Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Subaru Legacy GT automatic 5EAT transmission

Post Thanks / Like

Subaru Legacy GT automatic 5EAT transmission

So here is my question can the 5EAT Transmission form a Legacy GT with a transmission code TG5C7CWCAA-X4 be used on a 818S?

Also how hard is it you convert either a 4EAT or 5EAT to 2wd? Because I have only seen one person do and
    I don't see anything on his thread on how did it. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-build)-Thread

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 4EAT has a solenoid driven clutch that engages the rear output. If you leave it unhooked, it won't turn the tail shaft (I think). Worst case is you have to run 12V to the solenoid. There's a good chance the 5EAT works the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    What auto trans did Aloha818 use??? He has a detailed thread using the automatic etc...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Aloha818 use
    The Problem his build thread is 22 pages long w/ 872 post in it. And I have not had the time to find in his build were he did the automatic 2wd conversion.

Post Thanks / Like
    The details aren't even in his build thread, they're in this sub forum here. BTW, he didn't do anything to convert it, all he did was add a fuse to keep the solenoid powered.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha818 View Post
    So besides the cover plate, all I need is to put the fuse in to keep it in "FWD".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisromersh View Post
    The Problem his build thread is 22 pages long w/ 872 post in it. And I have not had the time to find in his build were he did the automatic 2wd conversion.
    That's why they brew beer and televise football and baseball. Should be able to go through a ton of posts during a game! Anything important gets shown more than once, I always watch and surf the net during games.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    That's why they brew beer and televise football and baseball. Should be able to go through a ton of posts during a game! Anything important gets shown more than once, I always watch and surf the net during games.
    The problem with this plan I forget I'm suppose to be reading and get into the game and then I loose my place.

OK so if I continually power the solenoid that disconnects rear output from the transmission do it still need to be removed the rear tail of the transmission for clearance for the body of car?

Also do the axles from 4EAT or 5EAT work with the WRX hubs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisromersh View Post
    Also do the axles from 4EAT or 5EAT work with the WRX hubs?
    I'm using the front inner CVs from my automatic donor on my 5MT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here, My donor was an o4 forester xt with AT. I used front AT inner cv >> ffr axle >> rear AT hubs with a 5mt transmission.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuse to power solenoid = wiring harness, modded or not. Just something to keep in mind. The clutch is driven by ABS input to the trans computer, etc blah.

Caution: a shift solenoid is located under the dimple holding the pan magnet and any pressure (like a trans jack) will crush it into the valve body. Keeping the AWD temp light available in the harness for diagnosis helps.

Just one chapter in "how I spent my winter hobby time." 99 Foruster.