BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MAF sensor options?

Post Thanks / Like

MAF sensor options?

My donor didn't come with the airbox or MAF sensor.
    I bought the Cobb air intake, and a silicone turbo inlet, but what are my options other than the stock Subaru MAF sensor for $150 - $200.
    I'm also planning to buy the Cobb Accessport V3 for diagnostics and tuning (in case that fact opens up my options a bit).
    Any other options out there that I should be looking at for the MAF?
    .....learning lots about Subaru, but still new to this so would appreciate some advice.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd go to a pick-a-part yard and pull an MAF sensor for a couple bucks. I haven't checked, but i bet just about every Impreza uses the same one.

Edit: I just checked a few Impreza models and they use the same MAF sensor. I think you have to be careful about the year, but I bet you could pull one from just about any Subaru of a similar age to your donor. Or you could keep an eye on the NASIOC and other WRX forum classifieds. I sure wouldn't pay the ridiculous price new ones command.
    Last edited by Buzz Skyline; 11-01-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Buzz.
    So far I've been rebuilding and replacing everything from the oil pump, water pump, engine internals, etc. and don't want to compromise reliability with an old uncertain part.
    I can see that a low mileage one would probably be OK.
    Are they pretty reliable over time? I figured that they are a pretty sensitive device and susceptible to to damage over time.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get one from RockAuto.com for $100.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, checked there... probably get the Denso one if this is the best option.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not use a junk yard MAF sensor. The MAF sensor is the single most important sensor on the engine (if you are not running speed density). It is the single sensor that determines the fueling, load, and thus timing for the engine. If you are willing to use a junk yard sensor, just make sure you have that engine stand ready for the engine rebuild.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree Jeff. I started this thread wondering if there were other options. Someone mentioned running open loop.....or using a wideband A/F sensor but I'm not familiar with those options and I guess they are in addition to the stock MAF.
    No worries... I Ordered a Denso one.

Post Thanks / Like
    They're options to replace the O2 sensor(s) for the exhaust system.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, thanks for clarifying. I'm using stock O2.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're planning on getting a custom tune done on a dyno when you're up and running, I'd make the jump and get a wideband O2 sensor. They're not too expensive and they give you a lot of information about how your engine is running.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, based on all I have read, I was planning to get a tune at the dyno, but I'm not that knowledgeable on tunes and what to do. Apparently there is a really good Subaru Rally shop here near Vancouver (RocketRally).
    I was planning to buy a Cobb Accessport V3. Does that qualify as a custom tune or does it just use pre-defined tunes? Is it recommended to add the wideband O2 for the Cobb?
    I'm not thinking I'm going to do my own tunes, so once its set, I don't think I'll be playing with it myself, but I like the diagnostic and live data available on the Cobb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    I was planning to buy a Cobb Accessport V3. Does that qualify as a custom tune or does it just use pre-defined tunes? Is it recommended to add the wideband O2 for the Cobb?
    I'm not thinking I'm going to do my own tunes, so once its set, I don't think I'll be playing with it myself, but I like the diagnostic and live data available on the Cobb.
    I have a Cobb AP3; you can download OTS (off the shelf) maps for common configurations, or have a custom tune done at any Cobb shop; there's a list on their website. I will probably start with an OTS map (Stage 2+EBCS based on my motor mods). I may add a wideband O2 and go for a dyno tune eventually, but if the logs look good and I'm not greedy for moar power, I may stick with the OTS.