Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windshild Wiper kit now on FFR Parts Catalog web site

Post Thanks / Like

Windshild Wiper kit now on FFR Parts Catalog web site

We first got the manual update with Wiper Kit info. (818_Manual_rev-1J-update)

Now, today (on the web site) the kit is available for purchase. $225 + shipping.

Who is getting it? I think I am. Its a lot of cutting into the hood, but it is a simple solution.

http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/818-windshield-wipers/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I likely will. I picked up a wiper motor recently (which I didn't get from my donor) in preparation. Unless I think I can get away without wipers, but even still, I'll probably go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just made final payment on my order last week and added the wiper kit. I am in TX and I think I will have to have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im still thinking about it. Only if the cowl was made out of carbon. It would be so much easier cutting into the hood for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered mine. Now all I need is heat/defrost. Are we on our own for that?

Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely need one, but I will to see if anyone comes up with a better cutting solution. Otherwise I will invent one once I get to the point to install a wiper kit, which then may not be FFR's if no one found a better cutting solution.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    I absolutely need one, but I will to see if anyone comes up with a better cutting solution. Otherwise I will invent one once I get to the point to install a wiper kit, which then may not be FFR's if no one found a better cutting solution.
    I might be working along with you on that. I hope to see it in person before deciding on FFR's solution. I was disappointed with the pics so far, specifically the hood cutting. Maybe playing with different arms and the mount can lead to less aggressive cutting of the hood? I need wipers, so somehow they'll be up there.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really dislike the FFR solution but I think there are some creative options that use the FFR pieces as designed. One thing I was thinking of when I looked at the pictures was that if one bonded the composite piece that attaches to the hood ("cowl trim piece") it wouldn't be as obvious. Use little filler to create a smoother transition. With a bit of work, it will all look like a single piece with the hood, rather than a bolted on accessory. I would paint the cowl trim in the body color, but probably leave the "cowl" underneath black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am glad FFR has put the time into the kit and made a solution. I think it is an affective useful design. In terms of function it seems to be very effective, but in terms of style it is really aweful looking IMO. So if you want or need wipers without caring about changing the entire look of the nicely designed hood than it's the solution for you. Sorry FFR, I love the 818's looks and just think the wiper kit ruins a great thing.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 metalmaker

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    I am glad FFR has put the time into the kit and made a solution. I think it is an affective useful design. In terms of function it seems to be very effective, but in terms of style it is really aweful looking IMO. So if you want or need wipers without caring about changing the entire look of the nicely designed hood than it's the solution for you. Sorry FFR, I love the 818's looks and just think the wiper kit ruins a great thing.
    So what are you going to do? Build your own? Not use wipers? Wait to see what others do?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, he built his own!

research what is required for your locale, many can get away with one wiper, that is easier... I looked at other cars, (Miata shown below) the problem with the FFR soln (IMO) is how it doesn't go all the way across the hood to keep the hood pins in the same location. Most if not all cars have a hood that stops farther from the windshield. cut the hood with a different arc to leave more space vs removing a rectangle or cut it shorter and relocate the hood pins

I added a support for the center of the hood that holds the hood higher and adds an arc to the hood, I think that I have space for a two wiper with the existing hood, I need a wiper setup for Maine but the area covered has to be "adequate"

P1120165.JPG P1120166.JPG P1120113.JPG
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 09-18-2014 at 08:00 AM.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, yes that is what I found out too after analyzing the cars parked on my street. lolll I guess if we move the hood pins somewhere else we could do something, but then maybe the cowl will not fit properly. Don't know how far it goes on each side. Anyway, I have some bigger issues to deal with before, but I gotta be prepared for this one when it'll come up, as it's a major feature I need to implement in order to register it.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Good way to put it metalmaker. I am glad the effort was made. Now in true FFR community fashion, let's improve upon it!

I'm hoping to visit FFR soon during a Boston trip. I hope to see a wiper kit installed in person. I wonder if after cutting the hood, we could reinstall the cutout using a bump out or tilt up. I'm not sure how much clearance is necessary to guess on the radical ness of my suggestion. It involves body work which is not my specialty, but I have some fiberglass experience. I am hoping that could be done to preserve the existing lines and may even stiffen the hood a bit. I just need to get a better look. Perhaps just playing with different lower profile arms could avoid the cutting altogether. I just can't see enough in these pictures.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Rich, putting these panels together is a 3D puzzle, slight adjustments in one area make a huge diff 4 feet away. I have at least an inch more clearance at the rear edge of the hood than the red car at FFR with the wiper kit installed (based on earlier photos)

For instance, I worked hard to get the front of my hood to align with the front edge of the front clip. That makes it very tight between the hood and the nose by the lights at the opening for the radiator. The red car has the hood back 1/4", that leaves better spacing but pushes the hood back closer to the windshield. They end up with delicate, almost knife edges at the tips of the hood. Their hood support holds the hood in place w/o the wiper soln. It is a simple piece of aluminum and a rubber edge molding.

I used the 5 inch tall hood support that I fabricated (Chris did it first... ) I make the hood arc up in the middle and the FFR hood support is a full inch too low. Between that and the hood being attached farther forward I have so much more room that I feel I can fit in the 2 arm wipe setup. It does cause access problems with the location of the fluid res for brake and clutch master cyl.

It's all give and take and compromise...
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the first wiper kit sold, it is sitting on my work bench as I type this. I do not think it looks bad installed, it does disturb the lines of the car but not enough to call it ugly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Between that and the hood being attached farther forward I have so much more room that I feel I can fit in the 2 arm wipe setup.
    What's your plan? Will you get FFR's kit or make your own or wait and see on another 818?
    Cuz if it fits for you, maybe that is the solution without cutting the hood.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    I have the first wiper kit sold, it is sitting on my work bench as I type this. I do not think it looks bad installed, it does disturb the lines of the car but not enough to call it ugly.
    Is the cowl as wide as the windshield or as wide as the cut in the hood?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, I'll be following your wiper work closely. Like Frank asked, do you think it'll fit without any cutting? That would be really nice! Otherwise, I'll do whatever I can to preserve the hood line, whether what I mentioned above or forming a curve up lip at the back edge like many oem cars have done. I'll follow your lead on the hood fitment to start. But I'm a few weeks away from that. Good discussion.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the cowl as wide as the windshield or as wide as the cut in the hood?
    as wide as the cut in the hood
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    as wide as the cut in the hood
    That's what I thought and it's bad for those who plan on cutting the entire section and relocate the pins, cuz you'll be missing the cowl on each side. So that's another thing to think of.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank it is what RM said. Also, the cowl under the hood runs the width of the hood, the wiper pocket itself is as shown in RM pic above. There are upper and lower fiberglass renforments as well. I can take detail pics if anyone needs them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So what are you going to do? Build your own? Not use wipers? Wait to see what others do?
    Ps I did build my own it's in my thread, and the FFR solution is ugly IMO.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207