Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: stock exhaust manifold?

Post Thanks / Like

stock exhaust manifold?

I had to cut off my heat shield around my stock exhaust manifold as it was rotted, is anyone running it on an 818 without the shields? I was gonna wrap as much of the pipe as I could. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I went the ceramic coated route. My turbo is also ceramic coated and wears a turbo blanket to keep warm at night.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am keeping the stock manifolds and getting them ceramic coated. I'm also planning to wrap them. Anyone
    Know if that's a bad idea to do both?

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    nope you can do both, you will get moisture in the wrap and that may shorten the life of the coating though.

just don't wrap the flex joints.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've read some people use high-temp flat-sheen spray paint to lightly paint the wrap after it's in place. They claim this prevents water absorption and corrosion of the metal. No idea if it would help with the coating life though. It does look nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heat shields were always extraneous. I've removed them pretty much as soon as they started to rust (from WRX and Forrester).
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    I've read some people use high-temp flat-sheen spray paint to lightly paint the wrap after it's in place. They claim this prevents water absorption and corrosion of the metal. No idea if it would help with the coating life though. It does look nice.
    You have to use the silicone spray. It does improve the look some, and keep the outer layers from wearing, but the inner wrap will still rot out over time. The increased temps will also wear any coating out faster. I believe that if you really need wrap, you should just put a "just as effective" sheetmetal heatshield on. If you cant do that because of space requirements, move stuff around until you have space.

In the case of the 818, there's enough space that there shouldnt be an issue.

edit: Silicone spray example...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010301
    DEI-010301_xl.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you using the stock exhaust, where are you running the tail pipe? I've just started mounting the body, but it looks like the WRX exhaust will for the tailpipe to pass through a strange place in the rear bumper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of us are making our own exhaust from the turbo back depending on where you want to make the exhaust exit. I am hoping to figure out a way to do a dual outlet - one on each end of the rear mesh.

If you want to use the stock WRX downpipe, FFR supplies a stainless exhaust adapter that actually angles the exhaust towards the rear passenger side at the bottom rear of the quarter panel, and a SS tip for the exit. I want something more attractive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out www.replicaparts.com for different exhaust options.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    If you want to use the stock WRX downpipe, FFR supplies a stainless exhaust adapter that actually angles the exhaust towards the rear passenger side at the bottom rear of the quarter panel, and a SS tip for the exit. I want something more attractive.
    Do you mean the pieces that come with the kit? I don't mind the look of them. But I don't like the place where I'd have to cut a hole in the rear bumper for it to exit.

I might find a way to extend the upper part of the stock downpipe to get the tip to exit below the bumper. Or I guess I'll fabricate a whole custom set up.

I like the AJW system, but I prefer the tip to go either through mesh or under the bumper, rather than through the fiberglass above the transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Check out www.replicaparts.com for different exhaust options.
    Mike
    Thanks, Michael! The 3" stainless steel with cat is just what I'm after. I guess i better start saving up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    Thanks, Michael! The 3" stainless steel with cat is just what I'm after. I guess i better start saving up.
    I bought a bracket and Al trim ring from Mike since I already bought pieces for my own exhaust. Nice parts.

FYI... mine consists of a Kinugawa bellmouth (I bought a new, but you could hack a used downpipe for that piece), two pieces of 3" SS304 tubing (one straight tailpipe, and one 60deg elbow) and a Flowmaster Super 10 muffler.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping to make something that is hidden and dumps downward on the passenger side, requiring no cutting in the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping to make something that is hidden and dumps downward on the passenger side, requiring no cutting in the body.
    Hindsight,
    The is mine. I'm using the FFR angle adapter, forester downpipe, and FFR supplied tip. This sounds like what you are looking for.
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg ex.jpg (262.2 KB, 781 views)
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks a lot like what I have. But I don't like where it punches through the bumper. Although I'd like to see it on a car with the body on before I ditch it for a custom piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I was thinking too. But I don't think it's possible with the stock downpipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am keeping the stock manifolds and getting them ceramic coated. I'm also planning to wrap them. Anyone
    Know if that's a bad idea to do both?
    I've seen recommendations not to wrap the headers. The issue is that the wrap can absorb oil due to the location under the heads and this creates a fire hazard. Given that those headers glow red under stress, I'm a little uncomfortable having oily wrap covering them.

Post Thanks / Like
    So far I've had nothing but positive responses to ceramic coating and wrapping the exhaust. Cuts the heat loss down substantially.

Also, as far as exhaust goes, here is what I am looking for...... looks aggressive.
    818S rear view.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Westview View Post
    I've seen recommendations not to wrap the headers. The issue is that the wrap can absorb oil due to the location under the heads and this creates a fire hazard. Given that those headers glow red under stress, I'm a little uncomfortable having oily wrap covering them.
    I actually had an engine fire once in the wrx because I got oil on my header wrap. If I didn't have immediate access to a hose the car would've probably burned up. Also, the wrap does trap moisture and it will eventually rust, even SS headers will rust.

So far I've had nothing but positive responses to ceramic coating and wrapping the exhaust. Cuts the heat loss down substantially.

Also, as far as exhaust goes, here is what I am looking for...... looks aggressive.
    818S rear view.jpg
    That's pretty much what I want as well.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for the pic Bob.

Regarding the blue car pic above, I agree it looks very nice but it almost looks like those are fake exhaust pipes and that the real pipe is on the right side just behind the tire?

With the transmission in the way, it seems a dual setup like this would be a real challenge but I do agree it looks very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thx for the pic Bob.

Regarding the blue car pic above, I agree it looks very nice but it almost looks like those are fake exhaust pipes and that the real pipe is on the right side just behind the tire?
    Yes, definitely fake, since that's a Photoshop someone did of the blue R. The real car only has a single exhaust on the right side wher you described.

I was thinking of doing something like this, but went with a 3" single exhaust out the mesh only on the right. I realized that there would be no benefit to a dual set-up (only aesthetic) and it would just add weight and complexity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Yes, definitely fake, since that's a Photoshop someone did of the blue R. The real car only has a single exhaust on the right side wher you described.

I was thinking of doing something like this, but went with a 3" single exhaust out the mesh only on the right. I realized that there would be no benefit to a dual set-up (only aesthetic) and it would just add weight and complexity.

That is one of Vman's photoshops.

Those of us that are contemplating an ez36 build dual exhausts are a definite possibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Those of us that are contemplating an ez36 build dual exhausts are a definite possibility.
    Yeah, for a N/A or twin turbo set-up, absolutely... dual exhaust makes perfect sense and looks great! But with a single turbo like most of us have, it's extra weight and expense for no gain, which is against the spirit of the 818, IMHO.

So, George... got the garage cleared out and a kit on order yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    We're making good progress, or I should say my wife is making good progress. She,"who must be obeyed" insists on taking on this project. We got both cars in the garage now but in the new year, the basement adjoining the garage will be emptied into the garage to facilitate the remodeling of the basement (a condition for approval for the 818). This summer (crossing my fingers) I'll be sending my deposit to FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob. Is your exhaust system street legal and not too loud. I think the EPA wants us to use a new cat to register the car.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    We have two small mufflers in place (the "race bullet" can be swapped with a cat, which we will install for inspection), and we were measured at 87db at ~75 feet at our last autocross, which is just quiet enough to pass some of the local autocross club's sound requirements.

I believe most state's will require a muffler and a cat of some sort (as well as other emissions equipment from the year of the motor in the car, such as the charcoal canister, etc.). You would be best off seeing if you can get the list of requirements from your local DMV because there are variances from state to state.

Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CU9DZ View Post
    Bob. Is your exhaust system street legal and not too loud. I think the EPA wants us to use a new cat to register the car.
    Dave
    Hi Dave
    Right now Ohio is not doing exhaust testing any more. So ya, I'm legal.
    Here is a video so you can judge the sound.

https://youtu.be/HMoxIhjYX0c

Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice video Bob. I like the sound.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015