FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electric Air Conditioning?

Post Thanks / Like

Electric Air Conditioning?

This isn't limited to the coupe, but since several guys have had problems fitting an A/C compressor, I thought it might be a good place.
    As I understand it, all electric vehicles, and some conventional ones, use an electrically powered A/C compressor.
    Is there any one using one in their build? It would seem to hold a lot of promise for solving fitment woes, cleaning up the front of the engine, and offer advantages for locating it and running the hoses.
    Just wondering if anybody is working on this.
    Thanks for any replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Electric heat would be nice too.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this in the other forum as well but for the benefit of anyone looking over here. The AC compressor on my electric Nissan leaf is actually 3 phase AC so not a possibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Being an ex Lexus tech I am familiar w/ the electric AC compressors they use on their hybrid models. My concern would be the amount of HP needed to turn the compressor. When you convert that to amps I suspect it is quite a lot. I wonder if an alternator could keep up w/ it. Certainly worth looking into but I also know that those compressors were something over $1000 msrp.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.