Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shipping outside of Stewart

Post Thanks / Like

Shipping outside of Stewart

So, I'm sure a bunch of you that don't have a car yet, are wondering how you can get a better deal than Stewart as I think they are very expensive.
    Here is my experience, even though it had some issues, which could happen with Stewarts too as I heard from some people, the car is here and I saved a bunch of money.

I'm near Denver, Colorado.
    Stewart wanted $1800. you don't need a crate with them.
    FFR can build a crate for an additional $700, which most other shipper will require, which leaves you with $1100 or less to be able to save money. It's tough to find anybody to do it for that.
    I was looking into flying there and renting a truck, driving there, etc....... not worth it and really not saving money and wasting so much time.....
    I looked on the forum, and was trying to find somebody in Colorado that was also getting a kit. Hooked up with a guy from here, Paul who also ordered an 818 and lives near Denver.
    FFR can build a crate, Which is that same as the single crate, but it has one full kit in it, and all the boxes from the other kit. The second chassis/body assembly is strapped to the top of the crate. That crate is also $700.
    Now you have a single crate, that cost you $350 ($700 total split between the 2 guys), and you have a surface area of a truck that is the same as one crate, just a bit heavier.
    I used Uship, which is not ideal, but put you in contact with companies that just bid on your shipment.
    I found a company, 1st Class shipping (that should really be called last class shipping as they suck), which is actually a broker, that bid the job, for a affordable amount... $1286... I think..... anyway, the first company they hired, could not pickup because they were morons, the second one they picked was a little more money, it was UPS freight.
    Shipment was picked up, lost, shipped to Chicago, and finally made it here. There were a few issues like scratches on some of the panels of the kti that was on top as it seems that since FFR just duct tape the panels on, a door fell off, probably during a loading or unloading ...and some of the stuff that FFR stored inside got scratched, which technically is not that big of a deal since the no-paint new body is far from being no-paint!
    So, to make a long story, which could have been a lot longer, short, we ended up paying a total of $2350 for the shipment of both kits vs the $3600 it would have been with Stewart, and ended up saving (or not spending, depending which way you look at it) $625 each, which is not negligible!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my exocar kit through Stewart but the actual carrier was Lamb. They are perfectly fine and one should save by dealing direct.DSCN4657.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart shipped to the Washington BC border for me for $2000 and didn't need a crate. Awesome service and just met me in a random parking Lot and dropped it in my trailer so I could do the border import myself. Reliable peace of mind was worth it for me.