Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wookie Tank Prototype

Post Thanks / Like

Wookie Tank Prototype

Our new custom tank designed for talls. We still need to test it to make sure it works right but let me know what you guys think. Thanks to Boyd for the great welding.
    C3FBC1D1-A302-4867-A6E1-63C49EE4AE8C_zpssdwmqb3m.jpgA9891081-0CB2-4FF6-AE76-ACD8B8072D35_zps4pjgoyjj.jpgE627CF4F-050A-4706-B175-3D2A43D1A93C_zps91ghjjaz.jpg04CEEBD4-4F9B-4B28-88D3-1D638307297D_zpsvtmage2f.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks great! What's the capacity?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Looks great! What's the capacity?

I think around 6 gallons.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be a little worried about the air vent and not being able to fill fast, defiantly would not work if this was fuel cell, might work for the street, looks interesting though.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    I would be a little worried about the air vent and not being able to fill fast, defiantly would not work if this was fuel cell, might work for the street, looks interesting though.
    That was one of our concerns but we can't tell untill we try it. This will only be for street use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    That was one of our concerns but we can't tell untill we try it. This will only be for street use.
    You might think about getting rid of the mounting tabs and use straps and give the folks a little more flexibility in mounting, also you are loading one side of the tank and thus you add to the slosh effect, but maybe not an issue for the street (I assume no anti-slosh box in the tank).
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Neat! I have the regular Boyd tank which give me enough leg room. One thing to point out though: this won't help you at all without major surgery on the firewall. The standard Boyd tank gives you 2-3" extra legroom by bending/moving the firewall, however to reclaim the additional space with your tank, it looks like you'll need to split the firewall and weld in connecting pieces. What's your plan?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Neat! I have the regular Boyd tank which give me enough leg room. One thing to point out though: this won't help you at all without major surgery on the firewall. The standard Boyd tank gives you 2-3" extra legroom by bending/moving the firewall, however to reclaim the additional space with your tank, it looks like you'll need to split the firewall and weld in connecting pieces. What's your plan?
    That was our plan to cut and move the fire wall and move it as close as possible. This tank will give you 6-7 inches of leg room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    You might think about getting rid of the mounting tabs and use straps and give the folks a little more flexibility in mounting, also you are loading one side of the tank and thus you add to the slosh effect, but maybe not an issue for the street (I assume no anti-slosh box in the tank).
    It has two baffles in it which should cut down on slosh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Job Blitzkrieg. This is the same concept as FFR new tank but they are not going as this thin.
    I think there new tank is FFR is standard on the passenger side and Boyd style on the driver side.
    My son and I are both 6+feet and 250+ weight. We could us the thin side of your tank on both sides.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man, that looks great for us tall folk. Would love to check out your build when it's ready!

Post Thanks / Like
    Might have been easier to just remove the l/h side of the tank and run the filler on the passenger side. It doesn't look like that end of the tank could hold more than a gallon, and filling and venting could be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D Clary View Post
    Might have been easier to just remove the l/h side of the tank and run the filler on the passenger side. It doesn't look like that end of the tank could hold more than a gallon, and filling and venting could be an issue.
    Might be fill slow, might not vent right but we just put it in and it give the most leg room for the driver you could get out of cockpit. I have a 32" inseam and when I sit all the way back and push in the clutch my leg is almost flat. That is with Corbeau Forza wides, with lower seats maybe more. FAF11429-F676-42D7-A8E8-C44FC9BF713D_zpsp15l59hd.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EricScottZehnder View Post
    Oh man, that looks great for us tall folk. Would love to check out your build when it's ready!
    Come on out. Might wait till we get seat mounted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to me like that seat is WAY too much upright. If you use the Wilwood pedalbox and the regular boyds tank I can't see moving the seat anymore erect will be at all comfortable more erect. Plus 6 gallons is really cutting close. One red flag on a 35 minute session and you may run out if not definitely slosh. As far as cutting the firewall............

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Seems to me like that seat is WAY too much upright. If you use the Wilwood pedalbox and the regular boyds tank I can't see moving the seat anymore erect will be at all comfortable more erect. Plus 6 gallons is really cutting close. One red flag on a 35 minute session and you may run out if not definitely slosh. As far as cutting the firewall............
    We are not set on the seat. But this car will most likley never touch the track. Might auto cross but most likely not. This is an around town car that we want confortable to drive. If I was going to be racing or auto crossing I would build a track only 818r on top of my 818s because they are priced good and fun to build.