Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 818 Hard Top Tease

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    IT's only going as far as the front deck engine cover and around the humps so you can still use the trunk (to check tranny oil?) .
    Makes sense, if they still plan on releasing a trunk storage space...
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisromersh View Post
    I Agree with indiana818 I'm all in as well! I hope when they release the hard top they also come out with AC/Heat for the 818 & Power windows.
    Once I build my 818S I will have to get rid of my other vehicle because of space restrictions, the above options would help me drive my 818S more year round as the weather here can be extremely cold to extremely hot and humid and not forgetting the traffic jams, I will watch with eager anticipation but still 75% sure this is the right kit for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gpaterson View Post
    ...as a community we shouldn't feel limited by what FFR have developed and should be showing a little innovation ourselves....I think that because the out-of-the-box 818 has a rather plain body it provides each of us the opportunity to do something ourselves to make our cars standout rather than each of us having a clone.
    AGREED! One of the things I actually like about the 818 is that for me its body has no history (I wasn't around for the design contest). I have no respect for this body design (which is different from saying I don't like it, it's fine for what it is). So there's little to inhibit me from cutting the shnizzle out of it to make it as I see fit. In contrast, I would be very hesitant to cut up a Mark IV body (even the Challenge cars make me a bit ill from time to time) because I respect the lines and the history from which they came. But the 818, hell that's fresh meat!

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen more folks modifying the body yet. I can't say what I'm planning will appeal to all folks, but I can say that the nose is getting a serious makeover in my build. Why would I keep it if it isn't serving my purposes or tastes?

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree completely with you J. Only issue I have modifying anything to the way I want it to look is first the domino effect changing multiple area will effect many other places. Maybe after I get my body on the way I want it. Then I can move forward with making changes. Right now it would be pointless to make drastic changes when I can't even get the OEM to fit right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also agree. Get the body on first to your satisfaction; then you've got a firm point of reference for any changes. I figure my body is going to be on and off many times before I'm done (and that's not including painting).

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    I for one am very interested to see what the guys running 255/295 combo tires will do. Flares should work, but before long someone will be doing a wide body.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    A wide body would be interesting and probably pretty cool looking. However I see that as more of a show car thing than performance. If you are already running a 255/295 combo, going even wider on tires in a car as light as an 818 would likey make it a lot more difficult to get heat in the tires. Though if you are looking for a wider stance without going to wider tires, that is something else too. Definitely lots of options.

Post Thanks / Like
    so could we have another teaser photo?
    maybe silhouetted in profile pic
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the new hard top when I visited FFR a week ago.
    I can't post any pics but I can say without a doubt this top is a TOTAL game changer for the 818.
    I hope I am not overstepping any confidences here (mad dog will no doubt sort it out if so) but there is MUCH more than just a hard top happening. I can't wait to see the new car finished! It's gonna blow you away. Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Makes sense, if they still plan on releasing a trunk storage space...
    The deep red 818 at FFR has a nice trunk storage space built in which I am sure is developing for release. Makes it a very handy little car if you can fit your man bag in there.

As far as I understood the frame will not change for the hardtop (although for extra stiffness and safety you could easily add a halo to the existing cage if wanted)

Did someone say also that it will have power windows? Whole new face for the front? Complete retrofits for the exisiting car? And more?

I didn't ;-)
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    I saw the new hard top when I visited FFR a week ago.
    I can't post any pics but I can say without a doubt this top is a TOTAL game changer for the 818.
    I hope I am not overstepping any confidences here (mad dog will no doubt sort it out if so) but there is MUCH more than just a hard top happening. I can't wait to see the new car finished! It's gonna blow you away. Seriously!

The deep red 818 at FFR has a nice trunk storage space built in which I am sure is developing for release. Makes it a very handy little car if you can fit your man bag in there.

As far as I understood the frame will not change for the hardtop (although for extra stiffness and safety you could easily add a halo to the existing cage if wanted)

Did someone say also that it will have power windows? Whole new face for the front? Complete retrofits for the exisiting car? And more?

I didn't ;-)
    hmmm.......so has FFR made major changes to the body. You said something about a "new face for the front". I might just be wasting my time on the 818 2.0 etc., then.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Gezzzz, how am I going to keep this build under $25k.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm staying silent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any news one when they're going to release these additions? I'm getting to the point where I need to slap the body back on, but may hold off it there are some significant improvements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    Any news one when they're going to release these additions? I'm getting to the point where I need to slap the body back on, but may hold off it there are some significant improvements.
    I think the guys said they would show it at open house.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    I'm staying silent.
    Hahaha...

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    So much for this being on the QT. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    So much for this being on the QT. LOL.
    Walace, No info from me. I am careful what I say as Dave told/showed me in confidence. Scotty was shown the set up by Dave Smith himself so I am not responsible :-) I believe Dave will release info but like most things he wants it to present well, right now the work is still on going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Any news on how much will come for the standard 10,000$ vs be additional? Still also thinking about weight here. the 818kg/9,900$ price point is magic for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12