Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Total new guy and currently NOT an FFR owner :(

Post Thanks / Like

Total new guy and currently NOT an FFR owner :(

G'day,

I figured I should register finally after lurking around the website for a while. Don't own any FFR cars, but soooo want one. I have to wait a while longer since retirement has been tighter than expected. plus, we are hoping to get a house next summer with a garage that is big enough to put more than just 2 vehicles in. BTDT, not again. if not the garage, then a good sized shed for toys/projects. I love wrenching on things. Whether it's motorcycles, trucks (got a CTD currently), or cars, I'm game. Turned many a wrench/diag equipment while in the USAF and also worked as a mechanic part time during the same period. Miss that. sure, new vehicles are nice, but can't do much to them (until the warranty runs out). Now, an FFR car... OH YEAH!! I can totally get behind that.

Learned a ton so far but can't decide on engine/trans combo but I do have the color picked out. same as on my bike... 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R SE
    Blaze green and then add flat black stripes (ok maybe gloss black)... don't know if I can post pics without getting banned

Thanks for letting me join.

Scot "Z"

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. You will be able to post photos soon.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you live? Helping other fellow builders local to you is a great way to learn hands on with a F5R and make new friends in the process. I did just what I am recommending above and it was very rewarding to say the least.

Welcome aboard.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Picking the color is one of the hardest parts, your half way there!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Post where you live, odds are there will be FFR owners nearby. Visit them.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome! Which FFR are you interested in? What are you thinking? cruise, show, road-course, auto-x, drag? modern / vintage?

We're here to help u spend money and very good at it!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently, living in Box Elder, SD. Start work in Wy Monday at new job.

I would love the good ole Cobra. Hot rods never did much for me. as much as I love the GTM, just don't think I have THAT much of a skillset to tackle THAT as my first FFR. as far as 818. kinda cool, but would rather have something with that glorious v8 rumble (miss all my ole Mopars - 69 RR, numerous 68 chargers, 70 charger, 79 LRET, Duster 340, and a slew of PWs ... Not a Ford convert - own a T&C and 2014 Ram 3500). Plus, wife wants an old Mustang so getting a Ford powered Cobra would make things easier.

as far as other reasons, probably to cruise once in a while, drive the Hills a bunch, not sure about shows since I don't have OCD to get a car looking that good, MAYBE take it down the Strip once or twice, and I think that might be it.

Oh, and I would love to have some power under the pedal once again. Sure, my 14R is quick, but I don't know if I'll be able to ride 2 wheels as long as I would love to with all the medical issues. soooooo, 4 wheels it is.

Now, If I could fit the new Hellcat engine in a Cobra (SACRILEGE - I know), I'd do it in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Scot "Z"

Post Thanks / Like
    new info on current plans...

we would like to put a 351W, FI it, and put a 5-6spd behind it. paint it Blaze Green with flat black stripes. what ya all think? too spendy? trying to keep on a budget. as much as we would love a Coyote 5.0, WAY to spendy.

Thanks for all the insight, ya all.

Scot "Z"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2RR2NV View Post
    new info on current plans...

we would like to put a 351W, FI it, and put a 5-6spd behind it. paint it Blaze Green with flat black stripes. what ya all think? too spendy? trying to keep on a budget. as much as we would love a Coyote 5.0, WAY to spendy.

Thanks for all the insight, ya all.

Scot "Z"
    351 based engines are a great choice for Roadster builds. Lots of different budget points, easy to make good power, easy to work on and upgrade. I will only say that depending on what 351W you go for and then add EFI, you get very close to Coyote prices. I know, I just went through a lengthy review. Especially with a higher end 351W crate, like with a BOSS block, and aftermarket EFI (another $2 - $2.5K) makes it considerably more expensive than a Coyote. I know Coyote isn't in everyone's budget, but it's a pretty good bargain based on what you get. But don't get too hung up on power. Anywhere in the 300-400 HP range is VERY lively, and I will say it's as much about traction and setup as it is pure HP. The other point, 6 speed will only work with IRS in a Roadster. The driveshaft is just too short with a solid axle. IRS is a great choice, but will make a dent in the budget. Good luck with your plans. Hope you can join us soon. It's a blast.

One other suggestion I just thought off. If you haven't already, seek out other owners and looks at as many builds as possible. Also go for rides if possible. Don't expect anyone to let you drive their car (I don't let anyone...) but we love giving rides. You will learn a lot and really helps to make build decisions.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-29-2015 at 03:47 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    well, not looking for killer power. I figure 351 is just a good base, torquey, solid engine with lots of options. Not intending to go wild, just mainly solid. something dependable with very lil hassle. Isn't a Coyote up in 6-10k (or more) range?
    I'm fine with a 5spd. was just wanting to have as much gear up top to cruise on the highways and get some decent MPGs, Not into racing (got my bike for the speed fix), but want to have something different from everyone else from around here (too many dang camaros, vettes, mustangs, etc). which brings up the next point... I've only seen 1 cobra locally and it was powered with a SBC. Really? didn't get to hear it run and no idea what brand of kit car it was. I figure when it comes time to get serious, Maybe Dave can give me a short ride in one of the demo Cobras.

I can probably research it but quick question... can an IRS be added later on after the car is completed? or is the suspension one of those "you better get what ya want now" or it ain't happening

Scot "Z"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2RR2NV View Post
    well, not looking for killer power. I figure 351 is just a good base, torquey, solid engine with lots of options. Not intending to go wild, just mainly solid. something dependable with very lil hassle. Isn't a Coyote up in 6-10k (or more) range?
    I'm fine with a 5spd. was just wanting to have as much gear up top to cruise on the highways and get some decent MPGs, Not into racing (got my bike for the speed fix), but want to have something different from everyone else from around here (too many dang camaros, vettes, mustangs, etc). which brings up the next point... I've only seen 1 cobra locally and it was powered with a SBC. Really? didn't get to hear it run and no idea what brand of kit car it was. I figure when it comes time to get serious, Maybe Dave can give me a short ride in one of the demo Cobras.

I can probably research it but quick question... can an IRS be added later on after the car is completed? or is the suspension one of those "you better get what ya want now" or it ain't happening

Scot "Z"
    Agreed, 351 is a good choice for all the reasons you mention. They are relatively plentiful and price ranges all over the map from Craigslist specials to high dollar custom crates. Since they haven't been in a production car for 15 years or so, just about any are going to need work or have been worked on. Coyote is a roughly $9,500 ticket. Not trying to sell it. Just saying that when you compare apples to apples (420+ HP, EFI, warranty, fuel mileage, reliability, etc.) the value proposition is quite good. But from an absolute cost standpoint, there are cheaper options for sure.

I don't know about Dave giving test drives. Yea, I've seen the videos too. But you'd be much better off finding a local owner IMO. If you have to travel, there are other choices. The London Cobra Show for one. Check what clubs are in your area or surrounding areas. Shoot, come to the Detroit area (especially during Woodward Dream Cruise week!) and lots of us are around.

And yes, IRS is pretty much a one-time decision. Sure, there are guys that have installed IRS onto a non-IRS chassis. Think fabrication, welding, etc. Anything is possible. But in addition to chassis differences the rear axles and suspension components are completely different, and they're not cheap or interchangeable between IRS and solid axle. Best to do it the way you want from the start. Solid axle 3-link gives excellent performance for good value. Since you're looking toward the future, the IRS option will be the just released 2015 Mustang IRS version. It's a $2500 option when you buy the kit, and then you need to supply the center section, knuckles, hubs and brakes. The 3-link is not an extra cost when you buy the kit, but does require an 8.8 solid axle and brakes.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-30-2015 at 04:15 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, that's what I thought. I might do some things just because I can or simplify the build (alum heads, intake, Holley Pro-flo), but want to keep wiring issues/harnesses to a min. that's just me.
    I took a brief look at your current build. Flippin Awesome! very nice work.

hmm, guess I'll go the 3 link. IRS sounds/looks sweet, but money is the limit. definitely got a lot of research ahead of me. Time won't be the prob, tho. got tons of that til I actually purchase the kit.

Scot "Z"