I picked up my frame on 7/19....then was away traveling for a few weeks, so I've just really been spending a bit of time working on it. First off, thanks to all the early builders, holy crap would this be hard without a lot of the insight I've picked up on the first builds. My plan is to do a V7 EJ207, AWIC, Cobra Imola seats, 6 point harnesses (Schroth ASM DOT) Traction control, LSD, etc. My donor was a train wreck, so I've been scrapping a lot of parts...but at least I bought it for $1500 and made about $3k in parts. I may win some type of award for the slowest build because I don't have my motor yet, and don't have a bunch of time to spend on it...plan is to take my time and agonize over every detail hah.

I'm sure everyone does this, but I had to first throw in my seat, pedal box, and steering wheel just to get a sense for how it all felt. Then take it all back apart so I could get working on it for real.

DSC_3124.jpg

Very glad I picked up the tip that the new bolt-in pedal box mount needs to be aligned to the pedals, mount, and aluminum. I bolted up the pedal box mount loose, and then mounted the pedal box, and aluminum, and tightened the mount and threw in a few cleco's. Made the entire process much easier.

IMG_20140819_213933_037.jpg

And a shot of a front firewall Cleco'd up because you can't have too many of those.

IMG_20140827_162601_283.jpg

My plan is to get a rough alignment and ride height set on the front suspension so I can torque the front lower control arm bushing, then install the firewall. Of course I ran into the fun that a lot of people have that the bolts hit the welds on the shock mounts, so I had to grind those after I had painted them (fit everything up dry next time, woops)...got those installed, and then found that the holes for the front bolt of the LCA @12mm on the unthreaded portion was too large for the hole in the bracket. Ok, so that's just over 11mm, maybe the powdercoat was too heavy? So I drilled it out to 12.3, and with the rear bushing already held in, that the front bushing is misaligned. I recall a bunch of people running into this previously, but they had to correct for the rear brackets being off, so maybe it wasn't as big of an issue....I'm sure I can get it to install with some twisting of the front bushing, but then both bushings are going to have a pre-load applied to them before they are torqued.... I'm sure I'll get a few "just make it fit and move along" but I was hoping FFR would have these types of issues sorted by now. I got the last, or one of the last White bodies and it doesn't look too bad to me, but I haven't dug into it, so I've got that going for me. Hope to start taking more photos as I move along....I know you can in theory build this car with basic hand tools...but damn would I be frustrated by now if I wasn't using air tools between a New England donor and tweaking parts here and there.