Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: donor

Post Thanks / Like

donor

Well i finally did it, i bought a donor for $3200 from a guy a few hours away. I went and picked the car up, it is a 2002 wrx with only 85k on it. The paint is bad on the car but I don't care since I won't be using it anyways. I have a few questions, I bought this car with bad head gaskets and I am going to replace them before i order a kit so i can get some miles on it. Does anyone know the stock bore size of a EJ205 block? is it 93mm? I am also doing head studs at the same time just to make sure I don't have to do it again till maybe I pull the motor for the kit. Here is a picture I got of the car on the trailer, I am sure when I part it out i can make my money back and then some. So my only real question at this point, does anyone know the stock bore size of a EJ205 engine?
    photo.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    92mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure the heads & block are both flat, also, before just tossing a new gasket in place.

While the heads are off, clean up around the spark plug hole & inspect for cracks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been driving my donor around for a few days now and i get a misfire from 3k rpm to about 4k. Before and after that it runs flawlessly, so i am wondering what should i data log to see what causes the issue? any assistance would be greatly helpful from anyone. I am thinking of cleaning the MAF and resetting the ecu to see if that changes anything. I would think if it was a coil or plug it would happen at all RPM. I do know i have leaking head gaskets so those will be getting replaced soon along with head studs. I will also do a timing belt and plugs at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Swap the plugs just to officially rule them out. Maybe check over vacuum lines and intake connections, especially anything post-MAF.

Post Thanks / Like
    So i am about to order some head studs and MLS gaskets for my car. I just want to know some of the opinions out there. I am loosing coolant as i drive it with no visible leak outside. I can smell coolant at times burning. Would you lean to head gaskets going bad? I will have the heads machined and ensure everything is okay if i have to pull them. I will also do plugs and other little things while I am in there. I have taken off the oil fill cap and have some blow by going on also. I have also been tossing around the idea of just getting a EJ25 block and building it then putting it in with my heads with combustion chamber matched. If i did the swap i could drive it for like 6 months to work out all the bugs so that would be a plus. What would be your opinion on what to do. my current motor is putting down 330whp at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't you need to rebore the cylinders if you switch to head studs?