Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 right at home with the best of them.

Post Thanks / Like

818 right at home with the best of them.

Monarch Beach Car show-

Cars and Coffee Irvine was closed down in December for noise reasons so while they have relocated, the exotics still love the coastal areas (most of them live down here). This morning I stumbled upon a few of them in their own little area of the show. The 818 looks right at home next to two McLaren MP4s and a P1 (!!!). While I love the electric, I really wished I had the ICE motor in there so I could go play with them along a famous highway route without worrying about range. Would have been fun. Still, the EV was just amazing heading down PCH through Laguna. So smooth and quiet, I could really enjoy the cruise and the stereo (And no gas smell!). Then it was a fun rip home through the Canyon just beating on corners without a single chirp of a tire. I'm loving the car more and more.

Sorry about the photos, I just realized they were blurry. The iPhone was acting weird this morning. I did have the perfect shot in the first one until a delivery truck pulled up and blocked the sun.

e

The back end of the car needs some work compared to these guys, But at 1/10 the price, who cares!

Last edited by ehansen007; 01-17-2015 at 01:15 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great ! The only difference to me in the back is theirs have some black. Add some black and the 818 looks just as good IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frankly, I think the behind of the 818 is butt ugly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    I agree. I have been trying to figure out how to change it. I will definitely be doing the recessed license plate mod, dual exhaust, and possibly some lower side vents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, looking at the mp4s, there needs to be some blacking out in the rear of the 818 and more interesing lights.

No ofense Eric, but driving on the highway sounds pretty boring, especially in So Cal. I used to live up in Calabasas, I highly recommend you haul your car up to latigo canyon rd, take mulholland hwy, then Malibu canyon south to piuma canyon and get to PCH on las flores canyon. That can be maybe 35 miles of the windiest, emptiest, and most beautiful roads anywhere, and I've been to Southern Italy. I used to try to drift my first beamer throughout those roads. You have to watch out for on-coming high speed bikes though... and coyotes and roadrunners.
    Last edited by Speedy G; 01-18-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah- the 818 rear end is really ugly. We need Vman's design.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say that the premise of this thread is a bit hard to believe ("..at home with the best of them"). Those McLarens are so awesome, there isn't any comparison. At least the 818 is totally rare which is going to make it worth checking out.
    By the way, where did C&C Irvine relocate to?
    I took my RCR Razor to C&C Carlsbad yesterday and the event was mobbed - many many great cars! Maybe it picked up some of the Irvine people?
    I know there are some San Diego people who must be about ready to take their cars to Carlsbad. Let us other locals know and we will be there for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    I don't share that view, with some mods it can look quite good. Being fiberglass instead of thermoformed plastic that was in The original plan makes it much easier to make changes. That said, I can't wait to see what FFR has coming in the changes alluded to in other threads..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    I wouldn't say the 818 rear is ugly. It's not bad, but could be better. It's mostly in the area of the top (R version) and bottom vent shapes.

I tired working the Vantage rear into the 818, but doesn't work that well.

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I don't share that view, with some mods it can look quite good. Being fiberglass instead of thermoformed plastic that was in The original plan makes it much easier to make changes. That said, I can't wait to see what FFR has coming in the changes alluded to in other threads..
    Being out of fiberglass should make mod.s easier.

Depending on the changes FFR might have made, that some have alluded to in other threads. Not sure if the ideas for the rear I have in mind will still work. With that being said. I do have a whole new rear idea(s) for the current 818.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Vman your time is well spent on the rear. I would keep going with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vman, so far, I like your designs. The original 818 rear with the dual exhaust and modified fiberglass sections looks great. keep it up. With a more modern rear splitter that comes up from the bottom, it would be right up there with the exotics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Wash your mouth out! I personally love the rear end of this car and happens to be my fav angle to view. With the carbon spoiler and a well placed exhaust I think the rear is perfect!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I pretty much like the whole design! As do onlookers.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy G View Post
    Well, looking at the mp4s, there needs to be some blacking out in the rear of the 818 and more interesing lights.

No ofense Eric, but driving on the highway sounds pretty boring, especially in So Cal. I used to live up in Calabasas, I highly recommend you haul your car up to latigo canyon rd, take mulholland hwy, then Malibu canyon south to piuma canyon and get to PCH on las flores canyon. That can be maybe 35 miles of the windiest, emptiest, and most beautiful roads anywhere, and I've been to Southern Italy. I used to try to drift my first beamer throughout those roads. You have to watch out for on-coming high speed bikes though... and coyotes and roadrunners.
    I'm not talking about the Freeway, I'm talking about the highway, mainly Ortega Hwy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigAl View Post
    I have to say that the premise of this thread is a bit hard to believe ("..at home with the best of them"). Those McLarens are so awesome, there isn't any comparison. At least the 818 is totally rare which is going to make it worth checking out.
    By the way, where did C&C Irvine relocate to?
    I took my RCR Razor to C&C Carlsbad yesterday and the event was mobbed - many many great cars! Maybe it picked up some of the Irvine people?
    I know there are some San Diego people who must be about ready to take their cars to Carlsbad. Let us other locals know and we will be there for sure.
    I meant it looks at home with the best of them. Sure there is no comparison but we can dream can't we? Irvine C&C relocated to the Tustin District.