Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: JDM EJ207 identification please

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

JDM EJ207 identification please

Hello, I'm picking up another engine tomorrow just wanted to make sure what I was getting was correct. From what I've read its a EJ207 V5 or V6. The broker says its a EJ207DW1KE Japanese spec WRX engine with ECU. Here are some photos, It was a good deal couldn't pass it up...

$_57 (7).JPG$_57 (8).JPG$_57 (9).JPG$_57 (10).JPG$_57 (11).JPG$_57 (12).JPG$_57 (13).JPG

Friends are talking me into a turbo but still on the fence about NA or Turbo but a least now Ill have a choice. Anyone see any problems with this?

Frank
    The most important things in the world have been accomplished by people who don't give up and have just kept on trying...

Post Thanks / Like
    You're buying a turbo engine and thinking of taking the turbo off? It would be a lot cheaper to buy a NA engine in the first place. You realize if you take the turbo off that it has low compression pistons, so you will make less power than a regular NA engine?

The TMIC is missing, but that won't matter if you go NA or AWIC.

I can't tell you if it's as represented, other than it clearly has the turbo. If you are buying it from JDM Racing Motors I would trust them to know. Some of the others are not quite so reputable.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    You're buying a turbo engine and thinking of taking the turbo off? It would be a lot cheaper to buy a NA engine in the first place. You realize if you take the turbo off that it has low compression pistons, so you will make less power than a regular NA engine?

The TMIC is missing, but that won't matter if you go NA or AWIC.

I can't tell you if it's as represented, other than it clearly has the turbo. If you are buying it from JDM Racing Motors I would trust them to know. Some of the others are not quite so reputable.
    Sorry I also bought the donor 2002 Impreza EJ25 NA with a 5 speed. I plan to race AutoX and was concerned about the turbo lag and abrupt power with boost. Wont know till I drive it I guess...

Frank
    The most important things in the world have been accomplished by people who don't give up and have just kept on trying...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianYank View Post
    Sorry I also bought the donor 2002 Impreza EJ25 NA with a 5 speed. I plan to race AutoX and was concerned about the turbo lag and abrupt power with boost. Wont know till I drive it I guess...

Frank
    Smooth power and low turbo lag can be achieved with the right turbo and tune setup. The stock turbo on the wrx is relatively small and will have very little lag, especially in the rpm range you would be using in AutoX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Smooth power and low turbo lag can be achieved with the right turbo and tune setup. The stock turbo on the wrx is relatively small and will have very little lag, especially in the rpm range you would be using in AutoX.
    That's what my friends are telling me and I hope that's the case. I've been Reading allot about the Subaru's, a Chevy guy all my life and first time following the dark side... LOL

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianYank View Post
    That's what my friends are telling me and I hope that's the case. I've been Reading allot about the Subaru's, a Chevy guy all my life and first time following the dark side... LOL

Frank
    Embrace the dark side Frank! I'm the exact opposite, been a subaru guy all my life and it's been amazing but who knows, maybe 20 years from now I can see myself building a cobra. I used to joke with my wife that she was on the dark side cuz she drove a mitsubishi evo XIII

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I picked up the motor, its not a 207 its a JDM EJ205 from a 00 WRX and its in great shape with less than 40K. So he reduced the price, paid $1000.00

160 PSI on all 4 cyl's
    STI intake has no TGV's
    Yellow top Injectors
    STI 207 ignition
    Has big port 207 heads less the sodium valves
    No AVCS
    Catless pipe (No emissions in Alberta, Who Hoo)
    TD04 turbo, no shaft play
    I also picked up a 2005 WRX ECU with pigtail

I have it on the stand in the garage and will give it a diet this weekend. Will post some pics later.

Frank
    Last edited by CanadianYank; 09-19-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is an EJ20K engine.
    It has a standard ignition. All ignitions of the same phase are the same.
    Its not a STI intake. It is TGVless. But it is not STI. The attachment for the turbo inlet and the intake plenum are wrong for a STI intake.
    20K heads have larger ports than USDM 205 heads, but are not what are considered "big port heads".
    It likely has a TD04HL not a TD04. Slightly larger.
    I would guess that that came out of a GF8 wagon.

You are going to have issue running a 2005 ECU with that engine. The engine is OBD1 and the ECU is OBDII.

You also do not want to de-turbo that engine. The compression is too low to make any power.

$1000 is a pretty good deal.