Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote Coupe Retrofit.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Coupe Retrofit.

Hi guys
    It has been hectic here in PA.
    The Traveling has been non stop. In between that Bren and I have trying to knock off a few jobs in the shop.
    One of them was to Retro Chris A's coupe to a new coyote engine.
    A little history This particular coupe had a black cloud over it when it came to engines.

Engine 1
    pro built 400 hp 351 fast EZ. engine died within 200 miles cracked cyl. wall. The builder warrantied the engine ( not labor ). Great service
    just a bad core no way to know

Engine 2
    the replacement engine which consisted of a new block and reused all the other components
    was in the car for 90 miles and quit. engine was again warrantied. found a piece of debris inside the oil pump which locked up the pump and sheared the dizzy gear roll pin. particle was bigger than the pickup screen so it must have been in there before assembly. engine warrantied but not labor had it back in 24 hrs.
    Engine worked great EFI not so great.
    about 6 thousand miles later after numerous dyno sessions we pulled the EFI in favor of a carb. ( later found the cam not compatible with EFI ) Wow now we were making power. gained 25 hp at the tire and upped the mpg by 30% now it was getting fun.

Engine 2 fix
    as Chris started open tracking the coupe oiling issues ensued. we decided to change out the oil pan to a road race pan. upon inspection while pan was off noticed cam gear severely worn. paper thin gear teeth. Called engine manufacturer and they offered a replacement cam at no cost. I thought that was very generous 3 years after the initial sale knowing we were running it hard.
    We decided to just install a ford letter cam and lifters. even though very different from the previous cam the coupe made the same power.
    the engine ran another 6 thousand miles threw many open track events, many rain storms and some carb issues.
    Finally at a open track event the engine started to consume a qt of oil per session.
    we knew it was terminal. Upon tear down we found all the cyl walls to be scored.
    I believe this happened 2 weeks prior to the event as Chris was caught in a all day rain on the highway with a broken upper wheel well splash panel he washed alot of water down the engine washing the rings out.

We then purchased a used almost new short block. Chris and Bren picked it up 20 hr roundtrip drive away.
    brought it home and the cyl. walls were also scored. called the seller and came up with a fair deal. ( but decided not to use it.)

At this time we discussed the coyote but decided it was to costly.
    Lessons learned when something breaks fix it right away.

Engine 3
    We had a 377 w sitting in the corner a proven engine from a previous project
    we decided to re-ring & bearing the short block and add his top end.
    this way all brackets and hardware could be reused. The new engine made great power even with a cam and heads that were obviously way to small.
    30 more HP at the tire than the previous combo

That combo only lasted 6 days. ( Crank broke )
    Now at this point You may think to yourself what is Chris doing, he must be hard on the equipment.
    Yes he is But this last engine I told him to treat it like he stole it. You cant break this one.
    I was wrong.
    During the autopsy we found the engine was built perfect. all was as it should be but we never magna fluxed the crank during the rebuild. ( We should have ) I believe we would have found a crack in the crank. The entire short block was toast.

Engine 4
    Well After all that we decided it was time to get serious about a engine.
    We needed a factory built engine.

In comes the 2013 mustang coyote and Harness.
    The entire change over took a couple weeks. but it fits like a glove. We could not be happier with this decision. It runs amazing, just awsome.
    Now only time will tell how it will last but I have my hopes up. We have never had this much power in this car before.
    Also it has never been easier to drive. So here are a couple of pics of what we did.
    Enjoy

CLICK ON PHOTO FOR MORE PICS

weight is with 200 lb. driver

Report this image
    Last edited by Mark Dougherty; 10-23-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624