Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering rack mount

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Steering rack mount

Hi guys installing the steering rack, the factory mount with the metal bracket that supports the bottom of the rack is in direct metal to the rack contact, and does not line up with the top strap. My wife says, "it's like bone on bone, you can't have that"
    Here is my idea of a saddle mount with the bushings in place.
    image.jpg old bracket
    image.jpg new bracket on the job

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    Hi guys installing the steering rack, the factory mount with the metal bracket that supports the bottom of the rack is in direct metal to the rack contact, and does not line up with the top strap. My wife says, "it's like bone on bone, you can't have that"
    Here is my idea of a saddle mount with the bushings in place.
    image.jpg old bracket
    image.jpg new bracket on the job
    DMC
    Good Job, That is definitely an improvement.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys installing the steering rack, the factory mount with the metal bracket that supports the bottom of the rack is in direct metal to the rack contact, and does not line up with the top strap. My wife says, "it's like bone on bone
    So not sure what you were trying to accomplish as the FFR bracket is not bone on bone. Here is a picture from the R car at SEMA, as there is space between bracket and rack if you space it right

WP_20141105_004.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys installing the steering rack, the factory mount with the metal bracket that supports the bottom of the rack is in direct metal to the rack contact, and does not line up with the top strap. My wife says, "it's like bone on bone
    So not sure what you were trying to accomplish as the FFR bracket is not bone on bone. Here is a picture from the R car at SEMA, as there is space between bracket and rack if you space it right

WP_20141105_004.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was very close to bone on bone. I ended up making an aluminum piece instead.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Mine was very close to bone on bone. I ended up making an aluminum piece instead.
    Mine was also, but seems FFR has a new bracket which was on the R car and I got one to try, the bracket should not be touching when bolted up, you may have to space but it does work with the new bracket.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I was confused on this as well when I bolted it up. The saddle on that little bracket is definitely touching the rack when bolted up. Are you saying there is a new bracket that leaves a small gap? If it leaves a gap, then what is its purpose? I swapped out my rubber bushings for poly, which helped a bit, but still touching.

Post Thanks / Like
    image.jpgThe bracket I am holding supports the rack, and the rubber bushing is free to move under the rack when the two bolts are tight. There is about 3/16" between the rubber and the mount, the saddle I welded in place is 1/8" thick and spaced up off the frame 3/32". This supports the rack 360 degrees in the rubber bushing.
    Last edited by DMC7492; 11-10-2014 at 01:18 PM.