Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hey All! New Guy here!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey All! New Guy here!

Hey all, my name is Dave and I am from New Jersey. Please don't hold that against me... HaHa! Anyway, I have been non stop thinking about a kit car and the Cobra kit has been burnt into my mind. I am a mechanic by trade and will do most the work myself. I have a 1991 notch back mustang that will be the donner car. I don't have bottomless pockets so I was thinking of the basic kit and build off that one? I will be doing ALOT of reading and hope to get some great info from you all.
    Thanks

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome!

It's good you have your own donor. You know what you have out of the gate. So you won't waste time on things that need to be replaced if you know the components. I did a basic kit and donor pallet. I would do it differently but I didn't have my own Mustang to start with like you. Are you going to do a carb or EFI version? It will be fun no matter what. You just can't beat the thrill of driving one of these things. Some people enjoy the building process as much as the finished product. Personally, I like the driving better. I'm still working on mine to change things that I didn't do in the original build. Hope you have as much fun as I have had so far. Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings, You will have a great time building your car. There is a ton if info out there and feel free to ask questions.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-making

Check out this thread. He is doing a donor like you but with a coupe.. Best of luck with your build. I spent lots of time at the Jersey Shore as a teen. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started with a 94 donor, but only wound up using very few parts. One thing you'll find is the rear end on the Fox is the right width, but Fox body uses 4 lug axles. The SN-95 is 1 3/4" too wide. You can replace the 4 lug with Ranger pickup axles, they are the correct width and 5 lug. Then you have to make a decision whether to use the springs/shocks from the donor, or go to something from one of the forum vendors such as coil overs. You can use the gauges, but there is a lot of cutting to get them to fit. Then the wiring harness - do you want to do a diet, or buy an aftermarket. I'm not trying to discourage you, all of this is really a great experience. If you pay for these as you go, not so bad. Welcome to the madness - you'll get a lot of support here on the forums, and good and bad advice. I met a guy driving a MK I he purchased already completed - not happy at all with it, and is now going to build a MK IV. The original builder didn't do a good job on the finish and it looks pretty rough. The MK IV is greatly improved and doesn't require as much to complete. Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. I built my MKII using a donor and followed the manual. The results are a very nice roadster that I enjoy driving and telling people that I built it!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave, I also started with a basic kit and had bought an 89 GT that had not run in a couple of years, I ended up adding some things like wiring harnesses and gauges ,manual steering rack,changed to 5 lug front and rear, using donor car can work and and then change what you want.
    Good luck with your build.
    Walt

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on where you are in NJ, there is a great bunch of guys and gals that get together once a month ( at the Chester Diner. It is on Rt 206 about 10 miles south of I-80. It is either the 1st or 2nd Sunday. The schedule is usually posted in the Northeast Region sub-forum.

Steve
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    WoW! Thanks! I will deffinitly do the 5 lug conversion so I can get a better choice for wheels. I don't mine the work and I will put it on a diet. And with this not going to be a through together project I would like to go with a auto meter type gauge. With a kit car and the cobra kit do these still have to be inspected by the state? Like emissions? Or are they then classified as a classic car? Again I'm in NJ. Another question, I am a bigger guy and a buddy of mine told me he thinks I would be uncomfortable in the cobra kit? I'm 6' and 250ish..... + LOL! This of course wouldn't be a daily driver but he has me concerned? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave, I am 6 ft. 2 on. And 210 it can be a struggle getting in or out but when I'm in it fits great, you need to make it fit you, you can also use a quick release steering wheel set up some says it makes it easer to get in and out.
    Walt

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I started with a basic kit and a 92 LX.First built the motor with home ported heads and a Trick Flow stage 1 cam. It ran great. Later I up graded to better heads ,intake,fuel delivery system. It now runs much better.Plan your build so it's easy to add to what you have already done. Go with the Koni shocks you will not regret it.The ride and performance are way better than the stock springs and shocks.I've had my car on the road for about 7 years now and every year I've up graded or added something new to the car.It just keeps getting better.Roger