Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: vapor canistor electrical controls anyone keeping them?

Post Thanks / Like

vapor canistor electrical controls anyone keeping them?

Is anyone retaining the purge, pressure control, drain solenoids and the fuel tank pressure sensor. I was contemplating keeping them so the emissions self test would work. After looking at the original system on the Subaru it utilized multiple vents, in particular the main vent which is held closed by a float when the tank is half full or more. It looks to me that the system would draw a vacuum on the tank when the tank was half full by closing the drain valve and pressure control valve. The vacuum would be detected by the sensor and indicate a sealed system. The problem I see is that the FFR supplied fuel filler cap is not setup with a vacuum relief diaphragm like the stock Subaru one is. If there was ever a failure somewhere in the system it could possibly damage the tank(implode). What I am considering now is just using the purge solenoid I'm just unsure if it will work with out the rest of the components, in particular the pressure sensor. I think a vapor canister will eventually get saturated without a purge cycle every so often. My other thought is installing a vacuum relief valve right after the vent I just don't know what pressure it should be set for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I ditched my Evaporative Emission system and plan on running the tank vent through a small charcoal canister without a purge system. I have no experience doing so, but from what I've read discussed, it eliminates gas fumes and the charcoal rarely, if ever, need replacing. I really don't want to run the risk of a tank implosion!

imploded-tank.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have been working on the emissions system(s) and would like to keep them for environmental reasons. My 2006 donor has several evaporation recovery systems. I don't think I will be able to keep the onboard fueling vapor capture system because I lack the skills to weld in the fuel nozzle switch at the top of the fuel filler pipe and to reproduce the large vent in the fuel tank that directs air displaced by fuel entering the tanks to the canister. I will reflect on your question, but I wonder if the sensor that measures tank and atmospheric pressure differences would address your concern. I also wonder whether the elimination of the onboard fueling systems plus what I think is a larger filler neck in the FFR 818 would reduce the load on the canister.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm right there with you guys. Quiny, I did exactly as you did, for now. Just plumbed the purge line between the purge port on the canister and intake. For now, all the other valves are gone. With the Boyd tank, I don't have the fuel temp or pressure sensors hooked up. I mounted the temp sensor inside a bracket on top of the tank to approximate the temp, but I didn't think of a good way to get it inside the Boyd tank. I share the same concerns about the canister getting saturated. I mounted my canister low just left of the transmission. The two feet mount to the frame rail and it extends out towards the rear left wheel. A piece of bar stock completes the mount to hold the hanging end. I ran the vent line from the tank high above the fuel level and put a filter on the drain line up high as well to prevent siphoning if I overfill the tank.

Regarding the fill vent, a few others have already run into issues with the fill neck backing up during filling. You have to go slow. I would really like to add a vent line to the top of the filler neck, and tee it into the tank vent port. I'll put the tee on the tank itself and have the rollover valve protect the canister and purge, and plumb the filler neck vent directly. Anything that would happen to dislodge that line would likely take the filler neck too, so I am not too concerned about the rollover valve not protecting the filler neck vent line, and it seems to not have enough flow to support filling, thus the back flowing issue reported. I haven't done all this yet, just planning it.

image.jpg
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone has a purge valve that they would like to sell at the right price, I am interested. I accidentally ditched mine with when I scrapped my car. Thanks