Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gary's 818SEx4

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gary's 818SEx4

Hello everyone. I'm from Southern Ontario, Canada, about an hour from Toronto. I hope it's not too early to start this thread. I will be doing something pretty unconventional. 818SEx4 means model S of course. Electric. AWD. I haven't found anyone else doing an AWD yet so, not too much help there. I can't brag about being a racing guy. I've never been on a track. . .other than go-carts and some 1/4 mile fun. I can't even say I'm a Subaru guy. I do think they are awesome cars, but I've never owned one and know very little about them. I'm starting to learn from reading on this site though. My mechanical skills are pretty good though. I've rebuilt just about everything on a car at least once. . . somethings many times. lol. Not so much transmissions, but plenty of engine jobs and the rest. I'll be doing most of this myself I expect, although I do have an offer from someone to help. I tend to do all my projects solo for some reason. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions and please jump in to offer suggestions, I'm not offended easily. I'm still learning every day. I've been involved with the electric thing for a number of years now (not nearly as long as Bob n Cincy). I've done several builds, all with DC series wound motors so far. I've done 9", 11" and 13" motors. Mated to standard transmissions, clutchless, and direct drive/overdrive versions. I also own and drive a Chevy Volt and have almost 100,000 km on it now. It is AC drive of course. I've also messed with a lot of different batteries over the years. Testing and building packs. I hope I don't run into any major snags.
    My background is Welding Engineering and I am also a Journeyman Welder. I work for Magna, in the Cosma group, automotive factory (we actually make most of the Volt under body). I spent many years working in a frame plant and have a fair bit of experience with frame prototyping, welding and automation.

As for the car, I picked it up already.
    Attached Images Attached Images