Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First Long Trip

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First Long Trip

Sure. I know. 600 miles isn't a long trip. Well it's all relative. It's the longest one I will have been on since most of mine have been 10, 20, and 50 milers.

So what preparation have you made for such an excursion? I'm thinking I'm forgetting something. I made a list but there are things I haven't needed so far as it is just a short hop to where I'm going. Anyway. If you think of something you forgot on your first big trip or something you wish you had, let me know. It may save me some anxious moments.

So far I'm taking a small racing jack even though I'm leaving the spare tire out (canned Spare Tire). I'm taking a small electric air compressor. I've just done work on the rear suspension so I'm taking some wrenches and parts to convert the watts link over to a simpler PHB if something fails just to get home.
    Also: spare clutch cable, serpentine belt, PS fluid, brake fluid, anti-freeze, WD-40, multi meter, fire extinguisher, emergency kit, Bubba cup, car cover.

I'm sure there are obvious things I've forgotten.

Thanks, WEK
    Last edited by skullandbones; 09-10-2014 at 02:42 AM.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like

Road trip or not I've got all kinds of crap packed in the trunk! There is a cheapo socket set in the hard plastic box on the bottom. The red/black soft tool bag has a full set of combination wrenches, assorted screwdrivers, pliers, strippers, crimpers, allen wrenches, a digital VOM and test light as well as fuses, zip ties, crimp connectors and some wire. Most importantly is a copy of my wiring schematic and EEC-IV codes. Also shoved in there is a spare known good TFI module, TPS sensor, coil and a couple of long plug wires. There is a set of jumper cables behind the bag and the whole mess is strapped down to the upper floor. That round green top is a container of wet wipes wrapped up in a towel and there is a 2.5# ABC fire extinguisher secured to the floor. Ordinarily my waterproof cover is in it's bag in the open corner on the left. On the longer road trips like to the London Show 2 other roadsters that I built are always with me so with the availability of their extra space I add a compact jack, 2 small stands and a quart each of oil, brake fluid and PS fluid. You think traveling with your car makes you a bit anxious? Try doing it when you're responsible for 3! Talk about feeling like a nervous parent! Knocking on wood and crossing my fingers as I say this but on all of our trips I thankfully have never had to use any of this for them (but have used it a few times to help out others who have run into problems when when we've been in larger groups like at London).

Sounds like you're pretty well prepared---good luck on your trip!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you have allowed for every eventuality! Some good suggestions there Jeff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jeff must be a Boy Scout, ALWAYS prepared! I like it!

If you've taken several small trips, check your header bolts before you leave. Mine loosened up after re-installing my headers last winter. I lost 2 bolts and blew out my header gasket, half way to London. Not catastrophic, but no fun and easy to avoid.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Safe trip! And here's hoping you won't need any of that stuff.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about Kayak, Snorkel, swim fins just in case it rains.....

Of course you could always tow an Ark, too........

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, what most guys forget is some wire, connectors and crimper but Jeff has it covered. The only other thing I took on long trips was an Ipod and ear buds that I had molded inside custom ear plugs. I hope you are planning to drive up and out of the desert to someplace cooler. Oh, and tell me when you are leaving so I can heist your lift!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    AAA, seriously!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jeff: nice setup. You sparked my imagination with your arrangement in the trunk. I think everyone has one of those cheap socket sets in the plastic container. I liked the way you secured it. I don't have my shoulder harnesses attached at the stock location so I'm using that as the tie down point for my bundle of tools. I have a left over battery strap kit. Mine will be pulled tight to the bulkhead instead of to the floor. I did forget zip ties, wire, connectors, fuses, and crimpers. I agree that this is probably good to keep stored even for shorter outings.

Checking header bolts has been a ritual for me but thanks. I have not had them come loose but I did have the bolts at the flanges of the headers and sidepipes work loose and rattle. So now I add them to my to do list before a trip.

We're headed out to the White Mtns on the Coronado Trail Run up to Springerville which is about 300 miles of mountain driving and lots of curves and sights. I think the return is not quite as long as I anticipated but still a good test for the car. Should be good weather and a change from the valley flats and heat. Pete you are welcome to the lift just bring it back when you're done!

One more item I forgot: duck tape.

Thanks for your time and ideas. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    WEC,
    I'm sure you have thought about a rain suit. There is a small pen looking tool to check for spark on your coil or plug wires I find handy and maybe an infrared temp gauge. Seems like Jeff had the rest covered.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm taking a waterproof jacket in lieu of a full rain suit. I do have the diagnostic stuff in an emergency kit that was given to me one birthday, I think. It had the little electric air compressor that I needed and some nice safety devices in case of an accident. I don't like making changes on the car and then taking off far but the rear suspension seems to be doing well. I changed a couple of bolts and spacers for clearance and adjusted ride height one more time. Had lowered the rear and then had to raise it some for the weight in the trunk (ha). Looks like I'm ready for a "road trip!" Couldn't resist a last pic.

Thanks for the suggestions.

WEK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm heading out next weekend from Raleigh to drive the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway with friends. I figure about 600+ miles. Longest previous trips were about 300 miles. All I plan to do is check the oil, tire pressures, watch the coolant level, and take a rain jacket and the AAA card. Fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a super trip and be safe at the Dragon.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thought I would show a video of some of the curves on my trip into the mountains of AZ. I had to hold the camera while driving. Didn't rig up a mount yet. Sure was fun with hours of curves and grades. This was my first trip up the Coronado so it was all new to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBN6AVLj-Vw

Thanks,

WEK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't get to the video WEK. Says it's private. Glad you had a great trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Forgot to publish it, Sorry. Thanks Todd. Hey it's pretty short but if you play it over and over again that's what it was like for a couple of hours. WEK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBN6AVLj-Vw

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    still shows private

so how was the trip? any issues? any Lessons Learned?
    (I try to take note after my cruises and longer trips, of items I should take NEXT time and keep a Word Doc with my list and add to it. I get better each time!)
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have to say this was the best time yet I've spent in the roadster as far as seat time. I can't imagine having any more challenging type driving unless it was on a track or AX. I'm glad I set the car up the way I did. The suspension behaved very well. I also had new tires and a fresh alignment. I probably could have dialed a little more PS into the drive but it was unfamiliar terrain so I left it a little dead. I was not passed by anyone except 3 Ninja bikers riding at a very good clip for the entire drive from the copper mines up to Springerville. Except for a few cars and motorcycles, I was the only one on the road going north. The reason I was alone is that we had a roadster kiss the mountain. It was pretty bad. The driver was not hurt: not even a scratch or bruise (good harness). The Lotus that was in our group of three went ahead and explained the situation to the other 6 roadster guys. Yeah, we started with 8 roadsters and 1 Lotus and ended up losing a roadster who's Jag IRS went out and another guy's trans developed an issue with one gear so he went on ahead so he could take it easy and baby it back home. It was an eventful weekend. It turns out I didn't raise my trunk lid except to take the car cover out or my duffle. All that preparation did not allow for any assistance for the situations that we had on the trip. I think I raised the hood 3 times but it was to show interested people coming up to the car. If I did the same trip again, I probably would do it the same. I've got my list of must haves. One of these days, I will need them as statistics will eventually catch up to us all! I think I got that video to finally publish correctly. WEK.

Note: I forgot about the funniest thing that happened. At the accident scene I was the only one who could get reception on my obsolete flip phone. I think it's the provider rather than the device that helped. One guy got no signal and another had low battery.
    Last edited by skullandbones; 09-19-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good video, Biil. I'm glad you had no troubles but didn't like hearing that a roadster hit a mountain. Seeing the video of driving a mountain road reminds me of my (sold) FFR roadster and all the fun miles so now I've got to push on my 818 to enjoy the upcoming cool weather.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).