Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best Ride height?

Post Thanks / Like

Best Ride height?

I have put about 140 miles on the car so far and it handles great but is stiff as hell!
    Just curious where everyone has their ride height adjusted too and what is the best point on the chassis to measure from.
    I am not sure I understand where FFR is measuring from as it seems really low for me. I am running 20" tires in the rear and 18" in the front.

I have also heard of others using softer springs to soften up the ride, such as using the rear springs in the front and use a softer in the rear? Is this is the case, what size springs and can you get springs that are a direct replacement or do you need to switch out the shocks?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like

frame sides

Quote Originally Posted by crspdsk8 View Post
    it handles great but is stiff as hell!
    Just curious where everyone has their ride height adjusted too and what is the best point on the chassis to measure from.
    I am not sure I understand where FFR is measuring from as it seems really low for me.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Charles
    Charles
    The ground clearance is measured under the side rails of the frame at the 4 corners of the passenger compartment.
    Right under the frame sides at the firewall before it kicks up and right under the frame sides at the back before it kicks up.

Yes the ride is harsh, maybe that's what the 33(HR) really stands for "Harsh Ride"
    Yes the FF ride height is too low for a street car in my part of the country, especially if you have running boards.

I think you dropped some data on tire height, surely those were just wheel sizes in your post.
    Dale
    Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles,

Here is what I found to work well for my car, as shown in an earlier post.

Shocks and Springs 2.0 for 33Coyote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The car is a continuous improvement project.

After 5000 miles, I decided the ride could use even more compliance on our rough roads here in Alberta. As mentioned previously, the car is set approximately 4 1/2" at the firewall and 5 1/2" in front of the rear fender. I found that the rear QA1 US502 shocks were at 16" extension, the max recommended sitting distance is 14 1/4". The front QA1 us 402 shocks were at 13 1/2", the max recommended sitting distance is 12 1/4". Since the shocks were so close to max extension, the suspension was not extending properly.

New configuration - The car is at the same height.
    Rear Shocks - QA1 DS702, 16" ext ( within recommended envelope), 12" 200 lb/in springs with 1" spacer. The spacer helps clear the shock mount on the axle.
    Front Shocks - QA1 US 502 13 1/2" ext ( only 1/4" shorter that recommended envelope) , 10" 325 lb/in springs.

The shocks are all set 4 clicks from softest at this time.

The new setup completely changed the characteristics of the car. The ride is still very firm, but it handles the frost strips, shallow potholes and pavement undulations very well at all speeds. It leans a little in the corners, but not much and is very acceptable for spirited street driving.

The car launches, corners and stops better also.

As referenced in my recent Bump Steer Post, the Tim Whittaker Bump Steer Kit has also contributed to the improved handling.

The big test has been a recent 1600 mile round trip to the coast with my father in the shotgun seat. We did 600 miles in one day with no discomfort or excessive fatigue.

BTW, over 20 USmpg average over whole trip.
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"