Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TKO Shifting Problems

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like

TKO Shifting Problems

I still see a lot of bad comments on the 2-3 shifting problems with TKO's on various forums. Some 5-4 problems mentioned on this forum. Is this simply a tri-ax shifter fix or does it take the Liberty synchros to conquer this?? I find it hard to believe a bad tranny can stay on the market this long with shifting problems. I'm aware of all the bellhousing alignment and various clutch issues that can arise. I need to know if its really rails or synchros that are Tremec issues. Anyone have a long tearful TKO story?

Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding is that if you expect it to shift like a Miata you will be disappointed.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oRyrXNHYbf0

And if you want to spend more money at Liberty's Gears

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gmouQUaAANA
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 09-18-2014 at 12:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great trans! No complaints here.

I have a tko600 with over 6000 mi on it - installed new in 2012. The trans required some run time to loosen up as initially it was a little stiff - but very solid and shifts great (you need to shift like you mean it).
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! I was already eyeballing the face plate option. Anyone running upgraded shifters or face plates? I can shift like I mean it and drive it like I stole it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Both TKO 600's I have used in builds take some time to loosen up as mentioned. Some have reported different results with different fluids used. I use GM Synchromesh and it seems to work well.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you do a search you will find plenty of pros and cons. We had ours redone by Liberty and now shifts like it should, we had the whole package done, but probably could have just done the rails.
    Give Liberty a call.

Kenny

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was talked out of the faceplate option for this application by guys who have run both. For this I'm going with the carbon fiber, modified internal forks and rails, and the pro 5.0 shifter. I'll find out in the spring how it works...

Post Thanks / Like
    oN THE lIBERTY SITE THEY TALK ABOUT A PROCESS CALLED FACEPLATING. mAKES IT EASIER TO SHIFT AT SPEED.
    Last edited by mcwho; 11-25-2014 at 09:08 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    my tko600 loosened up a little bit after some miles were put on it but it is def a notcher shifter and requires a little bit more pressure. i had a shifter on it and never had problems shifting it or missing gears. it did take some time to get use to it compared to a looser and cheaper transmission like regular everyday cars have in them

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had one problem with ours it went into 3rd and 5th at the same time !! not good had to take the tunnel of and take the plate off the tranny to manually take it out of gear..i guess it's pretty common..besides that we beat on it all the time it's great!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    How much does a transmission shop charge fpr this FACEPLATING ?
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    gotta be careful with the face plating option. This requires an acquired skill to shift and you can really break stuff if you fight vs. finesse it. Finesse is different than soft shifting. Once learned you can shift clutchless, however, down shifting into a curve can be problematic. In the old days we just ground off every other synchro tooth and stiffened the shifter up. Faceplating is for specific applications. You can find plenty of you tube videos and talk to liberty and others about your application. My experience is with diesels so I didn't feel like matching engine speed, gears, and road speed on down shifts. With face plating you may get it in the next gear fast, but that doesn't mean the driveshaft will stay in the tunnel!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Liberty's Performance is local for me, so I had a chance to visit their shop and talk to them about the TKO600 for my Mk4 build. First of all, impressive shop and nice people. I explained I had a T-5 in my Mk3, and going to a TKO in my Mk4 I had heard about how they didn't shift as smoothly or easily. They said their syncro upgrade would give me just want I wanted. They also said it would take some time to break in, and also strongly recommended to only use genuine GM Syncromesh fluid. We talked briefly about faceplating, but this is for specific high performance and no-clutch shifting applications, and they didn't recommend for a street cruiser like mine. Took delivery on the modified TKO600 a few weeks later. I'm not on the road yet, but brief gokarts and it shifts fine. But I'll really only know next spring when it's on the road for real.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.