Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wheel sizes

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel sizes

I have closely followed and searched all the wheel and tire threads and believe, based on that, the safe wheel size is 17x8 front and 18x9 or 9.5 rear (9.5 requiring offset trailing arms). This is with a 40-45mm offset.

Does anyone know if an 18" wheel will fit up front? What I have read is 24" dia max front. A 215/35/18 is 24" so just wondering if there is any reason it wouldnt fit.
    Last edited by Hindsight; 09-26-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the originally recommended 215/45-17. When I first mounted the tire with 17x8's with 40-42 offset, the corner of the front firewall aluminum just touched the bottom of the tread. Comparing your proposed size, I think it would just barely rub, requiring very little modding to build some gap clearance into the setup. To get my setup to work, I installed a 3/8" spacer between my control arm and the steel pivot adding caster. The matching upper a arm adjustment helped too. That got me to just touching where you'll likely start. Adding a 5 mm clip on the steering rack under the bellows to limit steering limit made it work. All that said, the body isn't mounted yet, lol. In short, from what I've seen, that should be fine.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rich
    Last edited by Hindsight; 09-27-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    I have closely followed and searched all the wheel and tire threads and believe, based on that, the safe wheel size is 17x8 front and 18x9 or 9.5 rear (9.5 requiring offset trailing arms). This is with a 40-45mm offset.

Does anyone know if an 18" wheel will fit up front? What I have read is 24" dia max front. A 215/35/18 is 24" so just wondering if there is any reason it wouldnt fit.
    Yes, an 18 will fit on the front. The problem is that you need to go with a 215/35/18 tire to keep the diameter within range. I have 18's on the front, and had to special order tires to fit. It would have been much cheaper to go with 17's on the front.

Lesson learned.
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did 18 on the front and had to go to a special tire. 17" is the way to go IMO.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I'll definitely keep it easy and stay 17 in the front.