Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR Carpet Kit

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Carpet Kit

Has anyone used the FFR carpet kit for the 818? I would like to carpet the majority of my interior and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the kit they offer. Looking for info on quality and how much it actually covers. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the carpet kit with my car. My car is far from the point of installing the carpet, but I did open the box to take a quick peek. It looks like they sent a big piece of carpet into the same laser cutting machine that cuts all the aluminum panels, then pressed 'print'. ...I'm trying to give a visual of lots of cut up pieces of carpet. It does NOT look anything like the donor cars' carpet. It's not one big piece that will just lay out into the cockpit.
    Again, I have not taken all the pieces out of the box.

Funny thing is, while ordering my kit over the phone, I asked FFR about the carpet kit. I asked what it covers, and how many pieces. Their response was "its just like the 33 hot rod kit." I just said "oh, o.k. thanks, I'll take it", but was thinking; wth?, does everyone build all their cars and know what all the cars and options look like?

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up and installed the carpet kit. It comes in all pre-cut pieces and covers all of the interior except under the seats or any of the new aluminum style center console. I still had a few leftover pieces that I could not figure out where they went but I had covered everything I wanted to anyway. It was all pretty easy to install, just might need some minor trimming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. So it does cover the old fiberglass center console? What about the firewall behind the seats?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe there is carpet for either center console. The entire firewall behind the seats get covered as well as both sides and the dead pedal(which I didn't install)
    p1000786.jpg
    p1000844.jpg
    p1000856.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good, thanks for the pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the pieces precisely cut or are they a bit over sized? I have my firewall moved back and I'm wondering if the pieces for the sides of the cockpit are big enough to cover the extra few inches.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K3LAG View Post
    Are the pieces precisely cut or are they a bit over sized? I have my firewall moved back and I'm wondering if the pieces for the sides of the cockpit are big enough to cover the extra few inches.
    They are precisely cut but some will need minor trimming depending on what modifications people make to their interior. I made my rear firewall removable, luckily because the side carpet pieces extend past the firewall. Not sure if its enough to cover your extra few inches but there is a good chance. I had to trim about 1/8"off of both sides of my rear firewall to compensate for the carpet thickness on the sides and to make it removable.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you like the quality of the carpet kit? Does it have an OEM look and feel to it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Has a nice oem look to it. I purchased them for the second 818 too.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am trying to install the carpet kit. no instructions , just a bunch of cut carpet pieces that look a little like some of the interior aluminum pieces. notches sort of line up but no way to tell what is what. Anyone have recent experience with the carpet??
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by insurance guy View Post
    i am trying to install the carpet kit. no instructions , just a bunch of cut carpet pieces that look a little like some of the interior aluminum pieces. notches sort of line up but no way to tell what is what. Anyone have recent experience with the carpet??
    You have to play jigsaw puzzle with them. Take your time and they will make sense. I have done 3-818S's and still have to put on my thinking cap to figure it out. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I am trying to determine what is carpeted,
    I found:
    Rear firewall
    Side pieces that go under door jamb
    Front carpet
    Small dead pedal
    Front sides

There is no carpet for under floor
    I have a piece cut like it fits between shifter and e brake
    2 small pieces that look like they are for shifter

Then I have 1 large pieces that are similar to firewall but I already have firewall piece
    Then another large non did ripe piece.

My question would be what did you carpet
    Sides of console and shifter tunnel?
    Front firewall?
    I am sure I can. Find uses and cut to fit but was interested in what other have done.
    Do the edges need a binding or did you leave as received?
    Does it fray if there is no binding?

Thanks
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by insurance guy View Post
    Guess I am trying to determine what is carpeted,
    I found:
    Rear firewall
    Side pieces that go under door jamb
    Front carpet
    Small dead pedal
    Front sides

There is no carpet for under floor
    I have a piece cut like it fits between shifter and e brake
    2 small pieces that look like they are for shifter

Then I have 1 large pieces that are similar to firewall but I already have firewall piece
    Then another large non did ripe piece.

My question would be what did you carpet
    Sides of console and shifter tunnel?
    Front firewall?
    I am sure I can. Find uses and cut to fit but was interested in what other have done.
    Do the edges need a binding or did you leave as received?
    Does it fray if there is no binding?

Thanks
    Every thing except the part under the seats gets carpet. The front I end up cutting in 2 pieces to make it fit easier. I ended up with a custom console so some of that I did not use. You can buy extra from FFR to cover anything you want to. Remember these are somewhat custom cars so it is really up to you how you want to do it. No 2 are exactly alike. I personally like that about kit cars. There is no binding and I have not had any problems with the 6 kits I have built so far and all had carpet kits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reviving this thread. Has anyone made up a template for the carpet kit. Some pieces make sense, like the rear firewall, front floor, side pieces. But some pieces have me baffled. Is there a section for over the handbrake? Shifter/Console? You'd think the least FFR would do is diagram the basic layout,

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the pieces that I'm not sure about.
    IMG_20180601_1223023_rewind.jpgIMG_20180601_1223355_rewind.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished carpeting my 818S without a kit, but those pieces sure look like the center-tunnel and drivers side floor to me.
    For other's reference, I found a nice outdoor black carpet and used it; Shaw Softscape 1, and I used most all of 60 sq-ft at $77 total. It's thinner than the FF "floormats" supplied, but I needed that for seat-lever clearance on the sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it was the center tunnel too, but it doesn't seem close to fitting there. Already have the carpet in on the floor in front of the seats.