BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: when do you install the innner fender sheet metal? after front hood and fenders ?

Post Thanks / Like

when do you install the innner fender sheet metal? after front hood and fenders ?

i am ready to install the front fenders and hood and wonder when is the best time to install the inner
    sheet metal?
    thanks,
    kerry

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just starting on the wheel well aluminum. I can't imagine doing it with the fenders on. I think the answer is some yes some no. The front triangular pieces can go on without the fender. I did the lowers and it looks like the uppers mount from the inside. If I knew that I would have riveted them before I installed the rack, column, master cylinder, etc.. Not to mention the brake line in the way. Somebody mentioned that already, I wanted to look up his solution but the search feature is not really effective or I just don't know how to use it. How did you make out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by indiana818 View Post
    i am ready to install the front fenders and hood and wonder when is the best time to install the inner
    sheet metal?
    thanks,
    kerry
    I am leaving any sheet metal off until last.
    Once the body is all fitted, I will take it off to do the sheet metal.
    It is so much easier to build the car with full access.
    I can't imagine trying to mount my seats and seat belts with the sides or bottom on the car.,

P1050114s.jpg

If you look closely, I still have clecos in the rear firewall
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-22-2014 at 06:36 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I am leaving any sheet metal off until last.
    Once the body is all fitted, I will take it off to do the sheet metal.
    It is so much easier to build the car with full access.
    I can't imagine trying to mount my seats and seat belts with the sides or bottom on the car.,

P1050114s.jpg
    Same plan for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I had gone that sequence, Bob. I made the mistake of getting most of the interior panels powdered and installed prior to doing things like the gas tank and rear firewall. Didn't make them impossible but I had to be really careful fitting the tank in/out.