your MAF reading will get skewed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Cobb SF Intake and Cobb Post MAF hose. The combination of the two put the filter in a pretty nice spot.

IMG_0573.jpg

Larry
    Last edited by K3LAG; 09-06-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Added picture