FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1967 Shelby Cobra Relica - registration/inspection

Post Thanks / Like

1967 Shelby Cobra Relica - registration/inspection

Hello! hoping I can get some info. I'm currently looking at purchasing a 67 shelby cobra from a dealer in Florida. The car does not have windshield wipers or turn signals. anyone know if i need these in order to properly register and have it inspected in the state of TX? Any help would be appreciated!!! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to a thread that might help:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tion-Completed

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the car already has a title, then all you have to do is a simple title transfer and safety inspection.

Rob
    God is my cobrapilot!

Post Thanks / Like
    The car does have a title. I just had the car checked and appraised. (it's in Florida) My fear is...how do I get it inspected and registered in TX? It does not have windshield wipers. The local inspection shop won't do this right? Thanks Rob!

Post Thanks / Like
    Texas is suppose to require wipers, and I have them on mine, but I've seen Cobras in Texas that don't. If the station you take it to does require them, then just buy a clip on hand wiper and it will pass. When you go to do the title transfer they should give you a registration sticker.
    God is my cobrapilot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Inspection in Texas requires both wipers and turn signals. As RMB has stated, you may be able to get by without the wipers, but I doubt that any inspection station will give you a pass on the turn signals.

Which does raise a point - who ever builds one of these without turn signals? I've seen plenty that skip the wipers, which are only marginally useful in a roadster anyway, but I haven't heard of anyone skipping the turn indicators. Seems like a pretty basic requirement and certainly present on the original cars. IMHO I'd be wondering what else the builder skipped, that isn't visible but might bite you later.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys much appreciated. I was able to get the dealer to put in a turn signal kit. I also did have an appraiser go out and check things out and he was impressed with the quality of the build....I put a down payment no turning back now!
    are you guys aware of any local cobra clubs in TX?.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the Texas Cobra Club. I haven;t joined yet. Where in TX are you?
    Clip on wipers will get an inspection. Title transfer doesn't require inspection. What title do you want? If you intend to drive it a lot, you need a regular title. You can also get a Classic Car or Antique Vehicle plate. Antique limits you much you can drive them. But you only need the rear plate, and no yearly inspection. I did have to get it inspected by an ASE Master Technician (a brand new antique - can you imagine?). There is a form that must be filled out by the tech.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the website for the forms you will need. I was surprised - I live in Live Oak County - a backwoods area (or so I thought). The clerk in George West took about 5 minutes to whip out the title. I had all of my receipts, the inspection, and pictures of my build. She also had the antique vehicle plate in the office. You shouldn't have any trouble getting it registered. If you transfer straight (as the title comes from Fla.) you won't have any problem without the state inspection.

http://txdmv.gov/forms

Post Thanks / Like
    The forms are only necessary if you want the Antique title, as yours is already titled. It's nice not to have a front plate or window stickers. It restricts you to driving for gas, maintenance, or to shows. My car needs a lot of maintenance LOL. I live in the country so local law enforcement doesn't pay attention to us locals.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the DFW area...thanks for the info! I want to be able to drive the car on the weekends and not be too restricted....I'm confused and overwhelmed by all of this!! (I'll get over it). Are you saying once the dealer transfers the title to me I only have to register it at the local tax assessor office? And may not need an inspection? thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get the normal title you need an inspection, but not to get the title. For the title, you should get insurance, as they won't give you plates without it. You will also need front plate. With the clip on wiper you shouldn't have any trouble getting an inspection. The tax assessor/collector is the place to go - I went to DMV, TXDOT, and Highway Patrol before figuring out that the assessor was right. Sounds like you are on your way! Even with an already built car, you should visit the forum regularly. You may want to make mods to your car and this is the place to find answers. There are lots of owners close to you and I have read that they meet.
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the help! really appreciate it!