FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: new shifter

Post Thanks / Like

new shifter

so i recenty recieved a email about my upcoming order asking if i wanted to add the new ffr shifter does anybody have any information on these or how they compare to the k shifter option everyone is doing

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last I saw from FF, it was indeed a K-Tuned shifter, but not quite the same thing as what Wayne is selling. Also a major difference is that the one Wayne sells uses cables that go straight back from the shifter while the FF version uses the same cables that come in the kit today which run forward than do a 180 back. I'm pretty sure Wayne's comes with new cables specific to the new routing, and it might come with different rear mounting brackets as well.... but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No info on the FFR shifter, but Wayne's K-tuned kit does come with new, shorter (direct rear route) custom cables and one new bracket (rori sells a bracket for the other cable to optimize the pull angle).

Post Thanks / Like
    You can modify the FFR bracket to account for the pull angle. My favorite Rori part is the billet shifter adapter that goes on the shift linkage. If I had that piece, I'd plan the rear body panel cutouts to show it off with backlighting, lol. It's a work of art. I came up with my own solution just a week or two before he made that. Sad timing. If it was more visible, I would have bought that thing anyway.

If the FFR shifter is k-tuned, cable routing is likely the biggest difference with a possibility for more slop with the longer routing, though the shifter is crisp enough I doubt there will be any complaints in that department. I didn't "simplify" my EJ at all and found Wayne's cables a bit short to make it over the left side of the block. I made it work, but it is tight. They are sized (well gear engagement cable anyway) to go under the intake manifold. I still lean towards Wayne's, but if someone isn't "simplifying" like me, your shifter placement on the console will be limited without another cable. Since I'm doing the Boyd tank, with the seats and firewall further back already, it worked for me.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    They have the shifter in the catalogue now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
    You can modify the FFR bracket to account for the pull angle. My favorite Rori part is the billet shifter adapter that goes on the shift linkage. If I had that piece, I'd plan the rear body panel cutouts to show it off with backlighting, lol. It's a work of art. I came up with my own solution just a week or two before he made that. Sad timing. If it was more visible, I would have bought that thing anyway.
    I also got rori's billet arm... very pretty piece. I powder-coated my tranny plate and laser-etched the FFR logo into it, so I'm hoping all this bling will be visible through the rear mesh!

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    They have the shifter in the catalogue now...
    Looks nice, but the "no-cut" shifter in Wayne's kit is still sexier looking!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Wayne's cable routing better. Not so much because it's shorter (which likely helps and has less binding) but because it means less stuff to try and cram into the front driver foot box. Brake lines, clutch, coolant, and 2 shifter cables all through a tiny opening? Bah!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I like Wayne's cable routing better. Not so much because it's shorter (which likely helps and has less binding) but because it means less stuff to try and cram into the front driver foot box. Brake lines, clutch, coolant, and 2 shifter cables all through a tiny opening? Bah!
    But you should be able to go down the center console area with all that (except the coolant lines). So is Wayne's worth the $250 extra for the cables and mount?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    But you should be able to go down the center console area with all that (except the coolant lines). So is Wayne's worth the $250 extra for the cables and mount?
    IMO it is worth every penny.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, Wayne's is worth it. Cable routing and all.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)