Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote Coupe Retrofit.

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Coupe Retrofit.

Hi guys
    It has been hectic here in PA.
    The Traveling has been non stop. In between that Bren and I have trying to knock off a few jobs in the shop.
    One of them was to Retro Chris A's coupe to a new coyote engine.
    A little history This particular coupe had a black cloud over it when it came to engines.

Engine 1
    pro built 400 hp 351 fast EZ. engine died within 200 miles cracked cyl. wall. The builder warrantied the engine ( not labor ). Great service
    just a bad core no way to know

Engine 2
    the replacement engine which consisted of a new block and reused all the other components
    was in the car for 90 miles and quit. engine was again warrantied. found a piece of debris inside the oil pump which locked up the pump and sheared the dizzy gear roll pin. particle was bigger than the pickup screen so it must have been in there before assembly. engine warrantied but not labor had it back in 24 hrs.
    Engine worked great EFI not so great.
    about 6 thousand miles later after numerous dyno sessions we pulled the EFI in favor of a carb. ( later found the cam not compatible with EFI ) Wow now we were making power. gained 25 hp at the tire and upped the mpg by 30% now it was getting fun.

Engine 2 fix
    as Chris started open tracking the coupe oiling issues ensued. we decided to change out the oil pan to a road race pan. upon inspection while pan was off noticed cam gear severely worn. paper thin gear teeth. Called engine manufacturer and they offered a replacement cam at no cost. I thought that was very generous 3 years after the initial sale knowing we were running it hard.
    We decided to just install a ford letter cam and lifters. even though very different from the previous cam the coupe made the same power.
    the engine ran another 6 thousand miles threw many open track events, many rain storms and some carb issues.
    Finally at a open track event the engine started to consume a qt of oil per session.
    we knew it was terminal. Upon tear down we found all the cyl walls to be scored.
    I believe this happened 2 weeks prior to the event as Chris was caught in a all day rain on the highway with a broken upper wheel well splash panel he washed alot of water down the engine washing the rings out.

We then purchased a used almost new short block. Chris and Bren picked it up 20 hr roundtrip drive away.
    brought it home and the cyl. walls were also scored. called the seller and came up with a fair deal. ( but decided not to use it.)

At this time we discussed the coyote but decided it was to costly.
    Lessons learned when something breaks fix it right away.

Engine 3
    We had a 377 w sitting in the corner a proven engine from a previous project
    we decided to re-ring & bearing the short block and add his top end.
    this way all brackets and hardware could be reused. The new engine made great power even with a cam and heads that were obviously way to small.
    30 more HP at the tire than the previous combo

That combo only lasted 6 days. ( Crank broke )
    Now at this point You may think to yourself what is Chris doing, he must be hard on the equipment.
    Yes he is But this last engine I told him to treat it like he stole it. You cant break this one.
    I was wrong.
    During the autopsy we found the engine was built perfect. all was as it should be but we never magna fluxed the crank during the rebuild. ( We should have ) I believe we would have found a crack in the crank. The entire short block was toast.

Engine 4
    Well After all that we decided it was time to get serious about a engine.
    We needed a factory built engine.

In comes the 2013 mustang coyote and Harness.
    The entire change over took a couple weeks. but it fits like a glove. We could not be happier with this decision. It runs amazing, just awsome.
    Now only time will tell how it will last but I have my hopes up. We have never had this much power in this car before.
    Also it has never been easier to drive. So here are a couple of pics of what we did.
    Enjoy

CLICK ON PHOTO FOR MORE PICS

weight is with 200 lb. driver

Report this image
    Last edited by Mark Dougherty; 10-23-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    List of things to do

mod driver foot box
    mod pass foot box (not necessary if engine moved forward.)
    Moved the firewall forward to be able to install computer in it ( clean )
    extend drive shaft 2 1/2 inches because of engine forward
    raised trans mount 1 1/4
    extend trans mount ( only needed for relocated engine )
    use std forward shifter location on tko trans
    Energy suspension motor mounts swapped the bottom plates to relocate engine forward
    also added 4 large 2 1/2 dia. washers per side to raise pan above rails
    slotted chassis mounts to further move engine forward. total of 2.5 inches
    used champ kit car 5.0 oil pan and pickup. ( great service guys TY )
    MC Leod Hyd. throw out bearing ( because our cable was melted and the pedal effort was poor)
    Tremic cast Alum. bell housing no need for a clutch fork or std bearing
    used fortes supplied 26 spline disc and pressure plate ( junk ) smoked the clutch in 10 minutes now getting a double disc. from Hanlon
    FFR shortie coyote headers
    FFR J-pipes modified to fit the Coupe side pipes.
    2013 coyote engine and Ford racing Harness from American muscle.
    Ford racing speed box speedometer calibration tool
    Coyote starter
    Ford Racing Alt. kit
    Cadillac CTSV oil filter
    1/4 brass fittings to adapt oil PSI unit
    various hose lengths to adapt cooling ports
    ( already had Fast Freddies power steering )
    will work out Ac pump this winter
    In line hose adapter for water temp gauge sending unit
    moroso coyote expansion tank
    cut up the Ford supplied air intake tube to fit. then used FFR air cleaner
    Already have a roadster radiator in the coupe 30% larger then the coupes
    Changed the entire fuel system to a system my son Bren put together
    plug and play. pump, regulator, hoses, all fittings

I think this is the most of it.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Cool project Mark. Fingers crossed, no more engine issues for this poor Coupe.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Sounds like you guys have been busy Mark.

So now that you have re powered the Coupe with what sounds like a very stout package does Chris plan to take it out to the track in the spring?

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris will be at NJMP in a week or 2
    as long as there is no snow.
    Chris's spec e-30 no longer exists.
    Thanks to the 944 spec guy that took him out at Atlanta.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dougherty View Post
    Chris will be at NJMP in a week or 2
    as long as there is no snow.
    Chris's spec e-30 no longer exists.
    Thanks to the 944 spec guy that took him out at Atlanta.
    Oh wow that's too bad about his e-30. Yeah it's getting cold, up here in the north east. I wanted to do the last NASA event too, but I think I am going to skip it. I'm outa tires and it's hard to explain to the fam that I will be spending the 3 day weekend at the track then going to Las Vegas. I can't wait till next year when I have a feeling we will have one of each of factory fives cars in our pit.

Please keep us up to date on how the setup works.

Thanks

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, I purchased a coyote/tko 600 for my coupe per your recommendation last spring. I haven't yet gotten around to the installation. Just curious as to your reasoning for moving the engine/tranny forward. Is it due to the footbox modifications required or are there other advantages as well. Looks like I'll need to get you out to Reno for some help. Thanks.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That car is perfect for thge coyote motor!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    The reasons we moved the engine forward

1)
    shifter relocation.
    on the previous setup we had used the midshift shifter on a tko.
    so without redoing anything inside the coupe we wanted to reuse the same shifter hole.

2)
    Oben AC unit The Richard Oben AC unit is larger than the FFR unit and requires the firewall to be modified.
    you have to cut a large hole and add a box on it ( not supplied with the unit )
    so we decided that by moving the firewall forward the engine bay is much cleaner.

3)
    The coyote harness only reaches a few inches behind the engine so to make a clean install ( computer mounted inside the firewall )
    we had to move the engine forward. This made room for the computer and the plugs between the engine and firewall. we found that by moving the shifter back to the rear of the trans in the forward setting
    it would all work together.

4)
    Just to be clear the coupe had more grip to the rear tires with the old engine in the standard location.
    I know this engine makes more power than any of the old setups and we have not even had it tuned yet.
    (not sure why we would need to though it runs perfect like a OEM engine should )
    We have done a few coyote builds now and believe this to be the best choice in a FFR.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok guys
    I have been asked by a few guys exactly the parts list and the prices for the coyote changeover.
    so here is a rundown of the cost of the parts we used.

50189.......Ford Racing 5.0 engine .................................................. ..6,200
    50196.......Ford Racing control pack.............................................. .....1,500
    50139.......Ford Racing speedometer re calibration tool..........................145
    50440.......Ford Racing tremic Bell housing..........................................4 10
    50451.......Bell housing install kit............................................... ........30
    50341.......Ford Racing boss mustang Alt.............................................28 9
    101633.....Ford Racing high torque mini starter....................................290
    ..............Clutch and pressure plate need a better brand......................400
    cp4700.....Champ oil pan............................................... ...................392
    4700sb.....Champ oil pickup............................................ ..................81
    673-1400-30 MC Leod hyd throwout bearing.........................................37 1
    105-322...summit #4 braided hose autometer......................................64
    260-6089..wilwood hyd master cyl............................................... ......75
    63783.......Moroso coolant tank.............................................. ...........150
    ctr-81-236 canton coolant tank cap summit..........................................55
    122-4-1127 Energy suspension engine mounts......................................150
    attic 012....Factory Five coyote shorty headers.....................................300
    15442.......Factory Five j-pipes must be re-welded to fit exhaust..............200
    397172......auto zone molded rad hose to fit to coolant tank....................13
    ...............8 large washers to shim engine up pan clearance....................8
    ...............Fuel system built by bren all high end...................................900
    ns-2050.....water temp sending unit hose adapter..................................40
    ...............5/8 heater hose 6 ft................................................ ...........20
    ...............various 1/4 brass fittings (oil sending unit) lowes....................60
    ...............hose clamps............................................ .........................10
    ...............CTSV oil filter............................................ .......................10
    This is all I can think of for now
    Man I hate putting the actual numbers down
    OUCH.
    I hope this helps the next guy, later
    Mark D
    Last edited by Mark Dougherty; 10-24-2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: clean up columns
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    $12,163 actually gets you quite a lot considering the cost of a 302 or 351 based engine.

Hank

“If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.