BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear End Help and Guidance dor Jumping Ahead

Post Thanks / Like

Rear End Help and Guidance dor Jumping Ahead

Hi All. It's been awhile since I've posted, but #8375 is home and being worked on. I have gotten the front suspension and brakes installed (as well as the "F" panels mounted - getting these first couple sheets of metal on was fun). So...per the assembly manual my next step is to mount the rear end. My quandary is that I had no idea there would be a long lead time to obtaining one! I spoke with Mike Forte, who seems great but let me know it would be a month and a half before I could get one from him. Not wanting to wait that long to move forward I spent time searching elsewhere but so far have come up empty. So...my questions for you more experienced guys:

1) Any guidance on where I might get a ready-to-install 8.8 3.55 rear end, in less time than 1.5 months?

2) If the answer to #1 is no, any guidance on next best steps I can take to continue to make progress while waiting for my axle? Being a newbie I am concerned about possibly doing work that will end up interfering with future steps. I did consider skipping forward to the firewall metal, but am at a little stall there knowing that I want to install heat/AC but have not yet decided upon the product I'll use but do know that it'll be better to cut for that before mounting the metal. <sigh>

I've just begun, really just started to get momentum, and am now hitting a little frustration with these decisions and delay. Any words of wisdom out there??

Thanks!
    Shannon

Post Thanks / Like
    Shannon,
    Oldguy668 post Major Items For Sale and has a fox width rear end for sale at the moment, PM him and see if its what you need?
    Last edited by xatudor; 10-19-2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added info

Post Thanks / Like
    No help finding a rear axle. The gears aren't particularly hard to change if you find something other than a 3.55. But for 1-1/2 months, I'd probably wait for one you can drop in. Agree it makes sense to wait for that to be installed before you can do fuel lines, brake lines, fuel, tank, get serious about sheet metal, etc. The firewall can be mounted temporarily with cleco's or sheet metal screws. But sounds like you need to sort out your heat/AC situation. Who knows, more potential lead time issues. Lots of other things you could be working. Assume you have the steering rack installed with your front suspension? You could be working on the driver's side footbox, including the sheet metal on the front, steering column, pedal box, master cylinder(s), etc. You could also start on the dash. Vinyl wrap, installing and wiring up the instruments is a subassembly that could be made and set aside until needed. Don't know anything about how much space you have, or if you plan to, but tons of work to be done on the body as well cleaning up edges, etc.

At the speed I work, could chew up 1-1/2 months pretty easily.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although you can go w/ another ratio, I wouldn't change to more than a 327 or 331. Otherwise, a year from now you will be kicking yourself for being in too much of a rush. You could find a salvage axle housing and have someone local swap gears and rebuild the limited slip. Or do them your self although special tools are needed for the gear swap.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    xatudor --> Thanks for the tip. I will PM Oldguy668. I thought I had searched the classifieds here on the forum and found nothing...but maybe I was thinking of the other forum.

edwardb --> Whew! That's some of the experienced advice I was hoping for. I feel much better now. Thanks!

Shannon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As you're finding, the trick to maintaining good build progress is to be thinking about the next couple sub-projects you will be doing and making your decisions and purchasing your parts in advance so you are ready to go when you get to that point.
    You'll jump around a bit doing this, but you'll be working on multiple things in parallel.
    I typically found the actual wrenching part of the build to go fast, it was the research, decision making and buying that usually held me up. On more than one occasion, a sub-project was held up because I didn't have the nuts/bolts I needed.
    I kept a post-it pad at work and home so I could write thoughts and parts as I came upon them.
    There is always something else you can do while waiting for parts / decision / research.
    I'd also suggest not to rivet any more panels until you have completed mock-up. I removed and re-installed a lot of the aluminum panels during the build. Get a about 20 Clecos and a set of Cleco pliers.

also a tip: when you're working on something and it breaks or goes wrong (it will happen), don't get frustrated and keep working on it. WALK AWAY, take a break, come back later or the next day. Continuing to work on it can make it worse and/or more frustrating. Walking away will reduce your stress and allow you time to clear your head and possibly come back with a better solution. (I think we've all been there, done that )

Good luck with your build and have fun!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, MPTech. I appreciate your perspective. I am realizing all that you shared and I want to enjoy & not rush the build with my boys...but SO CANNOT WAIT to have it done and drive it!!!!