FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Getting to 5x114.3

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting to 5x114.3

If you are using WRX hubs, you have 5x100. Much smaller selection of wheels in 5x100.

I wanted to see if my understanding is correct in what it would take to switch from 5x100 to 5x114.3.

As I understand it, the main way is to swap out the hubs and knuckles, front and rear, to the STI version. But I believe I read somewhere that the REAR WRX knuckle doesn't have to be swapped and that you can just use the hub itself with the WRX knuckle, but that it might require the STI-spec bearing. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I also read that the spline count in the rear hub is different, so that means different rear axle shafts right? I believe the FFR supplied axle shafts are custom length so you'd have to get something custom made to work right?

In the front, I believe you have to use the knuckles and the hubs, but based on what I've seen here, the hubs will work with the WRX LCAs just fine, and the FFR upper brackets that bolt to the top of the knuckle can be modified to fit (Sponaugle did this, I believe). But the remaining question is: Can you bolt the 4-pot front brakes to the STI knuckles?

Last question is: Why does no one make a custom hub (just the hub) that matches all the dimensions of the WRX hubs, fits the WRX bearings and knuckles, but has a larger flange with a 114.3mm pattern?

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if The Driveshaft Shop will part the hub out of this kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try buying some 5x100 to 5x114 lug adapters and choosing a tire with a larger negative offset:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-WHEEL-ADAP...328eef&vxp=mtr

I'm not sure if there's an option out there for rear spindles that has a 5x114 pattern AND will fit wrx axles. I was originally going to use 02 JDM sti (same as 04 USDM sti) rear spindles (27 spline) but discovered they wouldn't work with the 02 wrx axles (24 spline) - the axles were too small of a diameter. I ended up having to use the 02 rear spindles with the 24 spline hub.

If you really want 5x114, a combination that should work is sti rear spindles, sti rear axles (same length as FFR), and sti transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    It all comes down to whether or not you want ABS. If you want ABS it is a bit tricky as using the 5x114 hub and bearing (need to be used together) will result in a spacing for the wheel speed tone ring that is outside of the sight of the sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turn In Concepts View Post
    It all comes down to whether or not you want ABS. If you want ABS it is a bit tricky as using the 5x114 hub and bearing (need to be used together) will result in a spacing for the wheel speed tone ring that is outside of the sight of the sensor.
    Yep.. And having the ABS tone rings working is key to being able to install a Racelogic traction control system. I am using 5x114 hubs, but that is because my donor car was an 06 STI so I am running all of the STI gear. If you decided to run real STI 5x114 rear hubs, the axle diameter is larger so the custom axles provided by FFR don't work. Kurk818 has successfully used the stock STI front axles, however they are about 3/8" longer. You can adjust that out with the rear suspension.

Jeff

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys - it really seems the only feasible way to do this would be to start with an STI donor. Otherwise it just wouldn't be worth the expense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really. I have no donor. Found STi rear assemblies and a STi tranny from a guy an hour away. They're out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    5x100 and 5x114.3 hubs and bearings are completely different designs and are not interchangeable.

Subaru 4pot/2pot breaks will mount to 5x114.3 hubs. But will not work with the larger 5x114.3 brembo rotors. There are a couple places thet make custom rotors for this purpose though.

The newer ffr brackets can be easily modified to work with the larger 5x114 knuckles.

5x100 axles will not work with 5x114 hubs. If you have a 5sp transmission you will have to get custom axles. DSS will make them for you for a few hundred dollars.

If you using a 6speed you can just use the front axles.

And if you are going to race it, most racing orgs forbid traction control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sponaugle View Post
    Yep.. And having the ABS tone rings working is key to being able to install a Racelogic traction control system. I am using 5x114 hubs, but that is because my donor car was an 06 STI so I am running all of the STI gear. If you decided to run real STI 5x114 rear hubs, the axle diameter is larger so the custom axles provided by FFR don't work. Kurk818 has successfully used the stock STI front axles, however they are about 3/8" longer. You can adjust that out with the rear suspension.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

Are you simply adjusting the parallel links longer to accomplish the 3/8" rear adjustment? I have a 2004.5 STi with the 5x114.3 conversion hubs and Whiteline rear links. Are you just increasing the track width at expense of tire width to fit in wheel wells?

Curious.

Cheers,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by markus View Post
    Hi Jeff,

Are you simply adjusting the parallel links longer to accomplish the 3/8" rear adjustment? I have a 2004.5 STi with the 5x114.3 conversion hubs and Whiteline rear links. Are you just increasing the track width at expense of tire width to fit in wheel wells?

Curious.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

I have been looking in to this as well and what I have come up with yes you extend the parallel links 3/8 inch and then you off set by taking 3/8in or 9.5mm from the offset of the wheel. This may also get rid of the need of the 10mm spacer that most people are using on there wheel and tire set ups.

Louis