Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: tofer9458's 818s race car

Post Thanks / Like

tofer9458's 818s race car

before i start a little background on me so you dont think im crazy ive been envolved in racing and insane speeds almost of my life i first competed at the age of 16 racing on a snowmobile in the grass i would run about 115mph in the matter of 500ft shortly after that i got my first sponorship fast forward to my first true love my first 03 wrx but being the ase certified mechanic that i am i surely couldnt leave that alone so it quickly involved into a fully built v mounted 600 whp beast that i sold bought my second one it slowly began being built up the same way but funds ran short so as i lay waiting for some more money to come rolling in i stumbled by this miracle the factory five 818 and thought to my self hey that would be interesting a 500 whp 1800lb rwd car like no other i will see around here shortly after i had my order placed and the fun begins

here is a run down of the plan and i do love critics

i am starting with the 818s (the wife was the decising factor on this one)

built ej20
    the rotating assembly has been fully balanced to 12000 rpms
    h beam rods
    cp forged pistons compression 8.5
    arp mainstuds
    arp headstuds
    10mm oil pump
    killer b oil pickup and 2.5 oil pan and baffle
    custom oil cooler
    jdm big port heads with a massive pnp job
    shimless buckets
    crower 272 cams (NOT BRIAN CROWER)
    2.5i intake manifold and 70mm t body
    e85 fuel
    fic 1680cc fuel injectors
    bomba fuel rails
    exedy twin disk clutch
    the transmission is out of a 96 jdm sti r/a spec with a 4.11 final this is the shortest gear transmission subaru has ever made
    i know it is not optimal but i had it laying around and should hold the power for a little while till i get a dog box

the turbo set is most def gunn be a large awic with a large ice resevoir
    i already have a 4 core koyo radiator
    the manifold is a custom rotated 1.5 scroll t3 flanged with a precision 5858 turbocharger on top
    i have a set of recaro seats from a buddys evo he swapped for brides
    im thinking a boyds fuel cell
    carbon fiber front lip
    carbon fiber street spoiler
    rays gram light rims (color undecided)
    i will be running a set of nitto 315/35/18 slicks in the rear in hopes to help put the power down
    if not a little "pimp juice" never hurt noone
    yes i know the axles are my weakest point i have been in contact with drive shaft shop coming up with a solution
    i will be running the new frr shifter they have just released
    boyds fuel cell
    a full dash2 cluster with the datalogging capabilites
    rotora 6 piston front brakes and 07 2 piston rears
    alpine stereo (wifes decision again i told her she was lucky she got a seat that didnt get me far)
    dyno tuning will be done at boostin performance
    this engine with smaller cams made 465 awhp on an hta green on e85

my main concern is traction will i be able to soften the rear suspension up enough to get it to hook enough to get a decent qt time
    my buddy has a pesky 800whp turbo s2k and i want to give it a run for its money

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Are those injectors big enough? Jeez man. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like quite a build.
    Are you building this just for drag or multipurpose?
    I think you set a new record for the most consecutive words without a period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    500 whp 818?! thats insane.

I just realized the phrase "giving someone a run for their money" directly applies to drag racing although it isn't clear if that is the origin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FFR is build a crazywhp capable 818 as we speak.

As for your build, good luck and we only believe it when you have pics and video of all your parts and dyno sheets to prove it. But sounds like a good plan, it will be very undrivable but fun as hell. Keep us informed
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 09-21-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Sounds like a beastly 818 - and I'm looking forward to the results. One of the Q-marks in my head is how well this platform will put power down in the quarter mile. Mind you, I have absolutely no interest in the quarter mile, but I am curious to see how well this car does in a wide range of uses.

So that's probably my first question (seconding Brando's Q), what's the primary purpose of the car? What "critiques" I have wouldn't make much sense for certain applications.

Second question, you list in your build plans "carbon fiber front lip" and "carbon fiber street spoiler" but I don't know what a "front lip" is if you have "spoiler" as a different line.

On to a friendly critique, the Rotora 6 piston front brakes seem like overkill. Sounds like you're planning on building a street/strip car, neither of which needs such a brake system. If this is just for the "street cred" of the looks, then cool. But street braking is cake for even modest systems and straight line braking at the end of the quarter is a one-time deal that isn't taxing the brakes the way open track duty does. Maybe this is a place to save money. Just a thought.

Look forward to the build results!

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    ok so i let this thread get a little lengthy without a reply,
    so first i am sorry about punctuation never have been good about that pair that with 2 red bulls and this thread is what you get.
    next question injector size that is acutally not that big, i will probably be close to maxing them out, you must remember i will be using
    e85 which burns about 30 % more fuel so those will in a since only be flowing about 1300cc if you were to use pump gas, match that with
    80 max idc and they dont seem so big anymore.
    next question is about my focus it will be primarly used on the street with a focus on the strip really want to see how well it performs in a line,
    and around me that is what everyone does there are 0 autocross tracks from me within hour driving distance and about 5 drag strips.

Post Thanks / Like
    as for the front spoiler i was referring to the carbon street splitter
    it should be surprisingly streetable with the large turbo since i dont expect spool till about 4200 rpm range, the engine on my old setup was a bit more hp and was surprisingly streetable
    as for the front brakes i know i dont need them but when you come across a set for 300$ that just need pads and rotors you dont pass that up.
    and i do not expect anybody to believe without pictures or dyno sheet so i will keep you all informed

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds rad, though I'm not following your plan entirely. Are those parts the current setup on your second WRX and do you plan on moving them to the 818, or are these spare parts that are lying around?

When's your delivery date?

Also, let me know what the drive shaft shop tells you, they are right around the corner from me, I am interested to see what they quote you for some beef axles.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.