Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Took the Plunge - Coupe Ordered!

Post Thanks / Like

Took the Plunge - Coupe Ordered!

I pulled the trigger on the kit this evening, after a LOT of debate with family, friends, and even some of y'all. The $2,500 off options was too good to pass up!

Started out with the base kit, will be getting an 87-93 donor. I am on a budget, and will be attempting the sub-$30k build. My current budget sits at $27k, so we'll see about that...

Options (Thanks Garry Bopp for your advice):
    -IRS, Standard Axle Width
    -Rear Brake Kit with 11.65" Rotors, etc.
    -Optional Tubular Front LCAs
    Will end up paying $700 for these options...not bad IMO

Vision:
    -Rebuilt 302 EFI, goal of 350 hp
    -Power Steering
    -Power Brakes
    -5 lug wheels all around
    -Removable Roof (maybe a sunroof)
    -Remote Capability (Start/Stop, locking, etc.)
    -A/C and Heat
    -DIY paint
    -A heck of a good experience with my dad, brothers, and family.
    -Build Thread, and perhaps even a time-lapse from start to finish!

I will be starting a job in February where I will be working 21 days on and then I'll have 21 days off, so I plan on getting this thing done ASAP. Some of the frills will probably be later, finishing the basic Coupe quickly is my primary goal. I will be hopefully getting the kit in January, that is when I have scheduled to get this all going.We also need to completely overhaul the garage before it comes.

Thanks in advance for your patience and help! This forum was a huge reason I felt comfortable in undertaking this, and I look forward to making a great deal of friends here.

Bring on the straitjacket!

-Mike

P.S. Thanks to Garry Bopp, Austexican, Andrago94, Goldwing, and everyone else who has already been so welcoming to me so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the purchase!!! If you can, try to schedule it to arrive early. I worked with FFR to have it delivered when I would have a month off. They missed their deadline and it was delayed a month. By the time I got it I was back to work full time. Having that month off and looking at the empty garage was torture! Looking forward to seeing your build!

jeff

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Mike! Looking forward to following your build.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Good luck with the build and keep us posted.

Marc
    It's just A Matter Of Time

Marc

FFR Coupe 434, 347ci, Power Brakes, SAI Mod, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on pulling the trigger. A sub 30K coupe will be very hard to accomplish from my way of looking at things even with the DIY paint. Let the journey begin....
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Finding a good donor will be key as will doing your own bodywork but it can absolutely be done. I'm currently at $23,00 and going to paint after doing my own bodywork. I hope to be at your budget when complete

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats and welcome to the group! Its a very exciting time and you will remember this moment for the rest of your life!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13
    Build thread: HERE

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. I look forward to your build. Welcome to the family!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the support, Jeff! You got me worried there a little, so I actually emailed them today. They said it would be done by the 10th for sure, they don't have too much lead time on these. They might have told you the same thing though I really can't do anything with it before then anyway since the garage needs to be emptied, so there's not too much worry about a delay. Plus, I will need to clean and prep donor parts still!

Quote Originally Posted by CobraKai View Post
    Congrats on the purchase!!! If you can, try to schedule it to arrive early. I worked with FFR to have it delivered when I would have a month off. They missed their deadline and it was delayed a month. By the time I got it I was back to work full time. Having that month off and looking at the empty garage was torture! Looking forward to seeing your build!

jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timb View Post
    Finding a good donor will be key as will doing your own bodywork but it can absolutely be done. I'm currently at $23,00 and going to paint after doing my own bodywork. I hope to be at your budget when complete
    Let me tell you, the donor search has been rough so far. I've been finding a lot around $3k-$4k, but I'm still waiting to see if I can find my unicorn. I've been trying to keep my budget robust for more of a fudge factor, but who knows. I've actually been through your own build for some inspiration, and it's definitely been a great help already. I just hope I can get as many family helpers as you. Thanks Timb!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    congrats and welcome to the group! Its a very exciting time and you will remember this moment for the rest of your life!
    Let's just hope it's a POSITIVE memory! Thanks for the support, too. I've been following Coupey's build to get ideas, so thank you for posting all of your work.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Raise your right hand and say after me,

"I (State your name), do swear/affirm, that upon acceptance of this "Revered Coupe Jacket", will willingly subject myself to all manner of frustration and abrasion that my FFR Type 65 will provide. I further pledge that any and all fellow Coupe builders will have free reign in using the cash available in my wallet as they see fit to improve my build plan. I will not look down upon our fellow Roadster builders, but rather take pity on those not talented enough to build a race car with a roof, So Help Me God!"

It is my pleasure to present you with the "Revered Coupe Jacket", Here's your sign!!

“If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mjazzka View Post
    Let me tell you, the donor search has been rough so far. I've been finding a lot around $3k-$4k, but I'm still waiting to see if I can find my unicorn. I've been trying to keep my budget robust for more of a fudge factor, but who knows. I've actually been through your own build for some inspiration, and it's definitely been a great help already. I just hope I can get as many family helpers as you. Thanks Timb!
    Don't give up hope you can always expand your search to the newer models like I did. I found mine on Auto trader. It was owned by a buy here pay here lot and the owner had decided to run it into a wall when they heard the repo guy was coming. I paid $1000 for it. http://www.ffcars.com/forums/43-off-...ence-ones.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would suggest to not make finishing in the shortest time a top priority. Make time to enjoy the building experience and you will have plenty of time to drive it after you have the adventure of the build. Sometime the trip is as important as the destination.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I went the donor route too. Look for an optioned car so you can put all the goodies on Craigslist etc. I almost sold in parts for what I bought the car for, which gave me the engine, tranny, rear axle and brakes for practically nothing.
    Of course hanging out here is going to increase your price tag, whether you think you are strong you must fall prey to the upgrades and goodies shown here on a regular bases.
    My plan was exactly like yours.....

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Mike,
    You won't regret the decision. The 50/50 is a real teaser, thats what hooked me. Stay in touch with FFR regarding an earlier delivery slot, I got mine 3 weeks early due to a cancellation. I took delivery of complete kit #624 last December and completed it on 9/11/2014. I originally budgeted $35K and when the smoke cleared I was in it for $38K. I am very pleased with the results. These cars can be completed fairly quickly, however take that additional time to the details and you will be happy with the outcome. The forums are a wealth of information from the guys that have been there. Visit a builder if you can.
    Don't forget the clecos.

Bill
    Coupe#624
    Picked up 12/7/13
    Completed 9/11/2013
    1500 miles of fun so far.
    302 H.O., 3 link, TKO 500/mid shift, Halibrands, RT mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Hankl!

"I, mjazzka, do swear/affirm, that upon acceptance of this "Revered Coupe Jacket", will willingly subject myself to all manner of frustration and abrasion that my FFR Type 65 will provide. I further pledge that any and all fellow Coupe builders will have free reign in using the cash available in my wallet as they see fit to improve my build plan. I will not look down upon our fellow Roadster builders, but rather take pity on those not talented enough to build a race car with a roof, So Help Me God!"

I hadn't noticed the "free reign in using the cash in my wallet" line before. Not good. After looking at so many of the threads on here, spending money is probably the one shared skill that we are all masters at!

Quote Originally Posted by Hankl View Post
    Raise your right hand and say after me,

"I (State your name), do swear/affirm, that upon acceptance of this "Revered Coupe Jacket", will willingly subject myself to all manner of frustration and abrasion that my FFR Type 65 will provide. I further pledge that any and all fellow Coupe builders will have free reign in using the cash available in my wallet as they see fit to improve my build plan. I will not look down upon our fellow Roadster builders, but rather take pity on those not talented enough to build a race car with a roof, So Help Me God!"

It is my pleasure to present you with the "Revered Coupe Jacket", Here's your sign!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had mine on the road / street legal for around $28,000 no bodywork. It is possible. Find the local Mustang drag race crowd and by parts from them. This is where I got most of my parts: http://forums.stlmustangs.com/index.php?showforum=9
    Mike......FFR Coupe #340, 2003 LS1 350 RWHP, TKO 500, QT BH, Champ 10 QT pan, 5 Lug and AC, Cobra Disc, SAI mod, Nitto NT-01 275/315 ..Licensed for 28k..Just over 30k w/race tires and many mods
    http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/mmarshall01/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/stlmarshall
    2011, 2012, and 2013 St Louis region XP Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    You may not want to try to find a single car for a donor.It helps that you are going IRS but to get a 302 it has to be 95 or older and really 93 and older is better. How many parts do you want from 95 or older on your coupe? Also those years had 4 lugs so a lot of the suspension stuff isn't useable. Search for a salvage yard that will do a pallet for you so you can get parts from different cars but still in a one shot seal. I agree, get hooked into the local Mustang crowd, be cause they are constantly upgrading and selling parts. Good luck.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try Prestige Mustang outside of Atlanta. They can do a mixed pallet for you. I got my 89 stuff from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I'll especially remember to get the clecos, I don't think it's an FFR build until you can show how many clecos you can fit in one picture.

I'll be checking out the donor pallets too. For some reason I don't get any emails back about craigslist cars, ever. Even checked the junk folder.

I talked to a guy at a place out in California to get an idea of things, and he was very helpful in knowing everything I needed. We'll see about cost, and I'll check out some other places too.

One thing that is great with the donor pallet is that I can just get my IRS specific stuff and the 5-lugs immediately. I also talked to Garry Bopp about having a 351 stroker a couple weeks back, and that might be back on the table with a donor pallet.

P.S. I got a blue tube in the mail with a Coupe poster and a signed letter from Dave Smith, saying thanks for my order of the digital build manual. I don't know many company Presidents and CEOs that would send a signed letter for a $10 online pdf. FFR has really been a class act so far.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.