Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Another Illinois Registration Thread - with pics!

Post Thanks / Like

Another Illinois Registration Thread - with pics!

Well, it's not really a graduation thread as there are a few things on the car that are just an illusion (like the hood and trunk just being set in place for the photos), but I finally got my car to the point where I could take the four required photos (front, rear, and both sides) to submit to the State of Illinois as part of my application. I filled out all the paperwork back in the summer, but left it sitting (undated) on my workbench. Since the state requires the photos to show a completed car, I had to wait until now to submit everything. My application is now in the mail as of this morning, so let's start that clock ticking... Based on the experiences of a few others here and at the other board who've gone through the process in this state, I'm guessing it'll be 2 -3 weeks before the inspection and another 4 - 6 weeks after that for title and plates.

I still have a few things to take care of before that inspection, though, such as final work on the wipers, the aforementioned hood and trunk lid, and a few trim pieces (such as the under-door aluminum and carpet in those areas), and getting the 15" wheels and Avon tires worked out. But, I'm guessing that I'll be done with my to-do list sometime in the next week.

So, here for your consideration (as sort of a "pre-graduation") is FFR #7074:

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, Chris! Holy Cow - 8 weeks to get it registered? I guess this is what I have to look forward to as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking roadster, I like that green.
    Doug

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful, just beautiful. Nice work.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stunning, absolutely stunning. Wow.

We did what was called a "hard transfer" here in Michigan. Basically, the CT title was going to take too long, and the owner was moving. We both showed up with a Bill of Sale - I swear it was not going to work or go through given the nature of both the car and the sale, but was given a plate and registration on the spot and three weeks later I was one happy camper when the title arrived in the mail.
    Last edited by rwantin; 09-30-2014 at 04:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the nice words on the car, guys. I'm really happy to be at this stage and (sort of) looking forward to the next project - more to come on that soon.

For those in Illinois who are approaching this process, make sure you contact the Secretary of State's office in Springfield and speak with Nicholas Banister (I'll have to look for his direct line and post it later). He sent me all the forms that are needed, plus an instruction sheet. Note that the IL Motor Vehicle Code appears to allow antique plates for these cars, but I was told that initially I cannot request those. Instead of arguing the point, I will take the standard passenger car plates, then do a transfer at my local SOS (DMV) field office to antique plates over the winter.

Here is a list of what I submitted as part of the review and application process:

A check to the IL SOS for title and plates - $196.00
    A check to the IL Dept of Revenue for sales tax on the kit - 6.25%
    The original Certificate of Origin from FFR
    Completed Statement of Construction (state form)
    Copy of the IL Certificate of Title for vehicle that provided the engine / trans
    Copy of IL RUT-50 tax form showing payment of taxes for the above "donor" vehicle
    Completed ST-44 tax form for the sales tax due on the FFR invoice amount
    Copy of my original FFR invoice for the kit
    Two of the “blue application” forms – The instructions were a bit confusing, so I completed them slightly differently and asked the state to use whichever is best.
    Four photos – front, rear, and both sides of completed car (not the above photos)

I'll let you all know as soon as I hear from the State as to the date of my inspection - hopefully in a couple of weeks.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked with the state today and learned that Nick (the guy that others have dealt with) is no longer there. The number remains the same (217-558-2406), but the new person is Debbie. She was really nice and assured me that my paperwork had been received and was "in process." She said everything was on its way to the Secretary of State police so that they can contact me for the inspection. No word on how long it will be before I hear from the SOS PD on that, but I hope soon.

Tick-tock... fall is speeding by pretty fast... maybe 6 more weeks before the season is over.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hearing through the grapevine that my paperwork is now at the local Secretary of State office and was assigned to an inspector. Just waiting for a return phone call. It's supposed to be a little warmer next week, so I'm hoping for inspection soon so I can hit the road for a few miles before winter blows into town.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    ... and I now have a date for inspection - Friday 10/31.

I'll keep you all posted!!!!
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Just over 41 hours to go before my inspection and I'm getting really excited - haven't felt like this since a little kid at Christmas.

Talked with my insurance agent today and they agreed to bind coverage on the car as of today, with the promise that I get the VIN to them on Friday. Even though I'm excited about the upcoming inspection, I'll definitely sleep better now that I have insurance on this thing!!!
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for fun - here's another pic from last weekend as I circulated the airport taxiways... I can't wait to get out of the shallow end of the pool and get on the road!

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Great color, really clean look!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job - the car looks awsome! Good luck tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the inspector from the IL Secretary of State police came out today and - to cut to the chase - everything worked and 7074 passed!!!!!

He actually spent a couple hours going over it and doing some computer work in his car. We started with him giving it a thorough going over just to look at everything, then he had me do a function test (lights - brights & dims, horn, turn signals, flashers, wipers, etc...). We ran it up on the lift so he could check numbers, which is a real pain with the engine installed. Fortunately, I'd pre-located them, but the engine numbers were very faintly etched. Still, he was able to satisfy himself that none of the major drivetrain parts were stolen - another hurdle crossed. Finally, he had me start it so he could hear the pipes - I was a bit worried about this, as the car has quite a bit of run time on it already and every time I start it now you can see a small amount of the rusted packing that blew out on the hangar floor. As a result, I've noticed a slight increase in the sound level, but he said it was fine (even running inside the hangar).

The final step was for him to stamp the state-assigned VIN on the chassis and rivet an adhesive aluminum plate with the VIN number on it over top of the stamping. He documented all of this with photos and suggested that I stamp the VIN in a few other places on the chassis, which seems like a good idea.

He was very respectful of the car - asking me how far he could open the door, saying he'd do the stamping as gently as possible, and making sure not to lean on the car with anything that could scratch it. In the end, it was a pleasant process and certainly left me with a positive feeling. Sure, it's more hoops than many of you have to jump through in other states, but I now have the assurance of the state that my car meets road requirements - which should be helpful if I'm ever stopped for an equipment issue.

Finally, he said I should have my plates by the end of next week and the title shortly thereafter. Let's just hope for a couple of warm late Fall days here in the Midwest.

Oh yeah... the cheesy front license plate bracket is gone now, too.

Next thread - graduation!!!!!

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Job Chris Proceed clear of the taxiway
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it's almost "the end of next week". Did the plates show up yet? I'm sure you want to hit the road before the polar vortex arrives next week...

Post Thanks / Like
    No plates yet, but you can bet I already hit the road!!! It's insured, so I headed out with my '65 California manufacturer's plate proudly displayed. I put a hundred or so miles on it last weekend, even though it was in the low-40s, and took my wife and a bunch of friends for rides.

I've never had a copy ask me for a copy of my title when pulled over (or run my VIN for that matter) and not having registration on the car (though it would show on the cop's computer as "in process") is only an equipment violation.

So, here's to internal combustion and to wind in the face - cheers!!!!
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    For those keeping track - 15 days from the time of inspection and my title has arrived. Still no plates, though, but I didn't let that stop me from putting a hundred or so miles on it while using the antique plates from my wife's car since those are going to eventually be transferred to my car.

I'll do a final update to this thread once the plates arrive so those of you who are going through the registration process in Illinois will have something to use as a reference.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I can close out this thread as a success, now. I received my plates this week - 40 days after the inspection. As mentioned in one of the earlier posts, Nicholas (the guy who used to handle this process in Springfield) told me that I could only order standard plates with the title application process. I didn't want to argue with him about it at the time - if for no reason other than to ensure that my paperwork didn't end-up on the floor. Today I stopped by my local Secretary of State driver's services facility (DMV for you guys in the other states) and transferred some old expanded use antique plates that I had laying around from a past car over to my FFR. So, my car is now titled and, more importantly, has antique registration, allowing me to drive it with '65 license plates on it.

Here it is - since the car is a copy of a Shelby, I figured the license plate should be, too:

Last edited by Gumball; 12-14-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Aah, relief! Legal at last. Congratulations, Chris. And don't forget about us here.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Chris!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done Chris!
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build