Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Headlight - Vendor Recommendation - Can I just replace the glass?

Post Thanks / Like

Cracked Headlight - Vendor Recommendation - Can I just replace the glass?

I cracked my headlight and I'm looking to see if I can just replace the glass or if I have to buy a whole new unit? If I do end up going that route then I think I'd like something that's a little brighter so any suggestions would be great.

If there is a vendor here or on FFCars then please provide a recommendation, I looked at most of the vendors on FFCars but could not find just the glass.

Thanks,

Don Marrow - Stafford, VA
    FF MK4 '65

Post Thanks / Like
    The Headlight is just a standard off the shelf bulb. It is removed from the plastic housing. Any parts store will have the headlight.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Don
    When you replace the headlight make sure you don't disturb the headlight adjustment. Also get a headlight replacement with high and low beam
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    You didn't say what type of lights you have. If the standard sealed beam units, then they're available everywhere from WalMart to all the auto parts stores and probably some hardware stores. These units have been used for at least 75 years. Cost is $5-8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another recommendation is check the wiring and if you have relays set up to take direct feed from a 12 volt source like an alternator. Couple of threads on this, but check out http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MVRight View Post
    Another recommendation is check the wiring and if you have relays set up to take direct feed from a 12 volt source like an alternator. Couple of threads on this, but check out http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html
    While this may be good in a perfect world, standard headlights have been turned on and off with a simple switch on the dash for many years without problems. I can see another thread coming about headlights that don't work and battery problems and fuses blowing and yada yada .......with a complicated relay system. KISS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MVRight View Post
    Good read. What headlights come with the MK4 Complete kit...9004, 9005, 9006,...?
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mk4 came with GE H6024 Halogens. Looks like a commonly available replacement bulb. Also Sylvania H6024 appear to be common, including Advance Auto, etc. Shouldn't be hard to find.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently when I posted this several months ago I missed the mark. I took the headlight out this weekend because the glass was cracked. I friend managed to glue it together so I could get home but it is a temporary fix. I need a new headlight assembly. I see FF sells a pair for $140 but I don't need 2. I'm hoping I can pick them up somewhere else - any suggestions???

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read everybodys answers !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    Read everybodys answers !!!
    Uh - they all talk about replacing the bulb not the actual headlight assembly (glass) - unless I'm missing something - which is entirely possible. I don't think a headlight assembly costs $8? FF charges $140 for 2 kits...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...psws3y6gbr.gif
    Last edited by thedonva; 03-23-2015 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Included image

Post Thanks / Like
    the glass and the bulb are one in the same.

http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-H6024...eadlight+h6024

Fun fact - it's the only headlight that was allowed pre-1957, and 1 of only 2 designs allowed through 1974, hence why you can find the bulb/glass combo anywhere for super cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    What FFR quotes at $140 is the entire headlight package; a pair of buckets, trims, gaskets, pigtails, hardware and 2 bulbs.

Simply walk into Autozone and tell them you want a 6024 headlamp:

6024 Headlamp

Don't forget to pick up the change from your 20 dollar bill.

You're welcome,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhhh.... let there be light.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok - now we are getting somewhere. I'll swing by AutoZone tomorrow. Thanks for the part # and the trivia, that's interesting...

Post Thanks / Like
    The variations above stem from the longer story. Way back, as mentioned by billjr212, the standard headlight was this 6024 which is a one piece unit and dirt cheap. But they were really crap. Many of us bought an aftermarket upgrade version. It had the glass shell, but on the back there was a removeable plate that allowed the actual bulb to be removed from the shell. That bulb could be bought in a couple of styles. IIRC one was labeled and H1. It was significantly brighter and the bulb, combined w/ the pattern on the front lens portion of the shell, started the trend to the sharply defined upper cutoff light pattern.
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/s...t-h1/5760004-P
    This is a pretty good explanation of something that was a very common upgrade for us old guys back in the 70s.
    http://www.allpar.com/fix/electrical...ghts/ecode.php
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The light you get from a sealed beam, even a Halogen will be OK but not great. (Somehow we all survived the 1950's & 60's driving around with them.)
    If you really want to see at night we now sell and LED conversion kit for $229.00 That includes 2 new glass lenses with an H4 style base and a pair of Hi/lo LED bulbs. They fit right into your existing mounting brackets. If you already have lenses with H4 bases we sell just the bulbs as well. Here is a link to our website:
    [URL="http://www.watsons-streetworks.com"/URL] There is a video comparison there as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whichever way you go, the Daniel Stern site is a very interesting and informative read; at least know all of the variables before making a change. I know many of us don't do much night driving in these cars, so it may not matter.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. We sure can make changing a light bulb complicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Wow. We sure can make changing a light bulb complicated.
    Actually we haven't even gotten to the changing part yet! It's taken 6 1/2 months and 15 posts just to figure out how to buy the thing

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have nothing of value to add, but this sure was funny.
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    I contacted Daniel Stern. I believe he has a College Degree in writing the worlds longest emails.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if he built his roadster? Very scary!!!!!
    Mk-3 FFR 5558, 351W, Comp Xtreme Energy Cam, Aluminum Heads, Roller Rockers, Mallory Comp S/S 42 Distributor, Edelbrock RPM Performer, 670 Holley Street Avenger, T-5, 3:08 Posi, 15" Team III Wheels, BF Goodrich T/A 225/60R-15, 275/50R-15, 4-wheel disc brakes, Electric Blue/White Stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike w View Post
    yes I wondered that too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Play nice fellas

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Play nice fellas

Jeff
    Why start now?
    Frank

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how many people does it take to change a ........... Never Mind.

Too funny here folks. Someone had to say it though.

Happy building all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Play nice fellas

Jeff
    Bit my tongue so hard its bleeding.

Post Thanks / Like
    My MkII Challenge car has headlights with a small replaceable bulb off to the side, looks like a running light, I have not seen replacements that have this extra bulb.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, you beat me to it. Us old guys with MKI's and II's have the special units with the little running light. 3904, my street car still has them but 4662, race car has been changed to the later standard sealed beam. The old style are kind'a cool but it's not too easy to find replacements for them. By the way I have one on the shelf that I got from Butch as a spare. This guy has a MKIV so it's a moot point anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Powell View Post
    Tony, you beat me to it. Us old guys with MKI's and II's have the special units with the little running light. 3904, my street car still has them but 4662, race car has been changed to the later standard sealed beam. The old style are kind'a cool but it's not too easy to find replacements for them. By the way I have one on the shelf that I got from Butch as a spare. This guy has a MKIV so it's a moot point anyway.
    So to convert does one just cut the 2 running light wires and terminate them ? Both of mine are cracked and one has a hole, so was thinking about just converting and not have to deal with finding these anymore.
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 04-17-2015 at 04:47 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike w View Post
    I assume you are referring to me - it should be pretty obvious that I did not build my roadster or that I'm remotely mechanically inclined. But is nice to be able to jump on this forum for advice from time to time even if you have to put up with one or two A-holes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don
    Were you successful. Let me know if I can help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonva View Post
    I assume you are referring to me - it should be pretty obvious that I did not build my roadster or that I'm remotely mechanically inclined. But is nice to be able to jump on this forum for advice from time to time even if you have to put up with one or two A-holes.
    At least I never reverted to name-calling............I was just making an observation!
    Mk-3 FFR 5558, 351W, Comp Xtreme Energy Cam, Aluminum Heads, Roller Rockers, Mallory Comp S/S 42 Distributor, Edelbrock RPM Performer, 670 Holley Street Avenger, T-5, 3:08 Posi, 15" Team III Wheels, BF Goodrich T/A 225/60R-15, 275/50R-15, 4-wheel disc brakes, Electric Blue/White Stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    MARIAH has the old Mark II headlights with the little aux bulb.
    Today while giving her a bath, I noticed the silver lining (mylar?) is separating from the reflector area.

So, to keep this simple..... is the H6024 Sylvania a direct replacement using the existing plug and I'll only need to terminate the aux light as unused?

ps, I have enjoyed all the posts and related info but don't feel ready for a new "upgrade project" just now.
    PHILLIP, They call the wind MARIAH.
    "Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
    Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, fabricated Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MARIAH View Post
    MARIAH has the old Mark II headlights with the little aux bulb.
    Today while giving her a bath, I noticed the silver lining (mylar?) is separating from the reflector area.

So, to keep this simple..... is the H6024 Sylvania a direct replacement using the existing plug and I'll only need to terminate the aux light as unused?

ps, I have enjoyed all the posts and related info but don't feel ready for a new "upgrade project" just now.
    I just left the plug there, no termination, I just put a piece of tape over it. All seems to work fine the new units look better.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    Don
    Were you successful. Let me know if I can help.
    Thanks for the offer, I changed the headlights yesterday. 95% of my issue was procrastination, 5% was the unknown. Drove home last night in the dark - huge difference from what I had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tony, that was the encouragement I needed.

I thought it was a 30 minute job. Actually it was in "increments" of 30 minutes!
    One of the little black screws rolled away about 6 feet.
    Had to "trim" down the rubber cover about 1/4" so the plug would engage the light contacts.
    Taped up the little European light as you suggested.
    Dialectic grease and now all is now right with the world.
    And along the way I went back and visited Daniel's web site for my lighting education in case I ever decide on Relays.
    PHILLIP, They call the wind MARIAH.
    "Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
    Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, fabricated Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonva View Post
    Drove home last night in the dark....
    You should have turned the headlights on!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast