BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Damper Valve Needed?

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Damper Valve Needed?

Went to hook up my fuel lines today and noticed a fuel damper valve on my donor engine's previous inlet fuel line....do I need to keep this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I kept mine, figured it couldn't hurt. They use it for some reason and chances are that reason still exists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was in the fuel tank on the 04FXT. I kept it there.
    Bob
    P1050087s4.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 11-16-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    With stock pump yeah why not, with upgraded pump I would say not needed.

Ps on upgraded pumps, the stock fuel controller will limit voltage to much to get the more powerful pumps to do there job. This is when you just hard wire the pump to a relay and call it a day.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the Boyd tank and the pump they provided, I assume it's considered an upgraded pump. I also did keep the fuel pump controller. I am now curious about fuel pressure. I will do some testing after I finish mounting body panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quiny, please keep me posted on what you learn. I just started on wiring and would like to know whats best. The instructions for the Aeromotive 340 pump in the Boyd tank are generic, and say to use a relay with either 12V or the vehicle harness supply. Given that this pump can support 2-3X the flow required for a typical EJ, its propbably not an issue, but it would be nice to verify.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was on the fuel line going to the engine? Or the return line? I didn't put mine on yet, but I've found a few accounts of engine failure that could be due to pressure variations in fuel lines. So I want to make sure I put mine back in at the right place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    It was on the fuel line going to the engine? Or the return line? I didn't put mine on yet, but I've found a few accounts of engine failure that could be due to pressure variations in fuel lines. So I want to make sure I put mine back in at the right place.
    The Fuel pressure damper goes in the pressure line going to the engine. My 04FXT had it in the tank right after the pump. My 06NA and 07NA impreza has it on the left front fender right before the engine.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My 06 came with one on the return and feed lines.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Wleehendrick the stock fuel controller cannot handle the Aeromotive pump. The one from my 05 Sti couldn't handle the pump and pulled back fuel pressure. Was fine at startup but once warm pulled voltage to the pump and pressure would drop to low. I bypassed the fuel controller and used the stock fuel pump relay and all went back to normal. I even removed the fuel controller and got no codes or issues. Good luck with your wiring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Quiny, please keep me posted on what you learn. I just started on wiring and would like to know whats best. The instructions for the Aeromotive 340 pump in the Boyd tank are generic, and say to use a relay with either 12V or the vehicle harness supply. Given that this pump can support 2-3X the flow required for a typical EJ, its propbably not an issue, but it would be nice to verify.
    I will let you know, I can say that it seemed ok during the gokart. I haven't looked into it yet but would removing the pump controller remove the pump shutdown during key-on engine-off? I like the fact that I can leave the key on without the pump humming away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by taco20 View Post
    Hey Wleehendrick the stock fuel controller cannot handle the Aeromotive pump. The one from my 05 Sti couldn't handle the pump and pulled back fuel pressure. Was fine at startup but once warm pulled voltage to the pump and pressure would drop to low. I bypassed the fuel controller and used the stock fuel pump relay and all went back to normal. I even removed the fuel controller and got no codes or issues. Good luck with your wiring.
    Wish you told me this yesterday before I wired in the fuel controller

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by taco20 View Post
    Good to know; thanks for the info, taco!

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot speak to a stock setup and I can only speak of my personal experiences. I have done a lot of reading about the damper and find it inconclusive or not applicable in my case.
    Track only STi: I have a Walbro 255 in-tank pump feeding ID 1000's. I have opened up the fuel supply where it's all 5/16" ID or better and AN-6 fittings and lines. I run Boomba manifold and rails. Aeromotive adjustable and variable fuel pressure regulator. No dampers. My initial fuel pressure is 37 PSI. With this setup I've made reliable 376 AWD HP on pump gas. I'm in EFI's dyno database.
    I would ditch the stock metal fuel lines before I'd be worrying about the dampers if you're doing mods to make decent power.
    Glyn

Post Thanks / Like
    After hunting around a bit and looking at the diagrams for Subaru parts dealers (parts.subaru.com), it looks like the 2002-2004 WRX only has a damper on the fuel return line. Others have them on both, or have one in the gas tank in line with the fuel pump.